Works on AirVoice

Just a quick update. I use AirVoice (for now, will be changing in Jan), which is an AT&T MVNO. It isn’t in the mvno database that ships with the device, so I added it.

In /usr/share/mobile-broadband-provider-info/serviceproviders.xml, under the AT&T entry, I added the APN settings from AV’s website. I also listed them in /home/purism/.mms/modemmanager/mms Adding them to the second file alone was not enough, but I’m not sure that adding them to serviceproviders.xml alone would be either.

Anyway, calls and sms work, mobile data works. Will be making sure mms works shortly.

The Gnome UI for NetworkManager / ModemManager, as usual, is crap, so expect to edit text files. Anyway, similar steps are likely to work for any AT&T MVNO.


And the answer is mms sorta works. Group messages arrive, which go through the mms subsystem, but attachments do not make it, in either direction. Not sure which setting might be not quite right.

And now it works. Friggen Gnome being Gnome… The .mms/modemmanager/mms file wasn’t quite right, the apn name was wrong. And while the phone was online, gnome would keep resetting it to the wrong value. And given there’s no way to set the rest of the needed values (mmsc, proxy, type) via Gnome’s UI, the solution was to chattr +i the files involved so Gnome keeps its grubby mits off them and then reboot.

Anyway, phone works, I’m tracing the dbus messages involved now so I can swap a decent UI on top of it. We’ll see if I end up putting gentoo on it before the new year.