When is Crimson coming?

That post was published August 6, and was a summary of what had happened in July. If this is to be a monthly update, the next would be in early September the earliest.

5 Likes

Already discussed five days ago:

5 Likes

@dcz is continuing their work on mobile Linux thanks to the NLnet foundation, more at https://forums.puri.sm/t/lets-crowdfund-some-development-to-get-pureos-crimson-ready-for-l5/22827/316r.

7 Likes

Im losing all hopes in Purism for Crimson Developments. I be honest i still not supporting Crimson develop for monthly suscription. why? im resentful of Purism for opensourcing too much Gnu OS. I still superfans for Purism and Librem 5 however i never used Librem 5 for daily driver, because to me it not ready yet, however for some reason i had plans to start daily driver on Gnu Crimson stage.
The existence of Flatpak is ridiculous and deteriorates the L5 and Pure Gnu mobile ecosystem.

2 Likes

Yes the existence of options is bad, all options should be taken away.

5 Likes

For those who are lurking here also awaiting the upgrade to Crimson, here is my experience with the upgrade to the underlying Debian base (i.e., 12/Bookworm): PureOS Crimson (Debian 12) on Librem 15 / Librem 13 (x86-64) - #10 by JJR

3 Likes

Not sure if you can be a “superfan” of something yet not support it. Actions speak louder than words.

Your comment about using open source: this is what Purism and their security model is all about.

I’m sure you don’t mean to, but to me this sounds a bit like trolling :person_shrugging:

6 Likes

I don’t think calling Free Software you don’t like as Open Source is helpful to Free Software philosophy. In practice almost all Open Source Software is also Free Software. People who follow Open Source or Free Software philosophy calls it by the name they like, but it remains both Open Source and Free Software. Flatpak is also a perfectly fine way of distributing Free Software like a deb package. There are technical pros and cons for both, but from a Free Software philosophy point of view, we can’t say flatpak is bad.

12 Likes

Sure we can, free speech means w can say whatever we want.

It’s a bad idea, it will have consequences that are counter to the desired goals, it destracts others from more productive and useful endeavors thus slowing them from contributing to our objectives or even potentially pushing them away from our shared goal entirely as a way to get away from us… but we can absolutely say things that hurt our stated goals.

5 Likes

I am feeling similar to you @carlosgonz . I am not supporting Crimson development for a different reason. @francois-techene says Purism doesn’t sell software, they make money from selling hardware. But, this seems to fundamentally miss the point with a device like Librem 5. All of their hardware products are not dependent upon using PureOS. However, the L5 isn’t viable without a working and viable OS. And while there are possible options of Mobian or PMOS, etc. They are not easy for the average user to deal with.

I feel like Purism is making fundamental business model mistake. The price of buying the hardware L5 should include some financial support or component for ensuring the OS and software is viable. Otherwise, they are selling me an expensive paperweight?!

I’m just disappointed and frustrated. I am using the L5 as a daily driver, and it is ok. Not great, but it mostly meets my needs. I just get nervous the longer it goes to rely on bullseye, the greater chance of security issues arising.

7 Likes

True.

This things are so bad to me. This both do not have the manpower to development a decent mobile os evenworse a fancy gnu/lnx mobile os, in fact pmos and mobian hinder for a company that showed to have all the manpower to make a decent mobile os like Purism via Purism financial strategy.

Opensourcing-people started complaints for Purism claims that Librem 5 was so expensive, because Erratum-Opensource-Pinephones prices.
Opensource peoples want everything cheaper, which not make sense for a reality cost for a fancy Libre hardware and software device.
Edit0: Opensources programmer spend the few resources in gnu+lnx for fragmentation.

2 Likes

I have been disappointed in a few of Purism’s decisions but I’m trying to be understanding of their circumstances, such as when the COVID lockdowns happened (https://puri.sm/posts/the-ball-and-supply-chain/), they had supply issues and likely lost revenue during that time.

I see the subscriptions as a way for us to save a sinking ship that is still able to be saved, and standing by the wayside and saying that Purism is doomed to fail while not exercising options to attempt to save them is kinda guaranteeing them to fail. At the very least, we can consider contributing to the development ourselves since the source code is available.

Edit:

I’d love to hear the reasons why you and @carlosgonz feel that Flatpak is a project that goes against the goals of free software (in another thread – don’t reply here since it’s off-topic; I leave it to someone else to start a new thread since I don’t have much to say on it for now).

