Why I will be cancelling my Librem 5 preorder (different reasons from other users)

That was exactly what iam intent to say less friction is more concesus and more capital inflow for opensource. Open concensus not closed or obligated concensus. In any moment i was talking about centralization. I am supporting decentralized org every time

If I misunderstood my apologies.

Your wellcome.

This is my first encounter explaination of distributed inteligence of nature and from then Iam a true believer in distrubeted system. Great artikel

https://medium.com/@BrandonQuittem/bitcoin-is-a-decentralized-organism-mycelium-part-1-3-6ec58cdcfaa6

Perhaps you might want to consider paying them to think what you want them to think and to work on what you want them to work on?

Yeah, that one seems to work out just fine for the people here, doesn’t it? :smiley:

1 Like

That isn’t making the point you think it’s making.

I was excited when I first heard about the Librem 5.

Since I have done a lot of work on the 802.11ax dissector in Wireshark I had visions of getting my Librem 5 and installing an 802.11ax card it it and doing packet captures, as well as writing code for my Librem 5.

However, over the last two years I have slowly become disappointed with Purism and the way they have handled this. I can already buy a XiaoMi phone with 8GB of ram, 256GB of SSD and a WiFi 6 adapter for around $750 and by the time Purism ships my unit, if they ever do, it will be an obsolete also ran.

Sad. I feel used.

1 Like

I can already buy a XiaoMi phone with 8GB of ram, 256GB of SSD and a WiFi 6 adapter

And will you be able to install GNU/Linux on that phone with an upstream kernel?

4 Likes

Why don’t you start a thread and offer your spot to someone that wants one?

One guy just managed to get some interest within the less than a day of posting.

Do what you need to do to be happy.

2 Likes

I bet I will be able to before Purism ships my Librem 5!

In any event:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-5.12-ARM-DT-Pulls

Are you a shill for Purism. Are you a Purism employee?

The money is gone. I would rather get a laugh from how pathetic the Librem 5 is compared to whatever is shipping in 2022!

Aaaaaand there it is. On public display.

Enjoy your reputation.

2 Likes

When you make accusations, support them with some facts. Otherwise, you’ll get excised from the thread. Thanks.

4 Likes

I’m a johnny-come-lately to Purism, but now I’m days away from receiving my maxed out Librem 14 w/ anti-interdiction, QuebesOS et. al. laptop (hopefully shipping email coming on Monday!) and will eventually be buying a maxed out Librem 5 USA, but in the meantime, I picked up a De-Googled Pixel 4a running LineageOS 18.1 for $800 + $11 shipping from the Rob Braxman Store which I’m VERY HAPPY with while the Librem 5 USA issues are resolved. I looked at the PinePhone and all the other alternatives but at this time, a De-Googled Pixel 4a running LineageOS is the best choice while balancing privacy, full features, stability, and open source. YMMV :wink:

See the following Rob Braxman Tech videos for more details:

What it’s like to use a De-Googled phone in real life? (Q&A of concerns)
Android without Google? How is that Possible?
Is loading the Android Custom ROM - LineageOS Safe for Privacy?
Use Google Voice for Privacy?
Linux Phone vs. De-Googled Android AOSP - Which is better for Privacy?

FWIW, Braxman himself has been waiting for his Librem 5 for 2 years. :wink:

1 Like

I got 2 new deGoogled Pixel 4a’s , 1 with Lineage 18.1 the other with Graphene from eBay. Just received a new Pixel 5 with Graphene from PrivacyToGo . I really like Lineage it’s so easy to use . Graphene is a little more difficult for me but more secure they say. I really like them.
You chose well

2 Likes

Although beyond the topic here, for what its worth, I bought a Sony X-Peria X10 loaded with Sailfish in an attempt to be rid of Google. The thing is a total dud. Dual sim capability initially worked then inexplicably stopped and could not be resurrected no matter what, even reset. And the phone now freezes and carries on with most apps. Reinstallation has not helped. There is no official support for Sailfish with forums being the only hope but with no answers to these issues.
Just a quick aside if you’ve thinking about this configuration.

3 Likes

You might check to see if /e/ foundation has a build for it, either official or unofficial. It’s still Android, but thoroughly degoogled.

Thanks, but nothing for this one. I’ll reflash with Android and give it away probably.

I regularly see LineageOS users who are surprised that their phone is making connections to Google servers. “But. But. it is a de-googled phone” is what I read in those forum posts. No, it is not. Just because it is based on AOSP, and does not have the Play Store installed does not mean it is not using and sending to Google services by default.
If one wants feature parity with Android phones, there is no way around Android, agreed. However, a Debian-based phone gives me a different feature set, and control. And choice to use a different DE if I want to. So in the end it boils down to individual preferences and tradeoffs.

7 Likes

Fortunately /e/OS does a much better job at degoogling than LineageOS, even if it is forked from LineageOS.

(Edited for clarity)

Let us know how this goes.

Purism changing their refund policy after the fact tells me everything that I need to know about them.

Purism is a dishonest company comprised of dishonest people, and their leadership should be held accountable.

1 Like