Verizon, AT&T or T-Mobile? And which modem is best for them?

AFAIK all the modems have some GPS built in, Purism just doesn’t connect the antenna to them.

2 Likes

Still, not clear how would all that work out.
We will hear from Pursim for these specifics, once modems like this become available

A different site may have this modem available. The price is $199 however. Note for North America, the need is for the -A subtype as there are regional variations in this modem.
See: https://www.4gltemall.com/quectel-em06-lte-cat6-module.html

Also note this pdf from the manufacturer and the subtype modems as listed on p. 2.

1 Like

i dont see voice support listed anywhere.

I’ve seen that listing. At that price I’d rather deal with longer lead times.

I see it listed under enhanced features as digital audio and VoLTE. I am curious what the optional in this context means though.
EDIT: If you look at the information for the Broadmobi 818, you will be left with even more questions.

Approval for Verizon is still “under development”.
Just weird that the whole SMS functionality is under development as well.

Just got off the phone with a rep from Quectel. He said the Verizon and AT&T certifications would be done this month. As far as the VoLTE goes thats just firmware dependent. With the broad range of bands supported and the amount of linux drivers available its a wonder that Purism would choose the broadmobi.
Sorry Tatatirci I forgot to ask about the SMS thing.

1 Like

I think I’m gonna buy this one. It’s 79 or 99 for pre order. It just looks superior to both of the offers from purism. I wish gemalto had this coverage, but what you gonna do.
BTW, I wouldn’t be surprised is Purism eventually offer Quectel.

Looking at alibaba for volume price reference, I want to say it was like 35 bucks when ordering 1k? Seems logical to ditch the 818 and go with the EM06.

35 ?? That’s like 2 - 3 x cheaper. Now, who do we get to volunteer here and collect our money , order it and deal with the imports - customs ? :slight_smile:

Does anyone know if this modem will work with librem5? Will it work with the kernel compiled for the phone?

It should work but I don’t know if any additional driver downloads/configurations would be needed. It would be nice if we could get some official answers/clarifications on alternative modem compatibility out of the box. As phones start shipping I think we will find out in due time regardless.

I didn’t order till the specs were finalized so I won’t see one for a while. still. I will happily try it once I have it regardless.

1 Like

The Quectel EM06 can be found on eBay for roughly $80 but I hate to spend that kind of money and it not work.

Anyway Quectel_EM06-E and Quectel_EM05-E are already compatible with the Australian & New Zealand RCM compliance requirements and with the EU CE(RED) compliance requirements:

Quectel_EM06-E_RCM_Certificate on: 2018-07-12 Amount: 1
Quectel_EM06-E_CE(RED)_Certificate on: 2018-07-12 Amount: 1
Quectel_EM05-E_RCM_Certificate on: 2019-08-14 Amount: 3
Quectel_EM05-E_CE(RED)_Certificate on: 2019-08-14 Amount: 4

I have an interesting option for those seeking to consider a modem not offered as a substitute for use with Librem 5, at least for ATT and possibly for Verizon as well.
This is Sierra Wireless EM7565 which is an M.2 card modem with B slot (SATA use then for the slot of the M.2 card usage as versus e-PCI M.2 cards not workable). This modem is planned for ATT, Verizone(LTE anyway), Vodafone as well as others and is MULTI-regional (Global!!) with LTE band supports for B1,B2, B3, B4,B5, B7, B8, B9, B12, B13, B18, B19, B20, B26, B28, B29, B30, B32, B41, B42, B43, B46, B48 and B66 as well as G3 B1, B2,B3,B4, B5, B6,B8,B9 and B19.
"There is a open source Linux in-kernel driver supporting MBIM interface and it is called cdc_mbim…First install the libmbim and libmbim-utils Linux library using your system package manager "
The story appears confused as the package Sierrawireless_airprime_em_series_datasheet20170901 (pdf) states e-PCI, but the manual clearly states “slot B-compatible” indicating it will work with the SATA card slot unlike the general ePCI cards. See https://ltefix.com/shop/modems/sierra-wireless-airprime-cards/sierra-wireless-em7565-cat-12-m-2-modem/ (manual p. 16)
The modem is pricey as might be expected, but it does not require jockeying back and forth for travel.
A thought for those who want multi-regional flexibility.

Price listed on site $173. I expect that if the modem availability persists, the price may well be lower by the time that most of us receive our Librem 5 units.

I contacted sierra wireless a while back and if I remember correctly they dont have m.2 cellular modems with voice support nor is voice support listed on the modem you referenced.

As noted elsewhere on the site, supposedly plans for voice-enabled has been on Sierra’s menu and was to have been implemented as is noted here from 2016: https://forum.sierrawireless.com/t/em7455-voice-enabled-firmware/8657

1 Like