Announcing the Librem Mini V2

I think you should hopefully get a shipping notification soon. My understanding is that there was a brief delay in getting the latest supply of Mini v2s to our fulfillment center (supply chain has been challenging this year). That delay caused a small gap in Mini inventory where normally we’d get them “just in time” but I think it’s getting resolved very soon.

4 Likes

I would make two comments.

1. It does not appear to be possible to order that configuration.

2. That configuration might be superior for the purposes of @qxotk

1 Like

the Purism coreboot utility script provides a function to do exactly this (for the standard coreboot firmware).

Two meanings of “order”. :slight_smile:

I mean: go to the Purism web site and try to place an order for a Librem Mini with no M.2 drive … not possible?

From a technical perspective, the firmware may well support this. That is the sine qua non but as far as I can see it can only be achieved as a configuration by wastefully ordering the M.2 drive and then taking it out, which in the context of the scenario that prompted this discussion doesn’t make sense.

it MAY be possible to ORDER with an m2 but have it deducted from the total price before shipping starts if you tell Purism what you want to do first …

they have their reasons for locking customers into these options but that doesn’t mean there can’t be any EXCEPTIONS if you give them a good reason …

1 Like

FYI: I updated my order to get the NVMe drive, and drop the SSD.
The change was no problem - just emailed support, and they provided me options for making that change.
Since I upgraded - they provided me a way to pay the additional amount - no problem.
I am a very happy customer in regard to how well they responded to my change of mind.

3 Likes

indeed. that would be a coupon code right ?
my experience was a lil’ bit unpleasant since i had to enable/disable a whole bunch of things to get validated on the checkout-page (browser settings and add-on stuff i mean)

2 Likes

The change in my order resulted in an increased price, so they allowed me to submit a new payment (I think they gave me a link to the page on which to pay). Then they suggested I forward them the order # for the new payment. When I next checked my order, the item is correctly stated and the total amount is marked as paid.

1 Like

Fired up my new Librem Mini v2 last night. Since I am new to Gnome, I am going to have some questions.

Seems Gnome is in the same camp as macOS GUI, so I’m not too far off so far - but all my prior linux/debian experience has been CLI only.

got my LMv2 yesterday … will test and report next week when (hopefully) some of the parts i need to add arrive …

the all-white-packaging speaks volumes about Apple’s influence …

3 Likes

Hi there.
I’m considering to purchase Librem Mini V2 and just discovered it has non-free EC(Embedded Controller) Firmware.
Librem 14 EC Firmware was liberated, and the chip is the same:
New Post: Librem 14: Adding Librem EC, Freed Embedded Controller Firmware.
So any plans to do it for Mini also?

PS: special thanks to @MrChromebox for providing useful details about the product.

1 Like

not at this time. supporting the IT8528E is only a small part of the equation, as the board layout and power sequencing play a much larger part. It’s possible we’ll revisit this in the future, but the difficulty in flashing the EC might prove fatal – there’s no Linux utility to do so (so we’d have to write our own, which is non-trivial) and the chip can’t be flashed with an external programmer due to a lack of a diode on the vcc line.

2 Likes

Thanks. I wondering how fan management is implemented then:
is it controlled by OS, Coreboot or EC itself?
In what degree can I influence it from the software - e.g., can I stop it entirely, or manage aggressiveness of it’s work by any mean?

My eyes aren’t what they used to be… are there VESA mount points so it can be mounted between the monitor and monitor stand?

1 Like

entirely controlled by the EC, and a function of the CPU temp (as reported by PECI). There’s no way to influence/control it at all.

there’s a pair of threaded holes 80mm apart on the bottom of the case

5 Likes

This is what I was afraid of. Hopefully the cooling system works satisfiable and don’t produce much noise.

1 Like

Are the holes exactly 80mm apart? Is there a hardware manual for the Librem Mini that details that?

Is there a VESA adapter plate that mounts to the monitor, and that then the Mini mounts? I.e. something like https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PL3F2KR/?coliid=I1C63YZ5AF63AE&colid=3CPHRA3TJVMXH&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it, but known to be compatible with the Librem Mini?

I’m very interested in getting a Librem Mini, but for space reasons I want to mount it to the back of my monitor.

yes. not to my knowledge.

nothing specifically for the Mini

from the looks of it, that should work fine

I’d prefer to count on measurements, or a part number that is known to work. It isn’t possible to judge fit by looks.

sigh. 80mm is the defacto standard for these SFF devices, the manufacturer didn’t pick it at random