Why I will be cancelling my Librem 5 preorder (different reasons from other users)

Hello Bum112,

for me it is not so easy. I want to get away from AOSP. Its a good Phone, but i do not trust googles Code.

Its like the new Companies try to get every meta or private information from phones or the running codes Data. You can observe it in the Code changes, and the configuration settings in up2date software like Browsers, AOSP and even gnome Desktop (Search).

Its so easy for them to insert new features like a safebrowser check and using an url bar for every tipping char to search in real time.

Or use DNS with a feature like DNSoTLS as default with some google near companies. To observe visit web pages.

I can not trust such devices! With Linux i can, if i like, brake it down to a small set and code a gui by myself or with friends or a community.

I did not use google search for month, yes indirect with duckduckgo just 4 times a week maybe. We need an alternative and that is what we build here.

Oh if you want privacy, use an android phone through camera with a remote mechanical finger for tipping! Yes its a joke but i bet someone will build this. Like some Asian Click Farms.

Its Linux freedom to do, whatever you want with that kind of hardware. Ok binary Modemdriver excluded for Security (fair play without drugs in sport events!).

2 Likes

Also, by the time my Librem 5 ships it seems likely that the Pixel 5 will be available for $349 …

You forget that Pixel 5 will be bought by so many more customers which lowers price a lot (sharing development costs, lower production costs by real mass production, Covid-19 effects more against little companies etc) and the development costs so much less since there is no feature like hardware killswitches. Both devices play in totally different categories. Big company vs small company, all in one SoC vs secure SoC, … . You cannot really compare them just by hardware speccs and price. All in one that is what “breaking through grounds” cost.

If this is all uninteresting for you, just take Pixel 5 for 349$ - that’s okay. But please don’t mimimi because L5 costs what it has to cost. I bet, it will cost less in further version. Maybe they will reach 499$ on version 2 or 3, like planed in 2017 (less develop costs and better market situation) with a more polished device.

2 Likes

We all know he won’t notice the difference. None of us would. I think this is a bit like buying a faster car. You can’t drive it any faster because of the speed limits but it feels good psychologically to know there is a bit more under the hood.

I remember as a kid before I was in IT I would dream about all the things that I could do if I got or got access to all the fancy hardware. Then I got access to every permutation of every device and don’t use any of it to their full potential. I had an iOS device, hated it. I held off getting an android device, got a dual screen Axon-M thinking maybe that while I cannot get a nice physical keyboard based device at least it has two screens and I will be able to do a bit of coding on it, watch movies and all that and I just use it for calls, email and text because Android is utter garbage and almost all the software available for it is even worse. And now the battery is almost dead, it cannot be replaced because it is such a niche device no parts are available and I get max of about an hour of play time if I play a platformer on it or similar.

This reminds me of another benefit of the L5 over the Android environment: I CAN RUN ANY LANGUAGE / SOFTWARE THAT I WANT ON THE PHONE THAT SUPPORTS ARM. For me, having access to the Debian repos is something I cannot work without great difficulty.

These days I have been getting into things like TIC80, Common Lisp and all kinds of things like that. It will be nice to be able to carry some of that code around with me on the L5 so when I am bored on a plane or wherever, I now have a choice about maybe playing a game or fiddling with a bit more code.

People talk about convergence as if convergence was merely using your phone as a desktop. I think the core feature of convergence is the dissolving of artificial barriers between my desktop, laptop, phone and cloud environments. My desktop is fully virtualized with hardware passthrough as is my local file system so that is already a floating locally and in the cloud as necessary. Having the L5 and being able to run a bunch of my toolkit on it will be nice. It will also be nice to have the L5 act as a client for my main desktop vm without having the Android ecosystem impose it self on my workflow because I can just use my native tools as I always have.

The more that I think about this the more I can see all the cool things that I am interested in.

The other thing that I am looking forward to is having access to the entire file system. The android file system is a bloody mess. Yes, yes, SELinux and all that, but it’s my device. I want my local file manager to get escelated credentials from me and I want to do what I want to do with my device. My device does NOT belong to Google, it belongs to me.

I honestly cannot wait to ditch Android forever.

But, those of you posting options, I think that is awesome and very helpful to everyone. Before you can know what you want you kind of have to keep on searching and taste testing until you find something that fits your needs.

For anyone buying an AOSP / Android whatever, it would be really appreciated if you could drop back in and tell us what you bought and compare it to an L5 if you have one / get one. Maybe drop by and tell us about your Android experience and tell us how you use it and why you chose what you chose. It would be neat to see or read about how you guys use your devices.

