What happened to Librem 15?

I feel your disappointment.
But the shippment of the L5 phones has begun. One showed up on german “ebay-Kleinanzeigen”, last week.

Purisms pursuit on building notebooks and phones with secure proprietary hardware and software at the same time was not a trivial one. In fact, it was highly ambitioned.

But I just bought a L14 and expect it to ship by next month.
Meanwhile I’m very happy with my L15 v4. :grinning:

4 Likes

I’m guessing it’s so that when you’re typing, your hands won’t be centered over an empty area instead of a trackpad.

“I’m not.”
(From Monty Python’s Life of Brian.)
:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Or more precisely, it is centered on the typing area of the keyboard, ignoring the number pad. It is not centered on the chassis. This is standard for a laptop with a number pad, like for the reason you specified; having the thumbs on the spacebar be near the touchpad is likely preferable to having to move your hands further away from the home row to get to the center of the chassis.

2 Likes

You mean they will be centered over an empty area, meaning you have to move your hands strangely to re center them every time you want to use the trackpad.

Oh, okay, that’s a good answer I guess.

1 Like

Yes. The root cause of the problem here being the aesthetic abomination that is a num pad :slight_smile:

I love the 4K screen on the Librem 15, which pulls off 60 FPS at that resolution quite competently. It also helps that it’s matte, so I don’t get any significant reflections. 4K/60 is a must in any future purchase on my part. I could potentially tolerate OLED, but matte is by far superior. I think it would be cool if you could convert the 15 to a 16 by pulling the same thin-bezel trick that took you from 13 to 14, but I’d prefer you not do that if it means abandonning matte.

4 Likes

I think the question about spare parts is important for Purism to answer, since it’s been one of their selling points.

4 Likes

I agree, I am running CAD and need the ability to see the details of what I am creating. Lots of processing power, storage and screen are critical. I own a Librem 15 and I love it, I got one of the last ones. I just bit the bullet and invested in a Precision 7080 17" running 4- 1T SSD’s, Xeon, 64megs of ram. I would have rather gave Purism that $5k for a custom built 17" machine, that was actually secure. I am running 4 flavors of Linux and its as locked down as I have the time to make it. However the thing is swiss cheese in terms of privacy, so I use my Lib 15 for “research”…How about a line of custom machines for those with expense accounts that can justify the costs to the bean counters? I understand what a massive undertaking it is just to bring a product to market and produce it constantly. But you might find a market in the meantime, for some limited production runs for some really screamin secure machines, that are high end in the $4-6K range. How hard can it be to find some nice 17" desktop replacement bodies, drop in the proper components, configure the software as spec’d, add a couple slots for some extra SSD’s and vola, custom “Librem Liberty Workstations”, that scream Awesome! How about that, I even gave you a fitting name for what this company represents to me. “LIBERTY”. Thanks again Purism! you guys are AWESOME!!!

2 Likes

@me !!! :+1: :heart_eyes:
4 flavours of Linux … ontop of Qubes?!

Yep, first I got bit by the, “firebug”. Then I got bit by a rabid Penguin…
They say I got this disease, called “Lin-ex”.
That prick Gates, keeps tryin to stick it to me…
Says he has the fix…not so sure?
Never could understand how someone who created a virus that most of the world embraces, can create anything that could do anything but proliferate. Besides at this stage, I am so far down the Distro wormhole, I’m never coming back. Me and Alice are having a ball. If I told you how many old laptops I have running various flavors of Linux, a black van would probably show up in front of my home to stick me back in the round room and tell me to sit in the corner…Cheers!

2 Likes

since you mentioned CAD Programs which one are you running under Linux? only know Freecad and I think it was NG from Siemens that can run native on linux. So I’d be really interested in what you are using within a it seems corporate setting.

Nobody will hear from me! :shushing_face:

I guess it depends on what I am working on, as to what I will pick out in terms of CAD. Am I building a blueprint, or working in 2d, 3d? am I designing a component, emergency equipment, a building, a hydronic system, a pipeline, or a production line? As far as corporate, I am the CEO, I’m not working on projects generally as a group, normally I pick up a project that someone else started and missed the cue ball, which requires that the software I am using is compatible with whatever it was created with. Sorry I don’t have a better answer, but just like Distros, there’s lots of flavors of CAD. I use what works for the application.

okay then my advice to get a Talos II Workstation and work on it remote for the heavy lifting might not be an option for you since it’s a non x86 System where the Software support might not work and x86 emulation on top of it looses quite a bit of performance from my research into the topic.

1 Like

Thanks Manuel, I checked out the link, bookmarked it for further research. Looks like high quality hardware, I have never heard of them before, I appreciate your taking the time to share this information. It answers the question of where to get secure computers, with Kahonas…looks like they also provide components as well, very nice. Thanks!

I might be in the minority here, but I’m waiting on a 15" or larger laptop because of the numpad. I use the numpad frequently for keyboard shortcuts and number-intensive typing. This requires awkward stretches or Fn key combinations on the smaller keyboard layout. I use a laptop as my primary computer, so the idea of a secondary, portable device (other than a phone) just doesn’t resonate with me. I don’t want to have to use an external keyboard for my primary device.

It would also be really cool to have some extra internal slots for custom hardware (e.g. M.2), something that might be achievable with 15" or larger machine. I ran across a really cool FPGA M.2 card the other day and now my mind is racing with custom hardware possibilities. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Kyle_Rankin
I have been wanting to say something about this documentation topic for months.
I wish I had seen this post before now.

I don’t think I ever saw the wiki before but that maybe just underscores my point.

There is a huge amount of info scattered between the forum and the docs and other places. ( the gitlab repos etc. )
Some of the forum posts by users, or by you or mladen or @nicole.faerber , etc have been super-useful but very hard to find.
I wonder if a few interns or volunteers can dig thru and start making some kind of central map or add the links to a wiki.
Or is there a private AI-crawler project that can be turned loose on the various sites to make an index?
Wish I could formulate this better, but my point is - there is a lot of crucial info scattered around that is hard to find .
If there was only a way to ‘collate’ or the like.
Cheers,
-non-at

5 Likes

Yeah, I’ve seen that card and had those thoughts! Although I’m just started learning FPGA, I will buy based on the educational resources I can find, and I have doubts about Project Icestorm for the Lattice iCE40 chips, and I don’t know of any other fully open source toolchains. Anyways… why not get a separate numpad? The YumPad is a great Open Hardware project https://github.com/mattdibi/yampad and there’s countless number pads to cater to gamers. Right now is a good time to have a keyboard fetish. I personally wouldn’t pay $450 for a IBM Model F, but I might splurge for IBM Model KU-9880 Number Pad! Also, I’m skeptical of introducing new extra slots, new ones compromise and complicate security exponentially. Come to think of it, I suspect your desire for a numberpad might be too small a demographic to cater to. As a small, community-intensive project, I don’t think wishlists are viable. With Open Source, Open Hardware projects, don’t ask what they can do for you, ask what can be done for the larger community: the group of people who are willing to risk putting up the money to buy such “extras”. The internet has desensitized us, as we’re asked over and over again for our individual preferences. That doesn’t work here, in fact I’m kinda glad the Librem 5 has been so delayed, because “fair weather” supporters have been weeded out.