Why the 5 in Librem5?

Does it have a specific meaning? Is it the 5th and final attempt on blueprint of creating a phone?

The 5 is for “5 inches”, indicating the size of the screen. It has a 5.7-inch screen.

2 Likes

So basically freedom on 5 inch screen?

2 Likes

In other words, named consistently with the laptops: Librem 13, 15, 14.

Once upon a time there was also a Librem 10 in the works, but apparently that got cancelled: https://forums.puri.sm/t/librem-10-just-disappeared/732

3 Likes

… for now.

1 Like

Yes, and I hope Purism brings it back, after the Librem 5 is on a normal 10-day production cycle. I have a 2013 iPad Air that is undoubtedly going to become unsupported by Apple at some point, and evidently it’s super difficult if not impossible to install any other OS on it. So, I would love a GNU/Linux tablet from Purism.

2 Likes
1 Like

I’d hope for a L4 in the (distant) future, maybe even a L3 with a folding screen.

1 Like

The numbers in the name of the devices we make refer to the display size. Then we have the version number, which refers to iteration and usually mark hardware upgrades/features from the previous version, like: v1, v2, etc. For example this first version of the Librem 14 is Librem 14v1.

There was not enough interest at the time, but it is still in our wish list. But we wont get to that in the near future.

3 Likes

As a surrogate option, one can get a small 2-in-1 and install a desktop Linux distro. Just would need to enable an onscreen keyboard, and figure out the touch/auto-rotation issues.