6 Likes

That is in fact exactly why the Librem 5 is such an attractive phone. I don’t have to wait for someone to find an exploit in the manufacturer’s OS to get root access, then hope that a minimal team of volunteers has the goodwill to keep supporting my device, all the while hoping the chipset OEM doesn’t stop updating its closed-source firmware, which will eventually happen. I’m not having to fight the manufacturer at any point to get what I want out of the phone. And any Linux program that can compile for aarch64 will run on it, unlike Android.

Did you preorder like yesterday? Most of us didn’t pay anywhere near $900 for our orders.

2 Likes

You made a whole bunch of great points. I am 100% off of the Google, Microsoft, Facebook, etc. My Android is the last part of the puzzle that has to go.

I agree about the DDG thing, I too have been thinking about what it would mean to have a truly democratic and open search engine … even one that can pay for it self and feed the engineers.

2 Likes

Okay, I did not think about this feature either. What a great point. There is an entire community still maintaining the N900 and apparently people even still release software for it. Heck, people still release games for the Commodore Vic 20 and C64!

The enthusiasts will keep the Pinephones and L5s running for a long time. If Purism can keep parts available, I would be happy to keep on buying batteries and modems as is possible.

I’m looking forward to that as well.

1 Like

Thanks for the link, I had not seen that before.

At this stage it looks like Purism will never deliver my Librem 5 so the kill switches are a feature I will never be able to use.

In that case, what difference does it make, to paraphrase Hillary Clinton?

The difference is already made. Look at Pinephone for example - they can use what Purism already did to improve there projects. I don’t think only about my phone, my device I will earn. I also think about the whole movement that push us a bit in the better direction - in a more freedom future. But:

At this stage it looks more like all (included Purism) are waiting for CPU delivery. At this moment the ball is not in Purisms hand, so they can’t do anything but wait. And there is a known time when waiting time should end. I may agree with you after we reached that point and nothing happens. But I really don’t think so yet.

And just that you can understand me: I never said Purism is perfect and without any kind of failures. It’s just about the points we’re speaking about.

4 Likes

I have a feeling that the momentum finally died out. Very few things on maemo.org are about the N900 any more. Which is a shame, cause stuff like ssh needs updating.

1 Like

https://yacy.net

1 Like

I’m currently using crDroid on my nexus 6, had it running on my nexus5 as well and works fairly well, but like you I’m looking forward to ditching android and having that seamless transition from one platform to the other.

1 Like

Whilst I’m still salty that I didn’t get my phone “in a few months” (and so never thought I’d be in a position of defending Purism.) I don’t think that the criticisms you provide make sense as “general” criticisms, - they are specific, about your usage, but they aren’t problems with the phone. It’s like me saying a Land Rover is terrible because I don’t go off road driving and a Porsche is faster anyway, (and looks better.)

That’s quite a long way of saying your factual appraisal is not fact, it’s opinion. (and sometimes not even that.)

Unless you have some inside knowledge this isn’t even an opinion, this is at best a guess around your idea of the size and capabilities of the team, and where in their product development they are.

So allow me to rephrase, “I want a refund because I guess they probably can’t develop what I want.”

again, this isn’t fact, this is just an opinion.
so what you’re really saying is “I want a refund because I don’t like the default layout of a thing I could change.”

To be fair it was a while ago that they settled on the specs they probably weren’t quite so terrible then!. - whilst others are pointing out the “you won’t use it anyway” aspects, I agree that in 2021 this seems inadequate. - that is to say in my opinion, and for my use case I think (without real evidence) I may need more resources.

now you think you want to cancel your order for a Linux smartphone, (sold almost expressly on the idea that it runs Linux) because it runs Linux. and you wish you’d bought an android device?

Why bother trying to present this as factual?, you changed your mind/things moved on since you hit buy… that’s OK, but why do you pretend that’s a company/device problem instead of an “I regret my purchase” problem?

Your long explanation just reiterates you don’t like a desktop manager that you could change.

You don’t want/need a device that can double as a small computer and frame it as nobody wants to dock their phone. - why I really disagree with this is. my work will sometimes take me to datacenters, with this device I don’t need to take a laptop, I can simply take my phone and a console cable (USB) because that’s all I need when doing initial setup.
or simply, no, of course a phone won’t replace my laptop, it also won’t replace my tablet, BUT, it does have a specific and unique ability that will improve my ability to work in some odd occasions.

Then we get to this gem…

“some reason” is the nature of the closed binaries, - this is endemic in your writing, you are moaning about a solution to a problem you don’t understand not being tailored to your exacting needs.

