Problem:

Very bad Internet in Waydroid if behind Surfshark vpn running

Reproduce:

On a librem 5

• PureOS
    Waydroid installed
    Surfshark VPN app installed
    Results:
    VPN connected makes the internet connection very bad to waydroid (not nothing but just very bad).
    VPN disconnection makes internet comes back again perfectly to waydroid.
    It is only a problem in waydroid (for odysee and browser for example, but some apps get a little signal though)

Why?

1 Like

Not sure. Have you tried using a different VPN and seeing if the behavior is reproducible?

“Bad” as in high latency? Packet loss? Jitter?

Testing from within waydroid as well as packet captures on the host could shed some light on the issue.

1 Like

Problem: Only from within Waydroid, and actually from a windows vm on my librem 14 with the same surfshark vpn app. Some pakets seem to go through but only for le login of my xmpp client. Browsers don’t work.

1. Tried with a vpn installed with an openvpn file (half-manual installation)
  2. The surfshark app is a linux basic app with gui, installed with a script. It can connect only with wireguard, no tcp neither udp connection are working.
    I have just found on their website in the detiails that the app works only from Debian 11 so the PureOs 10 does not work 100%,

Conclusion: that is why the vpn app only works with the Wireguard connection, not the tcp neither udp connections), and neither for passthrough to a vm on my librem 14 or to waydroid on my librem 5.

1 Like