Yep, L5 Needs a Call Blocker

I know it doesn’t help, it is the thought that counts.

Yes, if I can get my 30 year old mini to read a sorted 16 bit key in the blink of an eye on 20 year old hard disk. It shouldn’t be an issue for a 4 year old phone design on SD media.

2 Likes

Huzzah! Let us know. I’ll just accept the portable binary.

Yes I know it should be “free”, but I’m sure you’d accept a 20 buck “donation”. And if you can get a few hundred folks to send you “donations” it would be worth it. (You might even have to get a biz license, around 50 bucks where I live.)

When a customer cancels their number it usually gets aged so that it isn’t used right away by another person. Much of this process is automated unless you pay for a vanity number. Spammers just blast an entire NNX of 10000 numbers and yours happened to be on their list.

I’ve gotten spam calls from the “CRA” (equiv to your IRS) saying the mounties were on their way to arrest me for tax evasion if I didn’t pay up to some guy with broken english. Those ones are super funny. Check out scammer payback on youtube if you want to have a chuckle at a guy that reverse hacks these guys…

2 Likes

phosh-antispam is the goto solution. Chris (the upstream author) is using a Librem 5 as well: https://fosstodon.org/@kop316/110073815892169770

1 Like

Thanks just compiled it on the phone and it appears to work by blocking anonymous calls and launches when started from the terminal phosh-antispam.

It does not launch when selecting the icon. I will file a bug report.

Icon does not launch app.

This looks very promising. I will get around to building/trying it, but I wonder why it is not in the PureOS repository.

@Captain_Morgan, from where I could download the sources?

I cloned it from git and run meson _build -Dprefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc
but it is missing the dependency “gtk4”. Is in safe to install “gtk4” or will this break other things on the phone?

Speaking of compilers, do the compilers come with the phone or does one have to download them separately? If so which ones? If not which ones are there? (Asking this without looking.)

The L5 runs Debian and you have access to the full Debian repository of packages, which currently numbers at about 59 000 pieces of compiled software for the x86 (pc) platform and something like 56 000 pieces of compiled software for the arm platform which would be the Librem 5.

Note, I can’t find the website that tracks these numbers with specificity, but that is very very close to the ballpark.

I don’t know what the PureOS store app is supposed to show because it doesn’t provide me a list of any software to explore and the search field doesn’t work. I assume they will be populating / are populating the store with apps they have approved somehow and perhaps have paid apps as well. I could be wrong.

However, regardless of what happens to the store, the Debian repositories will always be available to you to install either from the command line or from a graphical ui front end like Synaptic. I have not used Synaptic in like 17 years so I have no idea if it works but I am certain without looking that the ui is not designed for mobile so your experience may vary.

The very first that I did with my L5 is toss it on the network, ssh into my phone and install all of my favourite software including a whole bunch of compilers which included implementations of esoteric things like Common Lisp via SBCL. The Debian repos contain basically every compiler you will ever need to code up anything for anything barring some edge cases like vendor centric compilers and compilers that do not support the Arm platform.

I have compiled it now on my second L5. Also got the gtk4 error, turned out I needed to install the package libadwaita-1-dev. After that it compiles fine. Don’t know if affects anything else on the L5 though.

When you run sudo apt install libadwaita-1-dev this will pull a bunch of more packages:

Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
The following additional packages will be installed:
  gir1.2-adw-1 gir1.2-graphene-1.0 gir1.2-gtk-4.0 gobject-introspection
  libgirepository1.0-dev libgraphene-1.0-dev libgtk-4-dev python3-mako
  python3-markdown python3-markupsafe
Suggested packages:
  libadwaita-1-doc libgirepository1.0-doc libgraphene-doc libgtk-4-doc
  gtk-4-examples python3-beaker python-mako-doc python-markdown-doc
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  gir1.2-adw-1 gir1.2-graphene-1.0 gir1.2-gtk-4.0 gobject-introspection
  libadwaita-1-dev libgirepository1.0-dev libgraphene-1.0-dev libgtk-4-dev
  python3-mako python3-markdown python3-markupsafe
0 upgraded, 11 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 2,655 kB of archives.
After this operation, 27.6 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.

i.e. I will not do it and wait for an official package. The issue of unwanted calls is not very important to me, do not happen often.

Sometimes it is a matter of getting the will to do it. Does this forum have a bookmark ability to look up later? (Otherwise I’ll have to remember to use “blocker” in the magnifying glass search icon.)

Maybe something more distinct, like “jabberwocky.”

1 Like

Is this spam call problem an US-american thing?
I could’t remember that I got an unwanted spam call on my mobile phone ever. I live in Germany and when I travel I usually stay in the EU.

I have a Swedish number, think I got 5 or 6 unwanted sales calls today.

Welcome to America!

I don’t blame America, I blame the U.S. style free market. Always trying to sell you something, whether you need it or not.

On the bright side, at least it is not the government trying to reach out and touch you. (They don’t need to, they get all they need off the free market (above).

Yes. Click … at bottom of post, then click fourth icon (the bookmark icon).

However it looks as if the forum URLs are relatively stable. So that means you can in any case just use your browser’s normal bookmark functionality to get most of the functionality that the forum offers you i.e. if you don’t care to get a reminder.