Android 15 design language vs Phosh

It’s about the “task bar” with opened apps you can see on the first screenshot right phone on this thread. It looks very similar to Phosh and as far as I know (please correct wrong information) Android had a separate page for open apps before.

The app grid itself doesn’t matter (in my opinion).

1 Like

It’s about the “task bar” with opened apps you can see on the first screenshot right phone on this thread. It looks very similar to Phosh and as far as I know (please correct wrong information) Android had a separate page for open apps before.

I’m not sure what is meant by “task bar”. Which photo?

1. The one that shows A15 Beta 4 and QPR1 Beta has looked like that on Pixels since at least Pixel 5’s (and maybe earlier). I think that’s called the “Settings Shortcuts” … which also lets you access “Settings”. Even my old Android 9 device had something similar although they were the size of icons and round rather than larger oval buttons.

2. The one that has “Share or Record an App” at the top of the rightmost view is, I think, the screenshot of what happens when you hit “Start Recording” in the app running on the left (where it says “Start Recording”). I believe it’s the interface for that app, which is letting you choose either a running app to record or letting you start an app to record. AFAIK, the general interface to allow you to switch between running applications is similar but is a full screen view … and has been that way for a long time. [ I should also note that ever since Android 7, one has been able to split screen vertically and have two running applications visible at once. The shorter centered white bar looks like the split screen bar, which allows you to size vertically.]

1 Like

That one with A15 Beta 4 etc was the last screenshot. And with “task bar” I’m speaking about that thing from desktop PCs where you can see currently used applications, just translated into phone UI (so it may has a different name).

But you’re maybe right, it could be an app. I think that was one main reason here for this thread, because it looks very close to Phosh.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it’s just part of the Screen Recording application and not an addition to the home screen running-application-chooser (since screen view on the right is side-by-side with the “Screen Recording” app). The only device where I can install Android 15 is currently running GrapheneOS and I’m not going to test Android 15.

On my Android 13 device, if I go into “screen recording” mode, it just starts recording and the recording includes the navigation to start the application or choose a running application.

[Edit:

Perhaps MidnightSun could have been more transparent/descriptive. If you use tineye to find out where those screenshots came from, you get the context. Android 15: What we know so far and what features we want to see . In regard to the screenshot you were talking about the heading is:

“Partial screen sharing” and the descriptive text is

With Android 15, users can share or record just an app window rather than the entire device screen. This feature was enabled first in Android 14 QPR 2 on Pixel devices but will now be available across the wider Android platform.

Given this, it’s pretty clear that this is part of the “screen recording” application … and that it has borrowed on the “split screen” mode to allow one to choose a running app (top) or start a different app for the recording.
]

3 Likes

Applications in a grid layout goes back at least 30 years. Circular icons aren’t exactly new either.

Notifications coming down from the top goes back to windows mobile if not older.

Also none of these things are exactly revolutionary ideas and are all things I would expect to naturally be independently developed over time. Who took inspiration from whom? :person_shrugging: both likely took inspiration from all of the different interfaces to come before and will influence interfaces to come after.

Therefore:

Neither stole from the other.

4 Likes

I stopped using Github because it was bought by Microsoft and I stopped using Guava because it’s more or less a Google project. Android Open Source Project is led by Google, there is no such thing as degoogled Android:
Reference: https://source.android.com/

Android is an open source operating system for mobile devices and a corresponding open source project led by Google

Sorry for the off topic.

2 Likes

Everyone knows that AOSP is a Google project. When people refer to “degoogled Android” they are referring to “GApps” = “proprietary Google applications” and services (gmail, google maps, google contacts, google drive, …). I use GrapheneOS.

Personally, I have no issues with FOSS code from Google. And I wonder why it is that you have an issue with FOSS code like Guava which uses the Free Apache 2.0 license. Stats show that recently Google made about 7.5% of the commits to the Linux kernel. With the number of commits from Google to the Linux kernel, are you worried about that???

1 Like

… and lots of other stuff.

2 Likes

Degoogled is misleading in the same way as “Android is no Linux”. The message is “the evil parts of Googles Code is gone”, but it does not mean “every single line of Google code is gone” - how the word “degoogled” could be understood. People mean something else than the word leads to. And to be fair, everyone understand it nearly in the same way.

1 Like

I didn’t see things there that weren’t proprietary applications or services (and I include non-proprietary services such as google DNS services). Did I miss something?

1 Like

I just wanted to call extra attention to additional items that you didn’t list individually, in case others aren’t aware of the scope:

alternate DNS, connectivity checks, Network Time Protocol, network geolocation services, default tracker protections, location/IP address faking, replacing or anonymizing code that sends data to Google servers,etc.

4 Likes

Just because something could be misunderstood doesnt mean that the message is the problem.

Also is your argument that the goal should be to avoid any amount of code written by any google/microsoft/apple/etc company or employee of those companies regardless of if that code is open source or not?

1 Like

I stopped using PHOSH because it looks Android and i looks for somethings that do NOT reminds me Android. I could not blame to Purism, but the programmer lead for…
Its a huge shame for Phosh to be copying Androids interface.

1 Like

No. My argument was that Privacy2 is very exact about that Android and Linux relationship, but here he argues on the other side of the non-very-exact-people. I just wanted to say “gouessej has a point when being very exact, as Privacy2 has when he says that Android is still Linux”.

And what design is like Android? The white bottom bar, anything else? I thought KDE Mobile is copying Android (with maybe own design improvements).

3 Likes

As an observer, it does not seem that they are copying but merely using what is practical
@guido.gunther

4 Likes

There are a lot android copies, but what i hate most is the notifications page buttons and the 3 bars when one App opened.

1 Like

How do you know it is a copy? Have you asked the devs? What if it isn’t a copy but merely a good idea?

4 Likes

At least about the white bottom bar we can be pretty sure it’s both. It was designed to shrink the bar.

2 Likes

To be clear: I wasn’t the one who started using the phrase “degoogled Android” … they did. What troubled me is that they used it in a context where they assumed that people didn’t know that AOSP was a Google project.

I’m not defending the poor design of the phrase. I was only describing what other people mean when they say it since it’s completely obvious that AOSP (Android) is Google (they actually own the copyright).

But, fair enough, let’s invent another phrase for the poorly named “de-googled Android”. Let’s use the phrase: “No Google Services or non-Free Google Applications Android” or “NGSoNFGAA” or “NGSoNFGA Android”.

2 Likes

Privacy-respecting/-focused Android. :wink: In fact, I also don’t care much about and also just saying “degoogled”.

2 Likes