Batch Fir (Version 2) of Librem 5

I wish this were true, but the i.MX 8M Plus is a very different chip than the i.MX 8M Quad. It has added an NPU, ISP, DSP, 3D audio, video hardware encoding and secure keys, which means that it will take a lot of work to fully support it. Another problem is that an additional chip will need to be added in order to convert from HDMI to DisplayPort Alt-Mode. See: FAQ: 7.1 What will be the changes in the Fir batch and should I wait for it?

I guess Purism could use the Plus without supporting those new components, but using the ISP and video hardware encoding would substantially improve the camera and make it a lot more energy efficient.

The biggest advantage of the Plus is the fact that its FinFET 14nm node size should run cooler and consume less energy, compared to the planar 28nm in the Quad. In my opinion, the poor battery life and the excess heat are the biggest problems in the Librem 5. I would like to see Purism use the 800MHz secondary processor in the Plus to implement a new low power mode for the phone. That would dramatically lower the power draw for many tasks, and would allow the phone to receives messages over the WiFi that it currently can’t do when suspended, and avoid the problem with the cellular modem not always waking up and taking too long to wake up.

However, it will be difficult for Purism to raise the funds to undertake a redesign of the Librem 5. Purism can’t use crowdfunding to finance its new projects any more, due to the reputational hit that it took with the Librem 5. If Purism had the finances, it probably would have designed the Librem 11 based on the i.MX 8M Plus, rather than using an ODM design with an x86 processor. I’m hoping to see the Fir based on the Plus, but I’m skeptical that Purism can get the finances for it, and the market will be small for it.

4 Likes

I doubt that: Purism did fully reach shipping parity with the Librem 5 and can use it as proof of their crowdfunding campaign success, in spite of all of the obstacles encountered throughout its journey.

Also, Purism has other means to fund their operations as stated in their most recent investment email.

To be clear … I was imagining an i.MX 9 series CPU, one that is more directly compatible with the existing (Evergreen) CPU.

3 Likes

So SOC i.MX8M Plus planned for Fir could be overclocked and run stable to 2.0ghz=8ghz so that is a lot power, however Heat-Hardware-Management need to improved.
Also i know that this s.o.c has less power for g.p.u however this s.o.c has other fancy accelerator that the gpu missing does not matter at zero.

Purism Community

2 Likes

Add Copper Screws for Librem 5 Fir and Evergreen.

Purism Community

1 Like

Please Please Make Librem 5 Fir with a Delicious Gnu Design plus Black Translucent Smoked Body.

:pray: @francois-techene

1 Like

Point of order: could we have like a wiki or wikified thread that has a table that collects all the weird new-and-old suggestions from all the different threads from over the years…? We could then hash out how likely/doable/expensive/feasible/combustible they are… :fire:

2 Likes

I think an appendix containing various reference sheets would be a great asset for the community wiki. It would be tremendously helpful if the unanimous truths spread throughout the forum were organized there and curated by the community. Official documentation currently leaves much to be desired and will be expanded upon by Purism staff as time allows. (Community contributions via merge requests are also highly encouraged!!)

2 Likes

Do you have access to update the Wiki? I am not certain but I think that if you do then you can create a new page on the Wiki yourself. The problem might be that many forum participants do not have access to the Wiki, so those that do would end up copying text in on behalf of those that don’t.

I completely agree that good suggestions could easily get lost among the sea of posts.

1 Like

I think wikified thread start post (like in the old “Promise delivery chart” thread) might be better to have competing suggestions voted and/or argued (like… “Should it be an L4 or L6?”). But would that deteriorate to just another thread…?

1 Like

Quite possibly. Hence the implied suggestion that the Wiki captures the ideas and the topic covers the discussion (debate).

2 Likes

I put links to all the reference sheets for the Librem 5 hardware here:

Do you want reference sheets to any new hardware that we recommend for the Librem 5 v2 (i.e. Fir)?

2 Likes

I just checked and noticed that many of the links are now broken. They need to be updated.

2 Likes