Your browser is unsupported

Angelfish registers as a QtWebEngineBased Browser 5.

With August 5 I compiled FreeBSD from git, bleeding edge, and since yesterday after some lovely holidays at the Baltic Sea, I have it now installed in one of my Acer C720 Chromebook laptops. It brings FF 116.0.1 and this forum is fine again.

1 Like

I just encountered this message earlier, and given that the browser I use (Pale Moon) has worked fine in the past and is generally up-to-standards (and that I am very stubborn) I found a workaround to force it by writing a Greasemonkey userscript:

This forcefully disables the unsupported browser check by setting the variable to false, and making it read-only so it can’t be changed to true even if the user agent checks fail.

It’s very poor design to refuse to work based on the agent string, instead of actually testing that the needed functions are present (and gracefully degrading functionality). Even more frustrating is that it won’t even give you the option to just accept the risk of not working right and continue anyway. :rage:

Edit: formatting

7 Likes

That code isn’t displaying correctly for me. NB: I can verify that the code is all present. It just gets truncated on display.

1 Like

Oops, I didn’t notice when posting… apparently using preformatted text does that, changed to block quote instead.

2 Likes

You can use ` instead, with two methods:

1. Using ` between a line of code.
  2. Using ``` separated by a line break, then the code itself, followed by another line break and the closing ```.

So, sudo apt update vs:

sudo apt update

The latter is designed by Discourse to recognize programming languages, although I believe which languages themselves are decided by the administrator. I know CSS is recognized on the Purism community forums.

Your example would be:

// ==UserScript==
    // @name purism unsupported browser hack
    // @namespace blehwhatever
    // @include https://forums.puri.sm/*
    // @version 1
    // @grant none
    // @run-at document-start
    // ==/UserScript==

Object.defineProperty(window,“unsupportedBrowser”,{value:false,writable:false,enumerable:true,configurable:true});
3 Likes