When wifi disconnected, no networks are found anymore

Hi everyone!

I encountered some problems with my wifi connection.
Sometimes, my network (home or outside) disconnects. When I tried to reconnect, the wifi symbol is not on the screen anymore and my librem 13 do not find the wifi that were there before, as if there were no network around at all. So, I switch off and on my wifi on my computer, in the hope to get it back, but it does not work. The only solution I have find so far is to reboot my computer.

Can you help me please?
Thanks a lot!!

1 Like

Hi @NeoJ,

Have you tried to restard the NetworkManager Daemon ?

Open a terminal, called Tilix in PureOS.
You can notice there already is text, that ends with a $. This means you are logged in as a regular user.

You need to get root privilege by typing su
It will prompt you for your password. When you type it, nothing will be displayed. Press enter to confirm.

The line in the terminal should now end with a # sign.
To restart NetowrkManager, type the following line in your terminal with root privilege:

/etc/init.d/network-manager restart

Does it fix the issue without needing a reboot? What does it output?

Hi @thib!
I tried what you suggested and when I pressed center to confirm I had the following message: su: Échec d’authentification

Well, bonjour :slight_smile:

The password you must type in the the root password, sometimes also called the administrator password as well.
This is a password you entered at the first boot of your Librem :wink:

bonjour @thib ! XD

I tried my root password but I have the same message :frowning:
I tried this command:
sudo /etc/init.d/network-manager restart

And I experienced the same problem: wifi disconnected and no more networks available

Sometimes, my network (home or outside) disconnects. When I tried to reconnect, the wifi symbol is not on the screen anymore and my librem 13 do not find the wifi that were there before, as if there were no network around at all. So, I switch off and on my wifi on my computer, in the hope to get it back, but it does not work. The only solution I have find so far is to reboot my computer.

I’m experiencing this same issue, on Librem 13v3.

To restart the network try typing

“sudo systemctl restart network-manager.service”

at the command line (without the quotes).

I’ve just tried the same command and can confirm that it did not fix the issue for me either.

Next time it occurs I’ll try the command suggested by @jamie here When wifi disconnected, no networks are found anymore .

Thanks for your help yall :slight_smile:

I can confirm that this does not fix this issue.

For me, restarting is still the only fix as yet.

Thanks for the suggestions though! :slight_smile:

If there’s any more information I can provide to assist debugging please do let me know.

This sounds like a possible hardware issue. Could you open the back cover of your laptop and check the wifi card is properly seated? Re-seat it and re-connect the antennae connectors.

Thanks @mladen I’ll give that a go and let you know.

For those following along, I’ve found the instructions for removing the wifi-card here https://wiki.puri.sm/hw/L13/v3#wi-fi-card-removal :slight_smile: :

@mladen I opened it up and nothing appeared to be loose. I did as you recommended and disconnected and reconnected both the wifi card and the antenna cables following the schematics I linked to above. The antenna cables were a bit tricky to reconnect :slight_smile: Wifi is working after the operation, so at least I managed not to break it :sweat_smile:.

I’ll report back about whether the issue persists or not after a while.

For those following along, this was quite an easy step, though it might seem a bit intimidating if you’ve never opened a laptop before (I’ve only done it a few times to change hard-disks on my old macbook pro). Make sure you have the correct basic screwdriver as to not damage the screws. (So nice to have a laptop now with all standard screws :heart:)

Thanks as always.

Since I disconnect and reconnect my wifi card, I have not had the disconnection then no networks found issue :sunny: Thanks for your help @mladen and I hope this resolves things for you too @NeoJ .

Earlier today I was having an issue with extremely poor wifi signal. I wondered whether it was to do with this bit:

The antenna cables were a bit tricky to reconnect

I reopened the case, and found that the wifi antenna cables were stuck to the plastic strip that covers them and where in-fact floating off their connectors. No wonder the signal was bad! I hadn’t got them back in properly. I tried again and still couldn’t get them to really stick like I remembered—they were actually a bit hard to remove from their plugs in the first place).

Luckily my partner was home and I asked her to have a go, she’s much better with this kinda thing. And with a bit more force and precision she got the antenna cables back securely in their plugs :champagne:.

Since then, the wifi performance seems is significantly better than ever. I’m using the tool wavemon to monitor the connection on the command line, it’s really nice.

If anyone is having this issue or signal strength issues, I recommend following @mladen’s suggestion, just be sure to get everything back in securely.

Thanks again for the help everyone. Happy New Year.

1 Like

I’ve had a Librem 15 V3 for a few months now and had the same problem with the Wi-Fi. It was an intermittent problem and seems to have corrected itself. However, I may pull the cover off and check the Wi-Fi card as instructed.
For now, I have just cut off the WI-FI with the hardware switch, then shut off the WI-FI on my phone and then shut down the laptop. It works again when I re-boot. I’ll check the WI-FI without rebooting and see what happens.

Thanks for keeping us updated @equivalentideas. It’s always helpful to hear how someone’s problem was fixed.

1 Like

My pleasure.

I haven’t had a single issue with it since I reconnected the card and cables, so definitely give it a go if you’re having this issue.

1 Like