Would a USB NFC reader work with Waydroid on the L5?

The Swedish main company for digital identification has recently changed its security to require NFC when registering a digital ID with their app. This effectively closes the door on running this app in Waydroid, which I was able to do before, unless it is possible to attach a USB NFC reader and make it work in Waydroid.

Is that possible?

1 Like

Has anyone tried any kind of NFC with the L5?

Any suggestions on an NFC dongle? I’d be willing to buy and test one for you. It would be good to see if this Yubikey of mine works too.

That is very kind of you, unless you have a direct need like me :slight_smile:

I was looking myself to see which kind could be suitable and found these (I am currently in Spain, therefore the amazon.es link):
https://www.amazon.es/Ewent-EW1055-Tarjeta-Inteligente-Interior/dp/B08X9YHL5Y/ref=sr_1_8?__mk_es_ES=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=1160MRTV1MYEZ&keywords=nfc%2Breader%2Busb%2Btype%2Bc&qid=1695823718&sprefix=nfc%2Breader%2Busb%2Btype%2Bc%2Caps%2C176&sr=8-8&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Alacrity-13-56Mhz-Proximity-Control-Microchip/dp/B0BVBNJGGK/ref=sr_1_11?crid=UA9JJ4EYZ15K&keywords=nfc%2Breader%2Busb%2Bc&qid=1695823822&sprefix=nfc%2Breader%2Busb%2B%2Caps%2C226&sr=8-11&th=1

I would like some input from Purism staff too, but I could certainly stomach €12.50 in order to try this out.

Try finding a device that works for people with their Linux computers (laptops, desktops - it does not really matter) out of the box, best across distributions and without additional drivers.

That device should then work with the Librem 5, too - worst case, you will need to figure out which extra kernel module needs to be added to the Librem 5 kernel.

Looking at the links, the amazon.es product does not list Linux, while the other one does - I recommend looking for forum threads or product reviews by actual Linux users though.

I would note as well that getting a USB NFC reader working with PureOS might be doable… But the original question mentioned Waydroid and some Android app. That might be a whole different story.

2 Likes

Ok, I bought the Ewent EW1055 NFC reader because it was cheap. It is not recognized in waydroid though, which wasn’t highly expected. Searching the waydroid settings app for nfc returns nothing.

I guess there must be some drivers present. This device states “Suited for Windows and macOS” and “Supports ISO 7816, T=0 or T=1 protocols; complies with PC/SC 1.0/2.0, EMV 4.1 and WHQL”.

I have installed libnfc6 on the Librem5, but I don’t know how to test if the nfc device is actually recognized in byzantium.

1 Like

You can go through these various USB listing cmds.

How to List USB Devices in Linux (linuxopsys.com)

I found these two the most verbose and helpful.

usb-devices
sudo dmesg | grep usb

This is what I find:

T:  Bus=03 Lev=02 Prnt=05 Port=03 Cnt=03 Dev#=  9 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=0bda ProdID=0165 Rev=61.23
S:  Manufacturer=Generic
S:  Product=Smart Card Reader Interface
S:  SerialNumber=20070818000000000
C:  #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=a0 MxPwr=500mA
I:  If#=0x0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=0b(scard) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=(none)

Once you find a working solution - if you are able to - then lodge a complaint with the relevant authorities that they are essentially requiring the use of privacy-abusing smartphones to conduct essential daily operations. Then also inform Max Schrems’ organization: NOYB. Maybe he’ll take up the cause.

:slight_smile: :+1:

1 Like