Web app pretty unstable these days

hello,

I notice lately, that, the web app has difficulties to render wwb pages, even on this forum.

This could range from an error message when automatically refreshing a page to the app closing without any error message.

Is there any setting that can help to make the web app more resilient in case a resource cannot be processed correctly?

You’re talking about the Gnome Web web browser, right?

yes, indeed.

Since a few days, I am experiencing the same issues with gnome web. I noticed an update of a package containing something like libwebkit in its name shortly before the issues started to happen. I do not remember the exact name of the package.

dpkg-query --list | grep libwebkit

libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37:arm64 is the package. Is there a command to show the most recently installed packages? The update consisted of maybe 3-4 packages.

You may have a look at

grep 'status installed' /var/log/dpkg.log | tail -30

I have the same(?) problem. My web apps freeze immediately when interacting with them. Any solution to this?

I’ve noticed that it not only occurs with the Gnome Web Browser, Tor browser is also showing this behaviour.

I believe that this is this issue: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/debs/epiphany/-/issues/38#note_199782

There is a workaround that works for me in the ticket. The sudo apt install command (I can’t figure out how to copy it to this post on my phone).

Simple workaround: use Firefox instead. I also noticed instability and problems rendering pages in the default “web” app - but since I’m a Firefox user on other platforms anyway (GNU/ Linux Desktop and Android) it was not much of an issue for me. Firefox works quite well on the Librem 5 (I’m typing this reply using it, with an external Blutooth Keyboard).

I’d be interested comparing it to the “Web” app, though, once it becomes usable again. When Firefox is running the phone is getting warmer and the battery running out faster than when it’s not running, especially when having web.telegram.org open.

Another nuisance: when Firefox is playing an audio stream (a “podcast”) and I turn of the phone’s screen (to save battery) the audio starts stuttering. This does not happen with “proper” audio players like Lollypop or mplayer.

3 Likes

Tor is a modified Firefox browser. :wink: