Why Librem 11 so bad?

Hello.

Why is Librem 11 so bad?
Why not make it in an aluminum case like Librem 13 and give it 16GB RAM and a normal (not mobile) processor?

Why is it not included the TPM?
Thank you.

The last I heard about the Librem 11 from Purism is that they were dropping the 11 inch size for 12 due to not meeting the minimum order quantity (500 if I remember) demanded from the manufacturer of the 11. So there is a possibility that the case could be redesigned as alumimun with more RAM.

TPM seems to still need to be decided on. I’m interested in that being included.

As for the processor, I think it makes sense for it to have a mobile processor for a fanless design, and extend the battery life.

I’m still clinging to my pre-order in the hope that around the time the Librem 5 ships they might be able to complete it.

1 Like

Todd Weaver did a Reddit AMA in March, in which he posted this:

Librem 11 we have finally cracked the nut on the Minimum Order Quantity (MOQ) and Non-Recurring Engineering (NRE) fees for the ID, MD, and EE work to get the kill switches in such a tiny form-factor as a 2-in-1 tablet, so we suspect this will materialize into a shipping product in the summer of 2018.

I’m not sure whether that means we’re back to an 11" screen, or whether he referred to it as the 11 because that was the original plan, but it will actually be a 12" screen. Still, maybe just a couple more months on this one.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, what do you plan to use the Librem 11/12 for mostly?

I mostly bought it because I don’t have a tablet and wanted to support Purism, but I think it would be useful as a spare system in case my main laptop dies, and I also wouldn’t mind using it to try start learning about development for a tablet-style device. I would imagine their could be some similarities between it and the Librem 5, like working on the mobile versions of GNOME and KDE, though I don’t actually know if there’s an merit to that thought.

1 Like

I personally don’t think it will be bad at all considering it will be running linux.

Also, been waiting a while to hear some news on this tablet/computer as i would love to get one! Hope everything goes well!

1 Like