What is purism thought process for not selling spare parts?

@JR-Fi If I understand @Kyle_Rankin’s comments #7 and #9 correctly, those parts are available today. They just aren’t available in the shop.

If you need such a part, you’d have to contact Purism and they’re (hopefully) going to help you.
And if enough people turn out to be buying that part, Purism would eventually slap a SKU on it and put it in the shop.

4 Likes

Sure, they may exist… or not (if there aren’t spares for L5 - there is no info, no statement, no advertisement). I’m doubtful about the availability and price at the moment. This situation is not what it should be. It’s not enough to say L5 (or the laptops) can be repaired or that they aren’t glued together. Without available parts that are actually sold they are just as unrepairable as iPhones (were, since iPhones at least have parts available now).

I can’t summarize it better than this.

3 Likes

Then you should put this kind of information on the product and/or store page, preferably with a list of available components and rough price estimates. Otherwise there certainly will be customers who will throw away fixable hardware, because they have no idea that there are indeed spare parts available.

3 Likes

I easily bought a second battery for my Librem 5 off of Ebay. Also that is where I got my Librem 5 last year. But it was a European version of the device so I ordered a US modem from Purism themselves, took about 2 weeks to get it and I have a working LIbrem 5 in the US. Yeah, it has its issues with MMS and atrocious battery life, but it works, just not quite yet ready as my daily driver yet. Its close, for now I am daily driving a Brax2, until my Librem 5 is ready for prime time. I mean its not as modular as say the Fairphone, but its not that far off.

3 Likes

It’d sure be handy if you could clone a SIM. You’d have to remember to turn your old daily driver off before firing up the Librem5 (or vice versa–though the Kill Switch would be a good option I think, for making the L5 disappear before turning on the other phone), but that’s better than having to shut both phones off, move the sim (which involves flipping it over in my case, hard to do without putting grubby paws on the contacts), then reboot the phone.

Flip the phone instead? :slight_smile:

Just for the record: my L14 screen broke, I contacted the support and after some struggles they finally sent the replacement screen which I installed myself without any problems. You don’t even need a soldering iron, everything’s nuts/bolts.

3 Likes

Security v. convenience trade-off. Yes, it would be handy but it would break the security model of a SIM.

So: Yeah-nah.

Maybe it will be possible, hypothetically, when eSIMs are used - but presumably only with the cooperation of your mobile provider, hence coming with significant caveats i.e. handing over more control over your own device to your mobile provider.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s reassuring to know!

The phone must be placed on its face, or the sim chips simply fall out of the carrier.

They are contact-up.

My other phone, the phone has to be placed on its back, otherwise same thing. But then the chips are contact-down.

So I have to flip the sim chip to move it from one phone to the other.

True. It was a suggestion made in jest, as I’m constantly having to move the sim back and forth between phones since my L5 simply will not place calls and I’ve been working the issue with tech support. Every couple of days they have me try something else.

1 Like

That is exactly what I did when the phone was sent to me to Germany. It took Purism perhaps 2 weeks to figure out how to do this – it appears shipping companies are picky even in such a case when spare batteries are shipped along with the phone. Presumably Purism now has the procedure down for future shipments…

3 Likes