What kernel is Pure OS 9

I am trying to install drivers for a Realtek WIFi whose id is obda : b812 and I see I need the kernel number is needed to know which driver I need.

I am on a very limited data amount - hotspot from my IPhone via USB to do this and I can not afford to do the Pure OS updates or the entirety of the Debian non-free WiFi repository either.

Thanks for the info.

According to this I’d say 4.19 but if you can boot it just do uname -r

$ echo 'amber amber-updates amber-security' | xargs -d' ' -Irepository curl -s http://repo.pureos.net/pureos/dists/repository/main/binary-amd64/Packages.xz | xzcat | grep 'Package: linux-image'
Package: linux-image-4.19.0-5-amd64-dbg
Package: linux-image-4.19.0-5-amd64-unsigned
Package: linux-image-4.19.0-5-cloud-amd64-dbg
Package: linux-image-4.19.0-5-cloud-amd64-unsigned
Package: linux-image-4.19.0-5-rt-amd64-dbg
Package: linux-image-4.19.0-5-rt-amd64-unsigned
Package: linux-image-amd64-signed-template
Package: linux-image-amd64
Package: linux-image-amd64-dbg
Package: linux-image-cloud-amd64
Package: linux-image-cloud-amd64-dbg
Package: linux-image-rt-amd64
Package: linux-image-rt-amd64-dbg
Package: linux-image-4.9.0-2-amd64
Package: linux-image-4.9.0-2-rt-amd64
Package: linux-image-4.19.0-5-amd64
Package: linux-image-4.19.0-5-cloud-amd64
Package: linux-image-4.19.0-5-rt-amd64
3 Likes

showing off ? ^^

As of today Debian 11 distributes (apt upgrade) Linux Kernel Version 5.10.4-1 - LTS release:

echo 'bullseye' | xargs -d' ' -Irepository curl -s https://ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de/debian/dists/bullseye/main/binary-amd64/Packages.xz | xzcat | grep 'Package: linux-image'

Package: linux-image-5.10.0-1-amd64

Thanks @ruff for the above command! For it to work I needed to install curl as it was missing on my old ltop Debian 11 distro.

Above is great news, IMHO, and just for those that used Linux Kernel 5.9, it reached EOL on 2020-12-21.

P.S. @Sharon please be aware (in general) of the original post (first one) posted here, as it is related to PureOS (current) kernel.

EDIT: linux-image-5.10.0-1-amd64_5.10.4-1_amd64.deb is now part of repo.pureos.net, of course (great).

1 Like

yes. MESA got a few updates as well recently if i’m not mistaken … the GNOME GUI (store) doesn’t offer a way to see what each upgrade changes …

1 Like

I don’t know much about (wasn’t interested to use it) and therefore have no opinion, but this article mentions few points like: “GNOME Software is not in good shape right now.