Continuing the discussion from Estimate your Librem 5 shipping:
Rather than answer @aircan’s question in the thread it was asked, I thought that it made sense to start a new one.
Since the approach depends upon the threat model, please be specific about what you are trying to achieve with your idea
In my case I am trying to protect my private data from being commercially expropriated by technology companies.
I am doing this gradually over time as it is a learning exercise and convincing some of my friends and family to use more privacy-respecting methods of communication takes time.
- To prevent my ISP from stealing my data, I use a algo vpn as my private vpn. I create two new vpn servers every month and destroy the old ones;
- I use DeCloudus dns resolver for one of my vpn servers with alpha server (full google blocking) and one with the standard algo vpn with the local ad blocking dns resolver; I find there are times I need to go to sites that use google in some way, shape or form;
- I have moved my email provider to fastmail because they claim not to read my emails and I make extensive use of aliases. Fastmail has a tutorial on how to use it together with pgp;
- I have exiled whatever residual direct interactions that I have with google to a legacy device and a vm on my linux machine;
- I got one of Rob Braxman’s degoogled devices because I don’t know whether an android device will be necessary once I have my L5. In the meantime, it is the device I carry with me as I keep my legacy android device at home;
- I am not on facebook or whatsap or instagram;
- I am using secure messenging apps (signal, telegram and threema) as my preferred method for communicating with people;
- I use qemu as a poor man’s qubes to quarantine google and microsoft and linux instances;
- On lineage I use only apps that can be installed on fdroid or aurora;
- I am using callcentric for sms. It forwards sms’ to my email;
- I get my domain names from a provider that will not list my name in the whois
Edit: I am adding stuff as I remember what I have done.
Also please feel free to make suggestions. Much of what I am doing has come from posts that I read here.