Announcing the Librem Mini V2

if Purism was interested in what kaz’ wrote untill now, on the other two threads, then they would already contact him, or the miracle-workers advertised, however i see no point in bringing it up elsewhere …

i didn’t have anything to do with flagging. i have NEVER flagged anyone on the Purism forums, and i’m not interested in doing that …

I clearly stated “flagging his explanation, defending himself.” If you’re going to reply to me, stick with what I was talking aboyt

ok. but why does kaz’ need to defend himself here ? this is a thread about the LMini v2 blog-post …

Are you serious? Because this is where he was flagged.

he could have made a new post on his second thread about his ‘suggestions’ and posted a link to this thread instead …

One of two things is happening here:

A) you’re referring to his trying to explain himself because it was the topic I asked you to stay on, which makes this is horseshit, because you’re right this instant doing exactly what he did and nobody’s flagging you.

B) you’ve done the thing I asked you not to do and switched back to the thing I wasn’t talking about, derailing this conversation you and I are having, which makes this horseshit because you’re altering the context of our discussion to meet your own ends.

His first post was arguably off-topic, but no more than half of what you yourself post. His second post was an attempt at making an explanation of why his first was indeed on-topic, and it was flagged because… why? Because he used the word “physics?” I don’t get it, I can see no reasonable justification for it. The fact that you can’t formulate a rational explanation for it either further supports its whimsical nature, that is what makes me effing sad.

And if the explanation eventually comes back that “he wasn’t talking about the Librem Mini V2,” then this whole forum has devolved into a gigantic pile of hypocrisy that I quite frankly have become ashamed of.

what ? why would i need to formulate a rational explanation for ‘it’ ? i simply pointed that he should NOT have posted about ‘that’ here in this thread since the subject is highly obscure for most individuals and it’s not related to the LMini v2 in any way …

i appreciate kaz’ and his attempts to ‘illuminate’ Purism and the few who could read through his lengthy posts but i think you need to stop replying in this thread and simply go PM or something.

i’ve been aware that i too am being sucked into an off-topic here since i first replied but this needs to stop now.

perhaps you can’t differentiate between a ‘post’ and a ‘thread’ then. i was referring to his post NOT his thread. he SHOULD have posted his first reply from above in his second THREAD … if he had done that none of us would be here talking about his ‘defense’ (second-post-from-above) that was flagged and hidden. i believe that if it ( the second post - his defense ) was posted in his active-thread (second-thread) then that would NOT have been flagged or hidden HERE in this thread.

it’s not about what he said it’s about where he placed his reply which points to his second-active-thread and that is where he should have posted (as a continuation of the conversation with a link to this post).

i hope i’ve managed to explain the situation a little bit better. his second-thread is STILL active and OPEN unlike his first thread that got locked a while back.

damn right !

There is a dedicated topic for this user for alternative physics: https://forums.puri.sm/t/continuation-from-kazmroz-science/10070

This topic is “Announcing the Librem Mini v2”. There will be many people who are interested to have details of that new product. Purism will want potential customers to get details of that new product. Most of those people will be ones who won’t want to scroll through 100 posts about physics (or moderation).

And yes complaints about moderation are best taken up in the Site Feedback category.

2 Likes

Can you please confirm if the Librem Mini v2 will run Qubes-OS without any issues?

Thanks.

We’ve been testing it with the latest Qubes pre-release. The kernel in the current stable release is too old but the pre-release works.

3 Likes

for me the LMini v2 is the v1 as it should have been but considering it’s mostly liberated-software i’m willing to close an eye for you guys.

i ordered the v2 today and hopefully i’ll get it with the updated firmware out-of-the-box … as for the cold-start-‘delay’ that’s only a 35 second blank at the beginning after the power-ON button is pushed so it’s fine for now but i expect i’ll be able to sort that out with support when i receive my v2.

by the way you guys have the sturdiest thumb-drives on the market and cosidering that they are 3-in-1s that is saying something … if only they were a little faster (like twice as fast would be a great start) and higher-capacities.

Thanks for your quick reply, Kyle.

This is incredibly exciting news (for me, at least!). I have spent countless hours trying to work out what desktop computer I could buy to run Qubes, but have never found anything relatively new that was guaranteed to work.

Am I right in understanding that, when it comes to ordering, I should select:

Firmware : Default (coreboot + SeaBIOS) ?

Finally, have you tested with Librem Key, or should I forget that option if using with Qubes OS?

Thanks again.

Either coreboot + SeaBIOS or PureBoot would work. It just depends on which boot firmware you would want to use. The Librem Key works with PureBoot, and Qubes VMs can use it as well, provided they have the proper openpgp software installed (and optionally Nitrokey’s userspace software if you want features beyond standard OpenPGP smartcard support).

Thanks for your quick response.

It sounds as if I will have to do some research on having “the proper openpgp software installed (and optionally Nitrokey’s userspace software”!

Thanks @Kyle_Rankin
I’m glad I saw this or i might have been frustrated.
I have a overstuffed mini v2 sitting in my cart.
If I can run qubes-os and see pureos in 3840x2160 then I am going to have to buy it.

For the qubes-os - can you provide version numbers?
Are you saying that 4.0.4-rc1 will run on the miniv2?
I assume that this means that 4.0.3 will never work - Or - will that new kernel end up in the 4.0.3 upgade as a backport?

I love running pureos as a secure host and running kali and blackarch and parrotos and kodachi as vms.
But I am going to need qubes-os for more serious situations.
Thanks again,
-non@

@Kyle_Rankin is the v2 coming with the s970pro or the newer s980pro ? the new NVME drives were announced by Shangsung but i don’t know if you guys can put that in my order as it is right now ?

1 Like

Forgive me if this was answered already, but how is the Mini v2 stacking up in terms of software freedom? More specifically, is Purism aiming at obtaining an RYF certification, and if not, what are the non-free parts?

That would be cool, though I don’t believe the Intel Management Engine is completely removed yet (mostly, but not completely). When/if that is done, RYF certification could probably obtained for their laptops as well.