Announcing the Librem Mini V2

could you be a little more specific ? how much time did you leave it unpowered ? did that include the power-brick as well ?
my LMini v1 does NOT keep time after it’s been completely detached from power for a few hours during sleep hours.

1 Like

For the avoidance of doubt, it was @reC’s topic in which the question arose.

That leads on to: what type of battery? Your normal inserted button cell? A soldered-down rechargeable battery? No battery at all but instead a high capacity capacitor? Other option?

Note that if your Mini is not air-gapped, it will be more difficult to notice whether the timekeeping while powered off is working correctly, since regardless of timekeeping, if it can get to the internet, it will correct the time shortly after boot.

1 Like

yes but that happens manually only in my case … by default PureOS-Amber/GNOME has the update-time-date switch greyed out … people can do a search and find out our specific conversation regarding that here on the forums …

1 Like

Yes, it will only do that if you configure it / allow it to do that.

I use Mac for 14 years, so for me the question is will I be able to continue doing what I’m doing on my iMac ? I use GraphicConverter and SwiftPublisher for graphic work. Gimp is way too much for me, but I can get used to it. Desktop publisher alternative ? In terms of power, how Librem compares to iMac ?
Pricewise, looks the same. I’ll need a new monitor, so it adds up. I can’t see any real reason of using Librem, unless anybody can enlighten…
Anybody with similar experiences ? Thanks!

In my opinion, Krita is easier to use than Gimp. If you are doing vector graphics, then check out Inkscape. For desktop publishing, try Scribus. You should be able to run all these programs on your Mac, if you want to try them out.

There are many iMac models:
https://everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/index-imac.html

The Librem Mini V2 uses a 15W mobile processor, whereas most iMacs use a 65W desktop processor, so you are kind of in a different class. For example, the i7-10510U in Mini V2 is a four core chip, whereas the I5-10500 used in one of the 2020 iMac 27" models is a six core chip. Here is a benchmark comparison of the two processors.

iMac machines have very performant/silent cooling mechanisms that Apple is very good at implementing … Apple is the best when it comes to this stuff but when it comes to software i wouldn’t trade GNU+Linux for iSpy

my only complaint about the LMini is that it has the motherboard right in the middle of the chassis. as such only the lower-half is actively cooled by a very small-fan. if you’re doing something that stresses the m2 NVME drive in the half that’s not actively ventilated then it’s going to cause throttling and thus further cause a bottleneck.

storage drives are usually the weakest link when it comes to speed-comparisons to all the other components. RAM and CPU are VERY fast.

that being said if you need more than 4c-8t or higher single thread performance or higher cooling potential you will want to look at something else …

that’s correct

1 Like

I don’t know whether you can get someone to put that in the Tech Specs for the v1 and/or v2.

it’s not the kind of thing we’d list on the product info page, better suited for a wiki page

2 Likes

The Mini is a bit unloved in the material available on the Purism web site. No section in the FAQ and no section in the Documentation. :frowning:

4 Likes

there are still some things going on with my LMini v1 that are left unresolved (not show-stoppers though). i’m curious if the v2 inherited them as-well.

hopefully i’ll be able to sort them out with support soon …

Is there any information anywhere about the monitor that is bundled when choosing the monitor options?

I think you’ve wandered into the wrong topic (this is about the Librem Mini, specifically v2, and I don’t believe it is an option to order it bundled with a monitor) but … [Edit: This paragraph is incorrect. You can order the Mini bundled with a monitor.]

I think the answer is “no”. There is no information. You would have to contact Purism directly. support@puri.sm

I was looking at the buy page and saw the options to buy it with a bundled monitor, though, but you’re probably right that Purism can answer that directly. Wish there was actual information on their site though :wink:

But that’s the Librem 5 though, right?

same exact board, just a different SoC

1 Like

Librem Mini v2 order page…

1 Like

Sorry, yes, you are correct. I’ve edited my post above to reflect that.

Either way, Librem 5 or Librem Mini, there is no information. I have never seen any information about make, model or specification (other than screen diagonal) - and you are right to imply that many customers would want to know more detail (e.g. resolution, and more) before purchasing a monitor.

1 Like

How do you all get off flagging his explanation, defending himself? This forum makes me effing (and that censoring took some effort) sad sometimes.