Announcing the Librem Mini V2

LOL. Trudat.

1 Like

I am planning my purchase of a Librem Mini v2.

I understand that I can choose either SSD or NVMe for the main storage.

Does the machine support both NVMe and SATA even if I donā€™t choose the NVMe drive for my primary storage?

In other words, if I purchase my Librem Mini v2 with SSD as the main storage, would I be able to self-upgrade to an NVMe drive at a later time?

I want to the option for NVMe in the future and I need to keep the price down at present by opting for the SSD main storage to start with.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Anyone think that the v2 upper area cooling could be solved with a self-modification of some kind? Does the case open or come apart?

self-modification of some kind? Does the case open or come apart?

from this > https://open.lbry.com/@DavidHealey:5/librem-mini-hdplex-h1-v3:4

iā€™d say that it definitely is possible to mod.

if you mail support@puri.sm you might be able to get yours without ANY kind of storage and RAM (if that is your desire) if you are willing to spend a little extra on a donation to the fund-your-app page.

if youā€™re living in the US and shipping to the US it might not be worth the trouble but if you want to avoid paying some tax at international shipping customs it might be worth the try ā€¦

2 Likes

Just made my order.

I decided to go with the 250Gb SSD and the 1x16Gb RAM for now. I find the 16Gb RAM at +$89 a very reasonable price - thanks Purims.

Also, I would like the machine to arrive ready to use out of the box.

Acquiring the RAM and NVMe storage at a later time when my budget allows is fortunately low-friction for me (located in US).

BTW Apple is sunsetting support for mid-2011 mac minis this month, so I find itā€™s a great time to finally get a Librem.

Thanks @reC for your help, and talk about mods, the machine in that video is modded. :slight_smile:

1 Like

just to be extra clear (because i do NOT want to take credit for that av-material i linked to) i am NOT the author of that av-material.

that being said, iā€™m glad you found it helpful. you might find that thread here on the Purism forums if you search for it.

My take is that there are two disk slots.

1. There is a disk slot for a disk that is physically and electrically in M.2 format. This disk slot, somewhat confusingly, can use either an NVMe interface or a SATA interface. That disk presumably must be an SSD (because noone makes an HDD in M.2 format and it would barely be possible to produce such a thing).

2. There is a disk slot for a disk that is physically and electrically a 2.5" SATA disk. While Purism only offers SSDs for this slot, perhaps it can be an HDD.

An M.2 SATA disk is basically as slow as and as fast as a 2.5" SATA disk, all other things being equal. An M.2 NVMe disk is heaps faster than an M.2 SATA disk. So if your budget allows then you are better off starting with an M.2 NVMe disk.

If you start off with an M.2 SATA disk then in order to upgrade to an M.2 NVMe disk if your budget allows it in the future then you would have to remove the M.2 SATA disk and redeploy it in another computer / sell it / give it away / junk it.

I think self-upgrade would be fairly straightforward but you have the question as to whether you install from scratch having backed up your user content to somewhere else or you play games with an external drive or you use an M.2 enclosure or ā€¦

1 Like
  1. correct, though I donā€™t see how being able to use either a SATA or NVMe SSD in the m.2 slot is confusing. Itā€™s spec-compliant.

2. correct, either type of SATA disk can be used, but not sure Iā€™ve tested/optimized for a HDD there. YMMV

2 Likes

Oh boy - between my ignorance and a near complete failure in my attempt to ask the question concisely Iā€™ve really botched this question.

Perhaps from this approach might help me more clearly understand:

Librem Mini v2 has 2 storage ā€œattachmentsā€:

1. M.2 Slot, Support NVMe and SATA
  2. 2.5" Drive Bay - SATA only
    Would that be correct?

EDIT: FYI, for my specific intent, I will not be planning to use any HDD drives at this time (and going forward, I hope).

EDIT 2: Updated per input from @kieran

Closer.

M.2 is definitely not the same as PCIe and not the same as mini PCIe.

It has

1. M.2 slot, supports NVMe and SATA
  2. 2.5" drive bay - SATA only.

It is ipso facto confusing. :wink: I mean: new customer is confused, therefore it is confusing.

Hereā€™s a question then ā€¦ is it possible to boot from the 2.5" SATA drive and not have an M.2 drive installed at all?

1 Like

Would it be possible to post a photo of the Librem Mini v2 with the top cover removed and text labels pointing out the different features of the hardware (e.g. location of CPU, ports, drive bays, etc.)?

Itā€™s identical to the Librem Mini 1, just the CPU is different.

1 Like

You can convert the M.2 to PCIe or mini PCIe. I converted the wifi card slot to mini PCIe and put a USB2 adapter in there (itā€™s too slow for USB3)

2 Likes

absolutely. you can even have both and still boot from the 2.5" SATA drive if you want

5 Likes

I ordered a Mini three weeks ago. Any chance I will get it soon?

i wonder about that too ā€¦

It took one month for delivery of my Librem Mini (v1), this past summer. A bit slow compared to Apple, but very happy with the product.

At the time, I also figured they were working their way through pre-orders.

I would feel better about it if Purism hadnā€™t already charged me for it.

I think you should hopefully get a shipping notification soon. My understanding is that there was a brief delay in getting the latest supply of Mini v2s to our fulfillment center (supply chain has been challenging this year). That delay caused a small gap in Mini inventory where normally weā€™d get them ā€œjust in timeā€ but I think itā€™s getting resolved very soon.

4 Likes

I would make two comments.

1. It does not appear to be possible to order that configuration.

2. That configuration might be superior for the purposes of @qxotk

1 Like