[quote=“Bum112, post:1, topic:14127, full:true”]
I saw users talking and using some old ass ancient Nokia device with qwert keyboard and saying that it is good and usable, because it runs full GNU/Linux. [/quote]
So you don’t want an L5 because of the Nokia communicator?

So are you talking about purism, or is it some other random company with no connection that makes you not want the L5? and if you are talking about purism, when did they become big? - only a few lines ago they were too small to deliver.

And yet here you are without a hint of irony about you having backed a prototype Linux phone…

And yet you still can’t figure out how to change the desktop manager or distro if you dislike phosh?

We get it, you made a bad choice and regret it.

But none of the things you said actually reflect badly on the phone. - but phrasing it the way you have actually reflects badly on you. you start by asking people to take of their pink glasses, but all you did was write out an essay that shows you have your head stuck in a place that would be uncomfortable to wear glasses.

14 Likes

I like yacy, but it runs java and need much space and kindly observer your surfing. Its perfect for a proxy Server which try to indicate every link a router ask for.

After a while i think community lists are more perfect like a phone book. Or a library with an open sorted register.

I love complete Lists… and peoples who just test different links and media by taste. Instead of personalized Data by Algorithm.

• PINE64 didn’t want to promote the interface of its chief competitor,
  • It allows the PinePhone to distinguish itself from the L5 in the market.

This is at the core of the problem. There are various companies trying to develop alternatives that don’t lock you in to the stable the big5 have created to milk the world.

But instead of combining their efforts in a truly free-software-manner and striving to create a working platform collectively as fast and as efficient as possible, most of them have fallen for the “intellectual property” and “USP” traps that do work well for the very mega-coporations they initially tried to be an alternative to - but far less so in this tight, struggling niche.
Ultimately, if all those companies created really free and working solutions in a cooperative manner instead of redundantly re-doing the same stuff and re-solving similar problems over and over just to make a difference to the “competition”, all of them would profit from increased sales in the long term.

Just imagine what could be done if, for example, Purism would combine their software expertise with frame.work, who just proved they are able to create just about the kind of powerful, tinkerable hardware for a decent price that many users, including the OP, would like to have on their hands!

4 Likes

Good luck getting a refund. I am working a path the take them to court for breach of contract due to their change in the refund policy after the sale. To start with their corporate address does not match the USPS database. It is making it harder to serve them with papers. I think I have that worked out now. Looking for a Attorney in CA to file a class action. So far they refuse to give a refund. Like I said good luck on a refund as they may never produce a phone and if they don’t you will not get an opportunity for a refund. Current policy is when (and if) your order is ready to ship then and only then they will give you options. What ever that really means. “Options” is so vague it could mean anything they decide. I would call their actions " a scam" but that is just an opinion.

1 Like

Just out of curiosity: why are you posting about what you think others should think, how they should behave and how they should spend their time?

Have you spoken to any of them to find out why they want to think what they think and do what they do?

Have you tried to convince them that thinking what you want them to think and working on what you want them to work on is a good waste of their life?

Perhaps you might want to consider paying them to think what you want them to think and to work on what you want them to work on?

I will be brief. I support all opensource. May be opensource needs is more views in their own ways but meanwhile all in the same direction. May be one day we can have an social responsable federation driven by opensource to compete with the control hungry corporation that threaten to take over. Opensource need to stand on a strong distributed foundation as close to nature how nature organizes it self to give the big gaint a strong fight.

Take a look at this article as an introduction to holocracy and sociocracy

https://sylius.com/blog/holacracy-our-future-is-teal/

I hope to see Purism,framwork,pine64, fairphone,bitcoin, and all openstandard work together as on open distributed consensus federated organisation

Maybe that is right direction a true social responible organisation

I read everything on that link. That is utter and total garbage.

It does not describes the world as is, it has no past explanatory power and it has no future predictive power.

All of that is basically what I categorize as a deepity. It sounds deep and profound on the surface but when you dig a little deeper you quickly find out people that write nonsense like that have no understanding of the raw mechanics of the world.

None of what is written on that page feeds families and pays the bills. You know what does? Money. You want to understand money? Simple. The least friction between each transaction individuals make the more you distribute the transactional computation down to the individual level. The more distributed the transactional processing is the more freedom you have (no one can tell you what to think, say or do). The more friction that you apply to each transaction individuals make the more centralization of the transactional computation that you get. The more centralized transactional computation the less freedom you have (others tellyou what to think say or do)

You want to democratize, streamline and increase engagement in an organization?

Let people trade with each with as least friction as possible.

Everything else is bullshit.

2 Likes