What are these boot options?

Can someone please explain what these different boot options are?
I just selected the first one since it seemed to be default.
Sure would be helpful is the UI allowed for the long names.

Boot options offered by QubesOS.

You just repeated what (s)he said.

This being the case, because it is an operating system that Purism isn’t directly responsible for.

If I install Windows on my Librem and then come here asking about the windows boot manager, I would expect a similar response. The obvious solution would have been to go to the Qubes support channels and ask about their boot options. Of course, it could have been sugar coated a smidge more.

Sure, but the UI crops the names, and the UI is part of what Purism provides.
Further, Purism states that it is hardware works with Qubes.
If you are going to make that statement, at the very least the UI can be made a little wider to actually show the full names. That would seem trivial. Hence the statement in the OP; “Sure would be helpful i[f] the UI allowed for the long names.”

Is there a different mode I can boot in, to see those names in a different format, perhaps in a shell?

That seems fair enough, but just remember you are dealing with a small company that has a finite amount of resources and a finite amount of time.

Also the names being cropped are not really that informative. I know nothing really about Qubes other than how it roughly works, but could see that the first option is using a specific hypervisor. I would imagine the options below it iterate on that option to some degree. I’m not convinced if you could read the entire entry that the difference would be obvious.

Re: "… but just remember you are dealing with a small company that has a finite amount of resources and a finite amount of time.:

Hmm … maybe we can help with that?

I am an extremely involved member of PIVX.org which is a privacy focused crypto currency. We have a VERY large global and friendly community. (So big, we broke Slack and were forced to move to Discord) I know a few are big fans of Purism. Maybe they can join here and over time, climb the learning curve and answer the newbie and/or common questions? That will free the core team here to just answer the hard ones.

Myself, I have 5 Librem 15 laptops and a Librem 5 about to be shipped.

Cheers.

3 Likes

apreciate the link but …

PIVX: Private – Instant – Verified – Transaction(Tx), is a pioneer in Proof of Stake (PoS) technology and an MIT licensed, open source, decentralized blockchain-based cryptocurrency focused on achieving fungibility, transaction privacy, community governance, network scalability, and real-world utilization to become one of the most technically advanced globally-accepted online digital currency. NOTE: New Privacy Protocol is in development.

the MIT license is copyleft but not GPL …was hoping for just that …

5 Librem 15s ? you beat Snowden +1 :sweat_smile:

And that’s a fair statement. But the support manager should offer a little more assistance than an answer that I would give if I were trying to be an ass.

the PureBoot UI just parses out the entries from the grub.cfg, maintaining the same order. In most cases the first option is the one you should select / set as default. I agree that we could handle long lines better.

1 Like