Why and how to extend ZRAM on L5. A revolution for Librem 5 stability!

I have not tried the procedure from the original post. Instead, I added the following configuration file and rebooted. I would suggest it instead. The documentation is available in man zram-generator.conf.

$ cat /etc/systemd/zram-generator.conf.d/librem5.conf
[zram0]
zram-fraction = 2
max-zram-size = none

That configuration file overrides the configuration file with the same name, which is provided by Purism.

$ cat /usr/lib/systemd/zram-generator.conf.d/librem5.conf
[zram0]

So, this combines the following advice.

5 Likes

[zram0]

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face::pray:

1 Like

Ok did it! Then I rebooted! I’m opening everything now to fill my ram. Here a pic.

1 Like

Please I’m trying to do that. What means it?
I’ve to create a second file and save it, like this one, in my microsd?
Thank you

1 Like

I do not know. However, the following bit of the log seems to indicate that /dev/zram0 is busy by some other process when zram-generator tries to configure it.

I do not know how to investigate it. But I found the following suggestion:

As far as I know Debian has two packages that makes configuring swap on a zram device fairly easy.
They are “zram-tools” and “systemd-zram-generator”.
You should probably check that you have only one installed.

I only have systemd-zram-generator installed of the two.

2 Likes

Only do this (don’t follow any other procedure, i cannot help you), or Why and how to extend ZRAM on L5. A revolution for Librem 5 stability! - #34 by riabenko (may be a better procedure):
I did on my 3 librem 5:
1.Reboot
2.Close immediately any running app because of autostart (or better: remove them from the folder temporarily).
3. And immediately in terminal copy past this in terminal:

sudo tee /usr/lib/systemd/zram-generator.conf.d/librem5.conf <<EOF
[zram0]
zram-fraction = 2
max-zram-size = none
EOF
sudo systemctl restart systemd-zram-setup@zram0
1 Like

That means any path of a script like /home/purism/myscrip.sh, that contains the commands you want to run at boot. has to be replaced by the text you want at this place.
For our purpose, the script /home/purism/myscrip.sh should contain:

#!/bin/sh
sudo swapoff /dev/zram0
sudo zramctl --reset /dev/zram0
sudo zramctl --find --size 5G
#/dev/zram0
sudo mkswap /dev/zram0
sudo swapon /dev/zram0
2 Likes

:sweat_smile: what’s wrong, please?:pray:

1 Like

After reboot

1 Like

I would have liked to see the full text. Go to the menu (top right) and click on “zoom -”
Have you done chmod +x ~/Documents/2.sh to make the script executable, otherwise, you need to have ExecStart=/usr/bin/bash /home/purism/Documents/2.sh in the service file. (restart the service after modification).
PS: I have edited my original post to do the changes through one or two scripts. I hope it is clearer for all now after the replies.

2 Likes

Thank you, Lionel :pray:

PS: yes! I chmod +x it

1 Like

That screenshot is rotated for me. Difficult to read!

1 Like

Corrected image:

1 Like

2.sh needs to start with a line #! /shell where /shell means a path to a valid shell e.g. /bin/bash Does it?

2 Likes

Well seen!. It is also why i converted my instructions in my original post, to avoid typing mistakes.

3 Likes

@irvinewade @Lionel Really thank you so much for your lasts posts!! It’s working perfectly now!! Just last question to understand: why I see Lionel’s zram swap13.3GB in the first post? I just have 5.3 that’s ok for me! But how to reach that number? I also tried setting zram-fraction=4 but it remained 5.3! Maybe it dinamically increase to 13.3 when zram reach 5.3?
Anyway zram-fraction is set on 2, now, as suggested! And L5 temperatures are ok now!
Thank you
:pray::grinning:

1 Like

Great !
13.3 GB with fraction = 4.5 (It is all explained in my original post). It was just a test for me to see if it did a problem (freeze or crash) with all apss opened.
I estimate it not useful to have zram above 5.5 GB, but make it if you think you need it.
Do you really see a difference with temperature?? I was not sure about my feeling and as i remember, i did some of the tests on the floor which was then cooling the phone.

2 Likes

Yes! I opened all apps installed, including Waydroid and all temperatures were below 50 degrees (around 47/48). Before zram, as explained in another thread, my L5 reached 60 degrees!!! It was so hot that I had problem to keep it in my hand!

3 Likes

Great to confirm my experience! Thank you for your perseverance in trying this trick.

3 Likes

I saw mention of PR for this. Anyone have an idea when it might get into “production”?

Trying to decide if I should try it now or just wait (uncertain whether it would conflict with doing it manually ahead of time in some way).

1 Like