When will Byzantium launch?

The point is that the desktop computer, running Ubuntu, has a decent set of speakers, rather better than the typical built-in speakers of any phone. So when the phone is in the vicinity of my desktop, I don’t mind directing audio playback from the phone to the desktop.

That won’t help with Bluetooth, but FWIW for such use case it may be worth looking into PulseAudio networking, which will give you higher quality audio and can work over any network transport :slight_smile: You can even make phone calls via a desktop this way.

2 Likes

But can I use Librem 5 as a microphone for Jitsi calls?

Sure. You can make the whole sound card available remotely on another machine running PulseAudio, and since both your GNU/Linux desktop and your Librem 5 phone run PulseAudio it can work both ways :wink:

4 Likes

Even if it’s there, I wouldn’t recommend to use it with Byzantium if you are looking for better bluetooth support.
In my experience, the bluetooth support in Pipewire got good about a year ago, but the version in Byzantium is older than that so you’ll probably be better off with pulseaudio.

1 Like

So, any update regarding Byzantium release date? Are we talking days, weeks or months away? What are the release criteria?

7 Likes

When it comes to new phone shipments and flasher scripts for Librem 5 using Byzantium by default, it should be a matter of days now. Providing an upgrade path from amber-phone other than reflash will take longer though (and you’ll likely have to reflash anyway to get full disk encryption).

12 Likes

will the full disk encryption key be unique with each flash ?

Ok, thanks. Will Byzantium support configuring the smart card out of the box? So if I currently have a smart card inserted and configured in my Librem 5 running amber, will installing Byzantium configure it automatically or is that still a manual step?

It will be of yours, I think (key that is based on passwd provided). Let me (just) provide some food for thought (not official answer): out there, within Linux Phone(s) World :shushing_face:, there is solution called /pinephone/installer/ image (that includes, for end-user, option to enable encryption) so I’m expecting that very similar (or almost identical to the Mobian or pmOS ones) installer type PureOS one will be available/applicable for Librem 5 as well (actually just expanding your question here), that might have another packaged “form” but that up front install or encryption setup option will be included (of course, IMHO).

And you are cherry picking. I don’t have bluetooth keyboard. I only tested 3 devices that were available to me and it worked with Laptop and only one way. I was able to receive a file sent by the laptop. But the L5 could not send anything back. It cannot pair with the other two bluetooth speakers that I have so it’s very much broken for me.

2 Likes

Is this the official launch? If not then I will wait.

As he says

It is fully official as long as you install from scratch instead of upgrading.

4 Likes

Does it flash with encryption and does it flash with a unique key?

Is there anything special with the smartcard reader in Byzantium?
I tested https://source.puri.sm/angus.ainslie/ttxs-firmware

And imported my public key.
But running gpg --card-status returns:
gpg: selecting card failed: No such device
gpg: OpenPGP card not available: No such device

I know that the phones flashed at factory are getting unique keys, but I don’t know whether that’s integrated with the flashing scripts yet (haven’t worked on that part personally). If not, you can always reencrypt it afterwards - I heard it only takes a few minutes.

1 Like

Were you previously running Amber and was it previously working with Amber?

I tested Byzantium for quite sometime, so I am not sure if it would work in Amber.
If it also should work under Byzantium with this scripts (or I get no feedback) I would flash back to Amber to test it.

Did you run the smartcard_setup.sh script?

I’m definitely not totally across this stuff myself but that script appears to create, among other things, /etc/reader.conf.d/libccidtwin which on my phone contains among other things

DEVICENAME /dev/ttymxc2:SEC1210

and the named device exists. That script also creates a service, pcscd.service, which appears to require a fairly specific command to run (that starts the STM32 microcontroller).

What about on your phone?

Adding: The above is on Amber. Maybe it’s the same. Maybe it’s different.