Why 3 post limit?

I am gone for a while and 10 people reply and I’m trying to reply back but am limited to only 3 replies on a single topic. What sense does this make? What are we trying to solve with that limit?

The other day I had to wait 18 hours before I could post at all again. Is this to discourage new people from participating? I don’t see how it solves spam problems or anything else for that matter.

Thanks,

G

1 Like

This forum is using Discourse as the software.

That question was asked on their forum, so you can at least see the developers’ thoughts:
https://discuss.python.org/t/can-we-increase-the-3-consecutive-post-limit/1896/3

Edit: Thought the link was to the actual Discourse forums, but it wasn’t. Not sure about the 3 post limit then

1 Like

Well, it can limit some vandalism, so I guess it makes some sense.
Anyway, I prefer to answer several in one post.

Just start a new paragraph and tag @cybercrypt13 somebody.

1 Like

In my experience, limits like this are to decrease spam. From what I’ve seen the limits ease up the longer you’re active on the forum. I don’t know if that includes the 3 reply limit but other limits do ease.

Generally, multiple quotes to reply to multiple people in a single post is a solid way to respond on forums, though I know that isn’t always ideal.

Watching the thread of which you speak, I can see where this limit is quite frustrating, but I can also see where it could be valuable as it forces the conversation to slow down which can be beneficial.

I know this isn’t a direct answer, just wanted to let you know some other experience on the forum.

1 Like

The one thing that doesn’t do is take advantage of this function where I click to reply to a specific person. I agree with your work around, but I do see the flaw in having a way to reply to a specific post then limiting the number of posts you can reply to.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies, still see no benefit other than to frustrate but will start responding to multiples in one. Just seems more confusing in the end. Sorta like people forcing passwords so complicated that you have to write them down to remember. At some point things just don’t make sense. :slight_smile:

G

2 Likes

That’s still pretty secure against a remote attack. No hacker in Iran can easily use a strong password that is written down on a piece of paper near the computer in question.

1 Like

That depends on your threat model, setup, and other assumptions. I mean if the system doesn’t have internet access but has PII stored on it, it’s secured against remote attackers and now has weaker security against a local attack. Also NIST and others are all advising against long hard to remember passwords for the exact reason that it actually decreases security as compared to passphrases and other methods (mfa) so I think the spirit of what cybercrypt13 was saying is quite valid even if there are exceptions such as your described scenario.

2 Likes

the Purism forums imo are some of the best i’ve been too in regards to how easy and uncluttered everything is. the search functions and the timeline make everything “to-the-point”. they do seem to want to “encourage” REGISTERED users to fall-in a certain bottom-up mentality and taking things slow-n-progressive towards higher functions that come with a higher number of posts/likes and reaching different “milestones/achievements” to promote a kind of individual branding/respect in the community.

i don’t think their method is bad it’s just frustrating at the beginning.

This is true. At the beginning and the end sometimes.

That would be news to a lot of people.

I’ve also run into the mentality that it’s necessary to change the long-ass password every two months (and you need to be nagged daily for two weeks before the deadline) which simply encourages people to put a number at the end and increment it.

I don’t disagree that it is unfortunate the number of businesses that don’t keep up with the latest recommendations.

The majority of people, in my opinion, should not need to know about the latest guidelines; but it should be marketed better to the people that are casually interested as those people are the ones that I think are most overlooked.

That’s merely my opinion based on my experience.