Battery life of phone. Option to buy batteries?

Fair enough. However, for those that can self-repair, we shouldn’t have to send in for repair to purism when you have to pay for shipping after 6 months and also higher cost after warranty is over. Also, the time to send and receive is a high cost and being able to do by yourself would be better. Furthermore, if you believe you are unskilled or do not have the correct, expensive tools to repair your own product, you could go to a third party repair company that can install the OEM hardware you bought for X price. Instead, you are forced to go to purism for most computer repairs which doesn’t seem very fair.

3 Likes

if this won’t do it for you nothing else will

1. https://charger.nitecore.com/product/nps600
  2. https://charger.nitecore.com/product/fsp100

want off-grid ? no problem … but as soon as you open that kill-switch for the cellular-modem it’s game-over …

that’s why Purism should think about offering certifications (of some kind) for small-middle sized companies so that people can get their stuff repaired wherever they might be (locally) around the world.

you know there is that thing called an iFixIt tool kit (the Pro comes in mind) …

1 Like

I know ifixit. Pretty sure everyone does. They aren’t selling any librem parts.

1 Like

Um. What? Confused?

If that’s the bottom line and perhaps core of your questions here (for us from Europe), you have right to know that there was resale of the Librem Laptops.

Past:

Recent:

1 Like

I know iBrokeIt too. :slight_smile:

Say what? It weighs almost 6kg. Build your muscles while getting 2 weeks use of your Librem 5 on a single charge? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Um. Ha ha?

haha. exactly :slight_smile:

we were complaining about a FIRST gen open-hardware phone battery life so i tought it would be the perfect moment to troll while presenting a perfectly viable alternative for body-building enthusiasts and paranoid off-griders :wink:

3 Likes

I’ve experienced with bike parts sourcing that Google search doesn’t always go deep in online stores catalogs, so I usually search (or navigate) on each store website itself.

More to the topic, I expect Purism to sell Librem 5 batteries as well, but maybe not before Evergreen shipping starts or ramps up.

I will admit to sneaking a peek at the PinePhone May Update site to see where they are. Overall, remarkably similar progress compared to the Librem 5, overcoming many of the same obstacles, including suffering trolls saying “…all the vague commitments regarding shipping. And when a company does not answer legitimate emails…” – classic!

This part jumped off the page:

“…a-wai, the developer behind the popular Debian+Phosh build, has christened the project Mobian – the recent Mobian build implements crust deep-sleep allowing the PinePhone to run for upwards of 12 hours with radio (WiFi and LTE) connectivity enabled…”

Since Purism is based on Debian and Mobian takes Phosh from Purism, it seems to me that this Mobian innovation could be helpful for the Librem 5. I mean, why re-invent the wheel? :nerd_face:

3 Likes

Maybe, but both radios would be completely different in the PinePhone as compared with the corresponding radios in the Librem 5.

That had occurred to me, but even if the code cannot be taken verbatim, the technique may be applicable.

I’ve made this joke before…

… but it seems in the future the battery could indeed get better, last longer: a new, better variant of Li-S, which also"… would also be cheaper to produce, have a smaller environmental footprint than those currently on the market, and lead to less hazardous waste, the researchers say."
So, I guess we’ll have to stay tuned and ask for an upgraded battery v2 or v3 (also a built in Qi maybe?) in a couple of years.

2 Likes

Purism says that it will sell extra batteries.

The power management improvements in the Mobian are mostly based on Crust, which is firmware for the Allwinner A64 and H5 (with partial support for the A83 and H6):

Crust improves battery life and thermal performance by implementing a deep sleep state. During deep sleep, the CPU cores, the DRAM controller, and most onboard peripherals are powered down, reducing power consumption by 80% or more compared to an idle device. On boards without a PMIC, Crust is also responsible for orderly power-off and power-on of the device.

For this to work, Crust runs outside the main CPU and DRAM, on a dedicated always-on microprocessor called a System Control Processor (SCP). Crust is designed to run on a specific SCP implementation, Allwinner’s AR100.

Crust has been development since October 2017 and still has problems waking up fast enough to take phone calls.

Purism is currently not focusing on suspend to RAM for the i.MX 8M Quad, but instead working on other power management improvements.

3 Likes

… and/or recharge faster.

As not sure if this USB-C power bank with graphene core might significantly extend practical outdoor usage of Librem 5, so asking what is your opinion about it? Anyway, it should be quite usable (instead of carrying around four AA batteries :sweat_smile:, just comparing two sizes) as portable and ‘rapid recharging’ (1:45hrs) 5000mAh power bank.

Besides, here is an answer to @ballgum previous question:

Nice idea but it’s not the internal battery. I’d rather change the internal battery than tether a brick to it. And the size is inconvenient - I’d rather it be double wide and half as thick (or less) as then it would nut bulge and could potentially even be fixed on the back of the phone (or built in case).

Thanks for your opinion! Therefore and although price was tempting I decided to wait (be on safe side) for something like this (bigger one with the same capacity) graphene-composite battery (with pass-through charging ability and USB-A output of 12V/1.5A).

The good news is that the folding technique can be extended to other types of active materials and even other kinds of rechargeable batteries, not just Li-ion ones.

You maybe could/should copy/move case discussion to one of the case threads, but about that extra battery, to avoid thick bulkiness I’d look for tail/end mounted (no cord) batteries too. They’re about as wide and thick as the phone so mostly add only length, adding maybe 3000mAh - a compromise for sure.