7 Likes

Well, good luck y’all rationalizing why it’s OK for you NOT to support a phone that you say you want to succeed. Maybe you just don’t want to spend your hard-earned? That’s OK, but just say so. From where I stand, I see that Purism sells us a phone, does a lot of hard work and upstreams it, gets a ton of shit over it during and after the pandemic. And they are doing this for a pretty ungrateful bunch. Also, as such a small player with a tight budget, they have no obligation to continue software development at all. If you buy an iPhone or Android, you mostly get 5 years guaranteed updates, plus phones that work superbly well. Don’t forget that you don’t have to use the Librem 5. It might not be for you.

9 Likes

Good points all around. I should clarify, my comments are from the business perspective. Purism is in the business to make money. They are not a Non-Profit Organization. As such they set out with a business model of being a Socially Responsible Company (SRC). I applaud this. I have multiple Purism products. I value and appreciate their philosophy and approach, and as such I want them to succeed.

In this context, I agree with your points @gondolyr about the supply chain issues and the pandemic.

What I’m trying to say, and bring it back to the topic of this thread. When is Crimson coming. I’m looking at this from the business perspective of Purism being successful. They recently brought on Randy Siegel to promote the L5 in the government sector. I just fail to understand how you can promote a product that has good hardware, but unreliable software? I can see Purism promoting their servers and laptops to large organizations. Good products. The L5 is a different situation though.

I feel, unless the topic of this thread is effectively addressed, and by extension, When is Dawn coming? that it makes it hard for L5 to be commercially viable. Purism needs to understand this difference. I am not convinced that they do see the distinction. Hence, my hesitation at adding money to PureOS dev. Because for my other Purism products, I can pick other OS to use. And, I am looking forward to the L16. I might go for that. Unless a good RISC-V alternative becomes available :slight_smile:

For me as an individual, I can leverage the internet to learn how to keep my L5 operating to my needs. Use another OS, etc. Use flatpak’s to fill in gaps, find ways to optimize swap space, leverage SD cards in viable ways, etc.

5 Likes

Social Purpose Corporation:

See also:

Social purpose corporation - Wikipedia (on my Wikiless instance)

2 Likes

I don’t.

I think that people can say whatever they want even when what they say will produce an outcome counter to what their goals are, such as saying “flatpak is bad”. I think carlos is saying something that will have results opposite to their goals, but I think they can absolutely say that and a response of “we cant say flatpak is bad” is imprecise and does not accomplish the desired goal either.

5 Likes

I would agree that “Purism leadership” needs to understand this. I think most of the boots on the ground do understand and are just not in a position of power to do anything about the decisions being made.

4 Likes

Thanks @FranklyFlawless, I was being lazy and hoped I guessed correctly.

@OpojOJirYAlG yes, when I have said Purism, I meant the leadership. In my day job, I deal with a lot of executive leaders, and I’m astounded at how much they lose sight of what they are trying to, or should be working towards. The primary focus of executive leadership always seems to be the near-term and not the long-term.

Back on the topic of this thread, I know we all are anxiously awaiting the release of Crimson. And, I do know it will eventually get released. My anxiety with Purism, is more on what changes is Purism making behind the scenes, so that it can operate more effectively so that we won’t have a thread in the future of ‘When is Dawn Coming?’

I think this speaks to the concerns other’s have raised in other posts, on whether we to put money into Purism fundraising, if we don’t have much visibility or insight into understanding what our donations are being spent on. The accountability piece.

5 Likes

What other {x}paks are out there?

fatpak: full of bloatware?

fratpak: put out by a college greek house?

ratpak: hosted by vocal crooners from the late 1950 early 1960s.

5 Likes

Hilarious.

I hope I’m not too off-topic, but I thought I would chime in to provide some history for the name “flatpak”. Originally (and for the first 6 months or so) the project was called xdg-app (the “xdg” coming from FreeDesktop’s XDG = X Desktop Group set of standards). Kind of uninspiring, right? His friends convinced him to rename it. Alex Larsson, being from Sweden, and IKEA being a general Swedish inspiration and famous for flatpacks (easily shipped ready-to-assemble furniture) … he simply dropped a “c” from flatpack.

I should note that there are also “snaps”. The history there is that originally there was “click” (although it might be “Click” or “Click!”) packaging for Ubuntu’s phone. When Canonical expanded that to the desktop it was renamed “snappy” … and, then somewhere along the way, it got renamed “snap”. It should be noted, for anybody that accuses Canonical of NIH, that “snappy” was released 3 days before the first line of code was checked into the xdg-app (flatpak) repository. It’s so nice that we have repositories that document that. Sadly, I had to remind Alex of that fact on one of his blogs since he, himself, got the sequence wrong.

And to weigh in: I’m not a fan of flatpaks or snaps. They definitely have uses and provide a reasonable option (especially for immutable and/or LTS distros), but my feeling is that they should only be a BAND-AID™.

4 Likes