What happened to Librem 15?

You write like you’ve never used UHD on a laptop. The difference is huge.

No, because I don’t need a laptop. But I have 32" UHD monitor. It is comparable to 16" HD. If I sit farther away then 80cm I get troubles to read the text and eyes get tired much faster. I know you may sit closer to a laptop monitor, so WQHD is also ok in this case. But UHD? I guess, if you want to watch a movie it may looks better if you sit close enough. But I don’t think you sit 20-30cm in front of your screen while you want to relaxe with a video.

UHD is great for text. It makes everything nice and smooth, and comfortable to read. I always have to change the terminal font to something that is not designed to replicate the 70’s computers.

Imagine if a book was printed with the pixelation that people think is fine for programming!

1 Like

it’s not about pixelation, it’s about being monospace and readable. Main reason to choose ugly old fonts is because they were designed with these two requirements in mind. You can easily distinguish l from i from I from 1 from ! and 0 from O from o, etc.

2 Likes

dpi dot lv for those of you being confused about scaling … GNOME scaling is usable but needs more work in order to be able to fine tune the desired text size …

kinda offtopic but:
I repaired my Lenovo Ideapad hinges with hot glue after learning it from this guy doing it a lot on his channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLoHEB7m8Fc

(he works in a repair shop in a mall somewhere in Essex, I believe)

2 Likes

So why are you commenting in this thread?

1 Like

I don’t see any pixelated letters when I don’t sit closer then 30cm to monitor (what I never do). What you describe should be possible with WQHD even if you sit 20cm in front of laptop monitor.

But however:

I just wanted to understand the reason I could not see. Sorry for off-topic so far. I got one answer that makes at least little bit sense.

1 Like

A 15" screen, and probably a less cluttered keyboard. I’ve never had a laptop that wasn’t a 15" model. I don’t think I would buy one. 15" is the right size for doing professional work, playing games, watching movies or videos. I don’t know what 14" is for. Maybe people who don’t really work and just use e-mail and Office?

I don’t know what other features are missing because I never bothered looking at the details of the Librem 14 because it’s not shipping, so does not interest me and also it’s 14" so doesn’t really interest me.

But I heard the Librem 14 had a bad keyboard, less ports, and those are dealbreakers.

The Librem 15 doesn’t have a centered trackpad?!?!?!?! Why not?!?!?!

I am also pro a larger screen. I’m a developer working from home without a proper home office, so for me the larger size of the screen is important. The con of the increased size does not matter so much since I don’t carry the laptop around.

Another thing that is important to me is the nits value for the screen. Currently I have a laptop with 500 nits, which makes it possible to sit in the garden while developing. A bit more than 500 would be even better, but it is just enough. After a day in the garden you feel generally a lot better than after a day in the office :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Traveling. A 14-inch screen in a 13-inch chassis is pretty nice. Though I would prefer something even smaller and lighter.

1 Like

What about Librem 5? :wink:

3 Likes

Which reminds me…I need to buy a travel keyboard for it. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@Kyle_Rankin I totally understand the reason why Purism has decided to go this way but as a customer it is really disappointing to see Librem 15 being discontinued. I bought a Librem 15 because it is privacy friendly and repairable. For me buying it was a no brainer as it was not just a standard laptop where the battery dies after 2 years and it is impossible find an original replacement for it. Well, here I am, my Librem 15 is barely older than 1 year and there is no spare parts in the shop… Really did not see that coming…

3 Likes

So you’re saying that Librem doesn’t make business laptops, just traveling laptops? Anyway that doesn’t makes sense to me because it doesn’t matter if I’m working from home or away, I still want a large screen that I can actually use. If I was someone who used just email and a browser I wouldn’t care but someone who works on his computer, it matters!

1 Like

You know what? Librem doesn’t care. They don’t make business laptops, they haven’t shipped the phone they’ve promised for years, they refurbished laptops that they have they actually don’t have, and the new Librem 14 that they have they also don’t have, but for different reasons.

Hm.

Not even close, obviously.
I was replying to your skepticism about the usefulness of the Librem 14. It would be useful to me for traveling, as I would want something small and light for easy packing and carrying. I don’t do work while traveling for leisure, but I do more than just email and Office.

2 Likes

Everyone is different.

My opinion is that, yes, for my work the standard 15.6" would be much better - and if you can get a laptop screen that is usable (just) while on the road then you can make it even better with an external monitor when at home or in the office.

For leisure travel the compromise of smaller for lighter may be a good one - and you might even look at a 10" or 11" tablet if and when Purism creates one.

And the Librem 5 can change the game again - once the convergence works and there are good dock units available.

My guess is that Purism is looking not to spread themselves too thinly - and it’s just unfortunate that the Librem 14 is held up - so right now there are no laptops available.

5 Likes

Owning a L15 v4, I can’t agree more!