What are "purple" and "laboratory," and are they related to "green" and "landing"?

I’m learning to develop an app for the Librem 5, and two of the options in the Librem 5 Image Builder script for the distribution are PureOS “laboratory” and PureOS “purple.” These seem to be related to the scheme laid out in the Development section of the PureOS Wiki of “landing” being the development version and “green” being the stable version of PureOS, but I can’t find anything that confirms this.

What is the significance of these terms, i.e. is laboratory analogous to landing and purple to green? Is the version of PureOS for the Librem 5 the same as the current PureOS for computers, or are these separate versions of PureOS?

1 Like

https://repo.puri.sm/pureos/dists shows all four. I have to imagine that is for the laptops/tablet and the mobile OS would be different (although they did promise hacking a convergence design for GNOME), but I don’t know. I also wonder if landing is just a place to copy over from Debian Testing, and then the purity/hardware adaptions get applied into one of the other dists.

I guess the more wordy version of the scheme you linked is What is PureOS and how is it built?, without adding much technical detail.
But it does say, that landing is not only incoming Debian-Testing, but also patches to these, @ArloJamesBarnes

Most likely, both laboratory and purple are only meant to be internal, not advertised to end users.

Laboratory seems pretty clear. Does what it says :wink: . It contains stuff they are currently working on, without any guarantees on quality or whether it will actually be in green anytime soon. It is very small and specifically contains lots of the packages currently in development for the phone, as you can see by inspecting (download/extract/view) the package list.

For purple, I have no clue. Maybe it is “green-next”, so if packages are believed to be ready to go green, they are first added to purple to check if everything works as expected, preventing to break green.

Depends on what you mean. If you deep-dive into the repository structure (linked by Arlo above), you can see that green contains packages for amd64 (PC) and arm64 (phone). So yes, same version of PureOS, but compiled for different architectures, of course.

4 Likes