Vibration/drop resistance

Hi, I’m worried about resistance of the phone to vibration/drops. It looks like Libre 5 has quite a heavy SoC package (w/ heatspreader), that will multiply any forces compared to many times lighter weight plastic SoC packages used on other phones when the phone undergoes vibration or hits the floor. Those forces can crack individual tiny solder balls of the BGA. It’s a common failure mode of BGA packages in drop tests.

It doesn’t help that there’s quite a bit of empty space inside the phone, so if the metal heatspreader snaps off, it can cause quite a lot of damage by shorting connections. It also looks like a heatpipe is going to be added on top, further increasing the possible shock stresses.

Is there/will there be underfill under the SoC to reduce the possibility of shock/vibration damage due to higher weight of the SoC?

4 Likes

Unlike the good old days, when engineers would do a drop test below:

HP3000 Drop Test video

4 Likes

omg ! first time i read “can crack individual tiny soldiers balls” :rofl:

1 Like

I thought the same. We can only hope that they did thorough testing. I don’t expect them to have Mil grade (LG V series) but it should be somewhat decent drop resistance

1 Like