Anyone Successfully Run WayDroid on Librem 5?

Not sure you can. Waydroid itself would need to have the abilities to push the Gnome notification api, or whatever it is using. I don’t believe it can, and this is about isolating it from Gnome / Linux. I could be wrong though.

1 Like

Until there’s native support, maybe installing KDE Connect both inside (as an Android app) and outside (as a regular Apt package) Waydroid, then pairing the two would work? Not sure how many KDE packages you would pull on the Librem5-side this way, though.

Its close i was able to install a job deb. With the following observations:

1. No wayland display support for me or no display detected,
  2. Only terminal commands work but waydroid runs,
  3. Installed image “sudo waydroid init”,
  4. Run session “sudo waydroid session start”

And it shows the session is started but no app window where i can select to install or run any android software in, did a pick an older job .deb?

I think you may need to run a command like:

waydroid show-full-ui
2 Likes

ahh i give that a try i was wondering why nothing ui wise is showing.

Error:
“failed to get service waydroidplatform” trying again …

so no cigar

Btw. a stupid question - does WayDroid on Librem 5 gets some benefits compared to WayDroid running on a notebook? Like a benefit from having the SIM card in the Librem 5 or like sensor data?

If the service is not running, I think it can be started with:

sudo systemctl start waydroid-container

So, after re-booting the phone, you can open a terminal and run these commands in order:

sudo systemctl start waydroid-container
waydroid session start
waydroid show-full-ui

At least, that is what works on the Pinephone. I don’t know if there is something different with the Debian package for the Librem 5.

Also, if you want to start the waydroid service every boot, you can enable the service to start on boot:

sudo systemctl enable waydroid

Two other points regarding convenience:

1. The waydroid window that appears will automatically be sized to the available space, so if you have the on-screen keyboard up while the waydroid session start command is executing, then you will end up with a very small waydroid screen. If you close the on-screen keyboard immediately after executing waydroid session start and wait for the command to show something like “user[0] ready,” then you should have no problem with the screen size.
  2. Also, if the waydroid-container service is started, then you should be able to start the session and show-full-ui together automatically by clicking on the waydroid icon in your apps tray. At least, it worked for me. But waydroid is still pretty unstable, so you can expect things to break.

Some Android apps come with platform-native components or libraries. In my experience, those components sometimes ship in a variant for AArch64 but not for Intel.

So I’d expect that with a Librem 5, which is based on AArch64 unlike most laptops, you should be able to use a larger library of compatible apps without having to rely on crutches such as libhoudini and libndk.

1 Like

Thank you. If it is all about the architecture, then Raspberry Pi should perform similar?

1 Like

Good question. I’d expect that to work. Have never tried it though.

1 Like

An other question : Is there a possibility to save the container in order to reinstall it after reinstall a fresh waydroid and then copy paste it in the folder, in case it later does not work any more ? (I had to reinstall waidroid because it suddenly did not work any more - please see my last post who did not become an answer, for further details)

I had Waydroid working end of last year and the last 2 android OS updates broke my copy. After the 20230128 update, the Android Keyboard didn’t pop-up when focussing on a textbox. After 20230211 it just would not boot. Anyone else have this?

I was hit by the keyboard missing problem, but the latest update solved that for me, see Waydroid issue #728. Hopefully if someone else can help you with getting it to boot, you will get the Android keyboard back as well.

awesome great explanation thank you! I kindof ran out of steam so will be a while before i test it again.

its early days fir waydroid.

2 Likes

Waydroid window closes each time a command like “waidroid …” is made in the terminal. Is it normal ?

I really like waydroid and this is the location for transferring files to and from your L5
admin:///home/purism/.local/share/waydroid/data/media
The only problem I have with Waydroid is that almost every time I use the keyboard on my L5 it crashes Waydroid’s window making me restart Waydroid

Hello
To all those who have tested WayDroid.
Does the banking application to validate payments work?

Some apps do not work because they need camera (Revolut for example). Some apps detect (false) jailbreak then do not open (Freie Gesellschaftsbank CH, for example). UBS does work with it fine, although it is very sensitive app. So you have to try it. You need to look in Aurora Store to find them.

All Android-only apps I need to run are second factor authenticators for banks and work, and none of them work (I installed with Aurora Store, keeping all options at their default value). They all say my device is jailbroken and for “security” (whose security?) that is not allowed. I guess I’ll be carrying my Android device with me for a while, every time I need to work or bank… :frowning:

2 Likes

I guess you need to work out how the app is determining that and then work out a way to fool it.