When is Crimson coming?

This meta-issue about Crimson was added yesterday:

9 Likes

I wish to add crimson on my wishlist for christmas.

10 Likes

It would be one :musical_note: “of my fa-vor-ite things.” :musical_note:

5 Likes

I flashed Crimson (landing repo) on my 2nd L5. I get an impression like “Nothing to see here folks, please move on”, although I know that isn’t fair to the developers putting time and effort into this. What I am trying to say is that I feel it still has some way to go before it is as usable as Byzantium. There are dependencies missing that prevents the installation of some apps, e.g. Millipixels. When it comes to speed and smoothness, I haven’t noticed much difference with my, so far, limited testing. I am starting it once in while to see if there are any upgrades, but waiting for it to mature before I will start using it more. I also need to change the BT/WiFi card in it, which I have done in my daily driver L5.

6 Likes

Your impression checks out.

2 Likes

Seems like it need more time, its all right. Take the Time you need, but i am looking forward for this update.

1 Like

I think it would be clever and funny when it arrives, the forum pages had a crimson border. Even anyone that missed the announcment, would get the idea.

5 Likes

Not with color blindness.

2 Likes

Almost 40 years ago, we used Commodore C=64 8-bit computers for telemetry displays in the mission control rooms at Edwards AFB. One byte in video RAM determined the border color on the monitor. We used green to indicate good telemetry lock… and crimson to indicate unlock.

2 Likes

Used a “PEEK” and a “POKE” didja?

4 Likes

We are old…lol.

3 Likes

Come on Purism… too much time already for GnuCrimson for GnuL5 phone.

5 Likes

I echo what @carlosgonz is saying.

3 Likes

FYI: Byzantium is running Phosh .32 and Phosh .36 was just released.

3 Likes

Am I right in thinking installing Crimson will require flashing it to the phone?

2 Likes

If you try to upgrade to crimson by just changing the apt sources you run the risk of ending up in the same position I did of it now boot loops and does not successfully prompt for the luks password. (Rollback to previous kernel solves this problem)

Also I’ve only seen a couple of updates in the last month, so not sure how active that crimson development actually is, I dont think its worth it right now and the modem still takes a while to load intermittently.

2 Likes

Not much.

Also, librem5-flash-image is partially broken due to Jenkins API issues, so you cannot flash Byzantium or Crimson from there even if using --skip-download and must use the --stable flag instead for Byzantium.

1 Like

Seems like development has slowed significantly. Makes one wonder what’s going on.

4 Likes

it’s normal, just like old debian releases

2 Likes

Right now?

That’s probably the safest. However as crimson hasn’t been released yet, it is not known whether it will offer a proper upgrade option from byzantium. For the early adopters and thrillseekers, yes, reflash.

1 Like