VLC not working with NVIDIA

HI, I have tried to install VLC either via apt-get or Ubuntu Software, but every time I click on it it does not work, shiowing extra large symbols in a window that extends my workspace both horizontally and vertically.

Do you have any error logs you can post? Purism doesn’t sell Nvidia products, so you might just need to use another distribution if you rely on that graphics card.

Or install the proprietary drivers for the GPU and fix the errors you are having on PureOS.

I don’t know what I did, but it fixed itself. Could be just restarting with ethernet cable in. I also noticed that there are 2 VLC programs in Software, and one of them works, one does not. I also don’t really know if I am using NVIDIA or Intel, would anyone please tell me how to check it?

Do you have a Librem? If you have a Librem laptop, then you only have the integrated Intel graphics chip.

But in general, you can run

lspci -nn | grep '\[03' from the command line. On my Dell XPS 15, I get

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 630 [8086:591b] (rev 04) 01:00.0 3D controller [0302]: NVIDIA Corporation GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile] [10de:1c8d] (rev a1)

So you can see both the Intel integrated graphics card and the Nvidia card.

I think this command will reveal whether graphics are getting offloaded to the Nvidia card

glxinfo | grep OpenGL

If you see Intel, you’re not using Nvidia. If you see Nvidia, then it’s enabled.

But again, if you have a Librem laptop, there simply is no Nvidia card.

1 Like

Thank you very much, that helped a lot. It appears I have NVIDIA (laptop Lenovo ThinkPad),
but it is not enabled.