VOIP with jmp.chat and gajim

Thanks. Already tried that successfully. Problem is it doesn’t use Contacts, while Linphone etc. have their own contact list at least. With Gnome Calls currently you have to enter the phone number manually for VOIP calls. That will be fixed eventually I guess, but who knows when.

1 Like

Yet, it is on our TO-DO list.

4 Likes

You can try using blabber.im. I have received phone calls with it (the sound quality was pretty good) and can use for texting too. I have never tried to call anyone with it, however, I would assume that it should work too.

It’s only available now for mobile devices.

1 Like

So I put my librem 5 away in a drawer for a while, because I bought a Pixel and installed CalyxOS as my daily driver. I recently pulled out my librem 5 to test again VOIP calling, as I gave up on the VoLTE on librem 5 a while ago. Perhaps it works now, I don’t know.

So I have a jmp.chat account and again tried calls with XMPP with multiple clients. I still have the same problem with the other end of the calling hearing my voice. pavucontrol shows the microphone is working. fuser shows PulseAudio has the microphone, as expected. I tried various things that had been suggested in the forums like turning off one of the microphones etc. but nothing solved the problem. I also tried a headset with microphone with the same result. Has anyone else gotten XMPP calling working completely?

Anyway, fortunately jmp.chat supports SIP as well so I used the gnome-calls app to make calls. The Contacts issue is now fixed, as now I can make calls using Contacts. However, often the call was ended immediately. I finally realized that if the contact entry was just the 10 digit (US) phone number but didn’t start with +1 the call immediately failed and I saw a message saying Contact not found. So I will be putting + and the country dialing code (1 for US) in all my contact entries. I chatted with jmp.chat support and suggested maybe they should be prefixing the +1 if a 10 digit number is received (without the +1 prefix) but they said SIP is handled by their carrier.

The other issue I ran into is sometimes when I called I got an automated message saying the call was restricted. I noticed that the cell bars symbol on the phone had a lock symbol on it. If I turned off cellular and used just WiFi to make the calls, the calls worked. Somehow, the APN settings were missing for my SIM card (Keepgo) for cellular. By setting the APN correctly, the lock symbol went away and I calls worked (including of course the other end hearing my voice) using cellular data.

So since I had the issue with the cell service with the lock symbol despite having WiFi on, this implies to me that the Calls app is using the cellular transport instead of WiFi for the SIP calls. I would prefer of course to use WiFi instead of cellular for SIP calls when both are on. I don’t see anyway to configure that. Anybody have an ideas as to whether setting a priority order or something like that is possible with GNOME calls when using SIP?

Thanks.

1 Like

I use JMP.chat and Gajim. Works pretty well. I call people they call me. I updated to the recommended PAVUControl settings. I haven’t had as many complaints about the echo.

It is not perfect. Sometimes calls are dropped. Sometimes the modem shuts down. It is still buggy but I accept that. It seems like a fair number of things on the Librem 5 are just a tad buggy. Again, I accept this. Purism and the developers seem to be making consistent changes and I am very pleased with the updates.

It isn’t perfect but it does the job for me. I can call people on wifi and text them from a number that costs me about $1.50 a month. I’ll take it.

1 Like

What recommended pavucontrol settings are you referring to?

Thanks.

This link, I believe: Internal Mic Fix?

Loki post from January 30.

1 Like

OK, thanks, I tried that but it didn’t work for me. Since it indicated that pulseaudio configuration change would prevent the volume from being too low, I thought that might fix the problem. but it didn’t. Plus I don’t seem to have problem using GNOME-Calls with SIP.

Thanks anyway.

I use jmp.chat with Dino via the adaptable version. Incoming calls works perfectly, but there is a small bug that prevents outgoing calls, but the Dino team has a possible solution and it should be getting patched shortly.

3 Likes

Any news on this? I am struggling to get JMP.chat to work with Dino.

Well, I mean I signed up through Cheogram, which was done all through dino. I think followed their instructions to play a call. Kind of cumbersome to call someone, but receiving calls was super easy. It just rings like someone is trying to video or audio conference you.

Edit: and I apologize, but it seems I was jumping the gun. I saw that when I got a call to the number, that it was working simply because it rang on the L5. However, picking the call up is problematic because Dino struggles to find the mic, etc.

So no, it is not working.

Have no solution, but…

can you try to launch the Dino-App from a Terminal (to get Error Messages) and reproduce the issue?

Would be nice if you post the error Messages here or on notepad.

I think some XMPP Servers are not right configured to use kind of Voice or Video Chat. However its a new Feature which should work if both parties use the same up to date Server and shared XMPP Accounts. so jmp.chat should work if it connect to some other jmp.chat account.

Maybe you can try to start your dino Program with verbose Error Messages too. Dig into the Manual. However some issues may be at the Webserver side, however i think its minor in your case. You could try to use another Server too, where you or friends can see the Servers loged Error or Messages too. To Debug that issue.

With gajim, i had some encryption issues after i updated the Python Version or the library used. So i had to generate and trust a new Key for some accounts usage with E2E encryption. I think that it not your issue, but i just want to mention it for the record.

Good Luck!

Yep. That is pretty much where I got with it. Thank you, though, for your response.

I think I am switching to Movim through a browser. Looks A LOT easier.

Does Movim work with the calling though? And yes, I agree. Movim is by far the best web client right now. I find the social aspect tacked onto it, mildly annoying, however.

Development on Dino seems to be have slowed some, so no idea when the issue might be addresses. If Movim is working with audio and video calling that would be awesome.

My hunch is that Dino is just not able to grab the microphone due to the possible non-standard nature of the context. If Dino were able to find the microphone then I think it would work.

1 Like

Hallo, I read " GNOME Calls VoIP feature works okay with my SIP account at sipgate.de "

I wanted to configure my existing sipgate.de the same way - no success, no calls become established.

Question:
Could you please post a template with the syntax used?
Some kind of complete (anonymised) screenshot from the Librem5 GNOME settings-GUI?
What way is the server string written, what way the “Benutzerkennung” etc., this would be very helpful.
Thanks a lot in advance.

Picking up on this use case somewhat - I am trying to use JMP.chat and Gnome Calls and everything works except for audio passing bidirectionally. Do you know if there’s a straightforward way to work out what’s failing here?

1 Like

Many times the one way audio on SIP has to do with NAT. Start there to see if something isn’t traversing your network or a port isn’t open on a firewall.

3 Likes

I wish I did. It works sometimes but not all the time for people to call my JMP.chat number using Calls. I can always call out.

1 Like