Xkill on Librem 5 - how?

usually xkill allows to clitk with the mouse on a stubborn window client.
what does this mean:

$kxill
Select the window whose client you wish to kill with button 1....

what does it mean?

RTM (https://linux.die.net/man/1/xkill):
“If no resource identifier is given with -id, xkill will display a special cursor as a prompt for the user to select a window to be killed. If a pointer button is pressed over a non-root window, the server will close its connection to the client that created the window.”
I’ll ques that with L5 touch only this is a bit difficult (may be expecting mouse input or similar), unless you have a mouse attached. You should identify your target window and include that in your kill command.

I would guess the “x” in the name “xkill” stands for X11/XWindows, although I am not familiar with “xkill.”

But phoc/phosh if I recall is using Wayland and not X11, so it is probably incompatible. You could try searching “xkill equivalent for wayland” and maybe you will find something.

3 Likes

Good point. The beginning of that quote from man page starts: “Xkill is a utility for forcing the X server to close connections to clients. This program is very dangerous, but is useful for aborting programs that have displayed undesired windows on a user’s screen.”

No direct alternatives seem to be available. There are several other methods to kill a window though (via terminal or GUI like via Usage) and are easily searchable.

1 Like

thank you for clarifying.

Great.
Thank you for your help

I just use the Gnome usage app to kill things. Works great.

1 Like

Thanks I’ll search for it and try installing it

1 Like

The Usage app should be installed already by default. Launch it, then on the Performance tab, click on the app you want to “force quit.”

4 Likes