Viability Of A Global Independent Mesh-Network in 2021

Probably fast enough to browse the Gemini protocol :slight_smile: , which really is a lot of fun.

2 Likes

ā€¦ and here: A different way to internet? Project Gemini

I would suppose that Gemini allows access to images and even web resolution images are going to be painful at kilobit speeds.

Still, if we are going to go back to dialup speeds, maybe we need to go back to pages that are engineered for dialup speeds.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing leetaur and irvinewade, I wasnā€™t aware of Project Gemini, definitely could offer a viable solution at kbps speeds. I guess Iā€™d rather have kbps then zero bps when the corporation-government partnership finally own it all :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Something funny occurred to me about low frequencies. Theyā€™ll never get a bit bigger than the sine wave itself.

1 Like

@tracy Which means the first among FSF-endorsed distros.

You can link to images in Gemini. They do not automatically load in Gemini browsers though, which I really appreciate.

If you click on the link, some browsers like Amfora will ask if you want to download the image (and then can be viewed in another app).

Lagrange is a graphical browser, and if you click on an image it can display it in the browser itself.

So unless you intentionally choose to save (or load) images, Gemini is very low bandwidth.

1 Like

Well, we donā€™t have to look too far back in history to know that if this system becomes a threat to the agenda what was once legal, will quickly be illegal.

Moving nodes would might work at the local levelā€¦ we still need intercontinental bridging.

Being strategic about the problem:

I donā€™t think we have a year to get it ready before this next scam is deployed.

Not enough time to build out a system.

Stop-gap measures:
Jacking into current infrastructure thru less than sanctioned means: Sleeve antenna can intercept internet traffic thru induction. Can it also inject internet traffic? If so, physical access to a lineā€¦ anywhere along the lineā€¦ could provide an intercontinental bridge into the mesh-net.

The ultimate solution nobody is talking about:
Longitudinal wave comms: That would be unstoppable. Tesla left enough clues to resurrect it. Resources need to get channeled in that direction while we still have a somewhat free internet.

1 Like

Fidonet! :nerd_face:

Snow Crash

When expanding on the idea of what is legal may become Illegal, when it comes to using Amateur radio, international communications already have special rules with respect to third-party communications or relaying messsges. An amateur radio mesh network would likely only be legal for this reason within the US and certain other cooperating countries under US law. There are ā€œthird partyā€ rules when passing along international messages to non-amateur users which is inevitable to happen in an un-controlled network. But only some countries are affected.

The US only has Amateur radio communication treaties with certain countries and not others. So Amateur radio operators everywhere are allowed to talk to eachother, regardless of what country their license is based in. But message traffic can not be passed along between the US to others in other countries with no treaties who are not themselves licensed. As soon as any international communication is relayed from an amateur radio operator to another person who does not have a license in their own country in a country with no treaty, then US laws have been broken.

So letā€™s say that an African country (for example), has no third-party communications treaty with the US. As two licensed Amateur radio operators in these two countries communicate with eachother, no laws are broken. But letā€™s say that the US operator asks the operator in Africa to make a local call to someone else, to give them some information from the US operator. Letā€™s say that the local person receiving that phone call does not have an Amateur radio license themselves. In such a case, the American licensed operator would have broken the law. To keep this from happening in a mesh network, controls would need to be added, which defeats the whole purpose of the mesh network anyway. So no international link would be practical.

1 Like
INT QSO INT QTQ
QSJ 20 EUROS QSP 3560KHZ

(Had to add this else the formatting bot would not let me submit the above since it wasnā€™t a ā€œcomplete sentenceā€.)

Or use aerostats (blimps, balloons). Project Loon already tried this and Google shut it down after X years as unviable but you never know.