Why is Pure OS a Rolling-Relase Distribution?

I’m wondering why Pure OS isn’t based off the stable version of Debian, and instead the testing version. Having the latest version of packages is nice, but when new versions of programs cause problems, I haven’t been able to find an easy way to revert to a previous version (as in the case of the bug with the latest version of Thunderbird).

1 Like

Yes, the thunderbird bug is really anoying. Until this point I had no problems with PureOS (except for not being able to install Steam).

How can I revert back to the old version?

Edit: Thunderbird bug was squashed in couple of days. Installed steam using flatpak. Overall I like the rolling dist. as most packages are new. One way to add usability and allure to use PureOS is to promote flatpak as an alternative both in terms of stability and selection of programs which cannot be made available due to Purism’s ideologies. At the very least some wiki pages about flatpak usage would be welcome to novice users whom need certain programs for example for work.

1 Like

Using the rolling release is a give and take issue. I think in an interview that it was mentioned that rolling was an intentional decision to insure that 0day and other exploit patches were applied as quickly as possible. yes this might break stuff however, it should make your os more secure.

1 Like

Debian has a security repository that receives immediate updates separate from the major point releases for stable (& oldstable, oldoldstable) and testing that receive feature-only updates every couple years. unstable (Sid) is always bloody-edge current, and backports makes the whole thing more complicated. APT has a lot of features that many do not use, like pinning and the alternatives system.

1 Like