Battery? - what battery?

Camera has no flash told me.

It’s easy to know the camera doesn’t work by taking a number of pictures, then looking at them Voila! Looks like a explosion in a yellow-crayon factory.

I don’t know what you mean by manifest.
Do you use a translator by chance?

Too, it’s the “flashlight” (icon says “Torch”) that is a work in progress
I must have missed the memo when reviewing the ads.

Thanks

The camera works, but the flash is kind of do-it-yourself. Sorry about that.
Could you show the crayon factory explosion? I haven’t seen it on my photos. Perhaps your camera lost its configuration somehow.

As to whether I use a translator, let it remain my secret. Suffice to say, you had understood me as intended.

2 Likes

@dcz interesting you say the camera works. I can’t get the camera to work myself.

I can’t get it to snap a photo. Also, when you say it works, do you mean without having to manually adjust gain, exposure, etc? I have to manually adjust those settings to be able to see anything from the camera. Then, clicking the photo button, doesn’t work for me?

With everything I’ve been reading in these forums about the focus of work being on camera, I was assuming the camera is still not to an ideal state of functionality, operabililty? Am I mistaken on that?

1 Like

I’d love to show you. It will have to be in 2 posts, this and one more.
I will upload a pic as taken at the same time this one from a old Flip Phone that just texts, phones and pics.

The next after this will be from the device - taken by the device across from person w/ flip phone.

From Flp Phone
Photo1077

From Cell. First, I need to logoff from this Windows box. BRB hopefully can add the pic.

I’m back. This this thing decided to go from vertical to horizontal without being touched, then a minute later it opened text editor

1 Like

UPDATE:
I can’t login from device right now because the long and cumbersome password I used to sign up is pretty _____ hard, especially when I can’t see it the tap was right, or made 2-3 copies of the one key-press - which is too often. I tried.

An area of keyboard is so sensitive, I just need to hold my finger over it and it loads up what ever it wants. When tapping, very carefully and gently, I sometimes get machine gun spittle 2 or more of the same character. Oh what a world, what a world. Tomorrow. It’ll keep me off the streets and out of the pool halls :slight_smile:

“Draft” version of millipxels 0.21.0 is available since three weeks from here: Camera (Dev Preview) app crashing (already includes quite precise autofocus adjustments): apt list millipixels, download and unpack artifacts.zip file, cd to that particular Download folder and sudo dpkg --install smaller .deb file.

Automatic adjustment is held up by bugs at the moment. https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/millipixels/-/merge_requests/82

With most software you can spend any amount of time to pursue the unreachable ideal, so it depends on what you’re asking.

As for not snapping a photo, do you not get a picture file? Do you see a spinning animation? Do you have logs?

2 Likes

Sorry Sharon, for my churlish answer. It was a rational one. And i think about put your battery off if your phone is off. In Mind that your offline Phone will not need more Power, as a battery discharge by storing at atmosphere, like store a full battery in a drawer without placement in a device. Physically they still degenerate somehow.

Hope you and we, cant update our librem5 open source device to save some more energy to be lost.

@dcz @irvinewade @amarok

Was finally able to get the second pic off the L5 and uploaded.
The image as taken not with “flashlight” but with “Torch” There being no flashlight I can find.

First, with old flip phone.
cap_flip_phone_360

Now, the L5 with yellow “Torch”.

cap-crayon_360

Am I being too finicky?
~s

:open_mouth:

Funky but probably not what you want.

What does a photo from the Librem 5 look like with the “torch” off?

Like the light at the end of the tunnel, without the light = black.

Are you adjusting any of the settings in the camera app? (Typically you need to.) “Black” suggests that the brightness in the camera app is set right down.

Are the photos that come out matching what you see on the preview screen i.e. in the camera app before you take the shot? In other words, is it what-you-see-is-what-you-get?

Didn’t make any changes - thought default would be right. The settings via camera are:
I will look around and see what the default should be.
BTW - The ‘bad trip’ colours were taken with the torch On.

Present settings are:
Gain 32
Exposure 990
Balance D50
Focus 250

There is another discussion/suggestion with @Quarnero, @dcz @ and @kms about ‘millipixels’ software (above). I’ll wait a couple years until it’s out of Beta testing. I hoped the “Camera” (what ever it’s name is) was done testing. Didn’t say that in sales ads!!!

Too, the battery - STILL what Battery. From 100% to 16% in under 1 and 1/2 hours.

Found settings for camera. Takes a good number of taps in the micro-menu to wake it heck up!
Takes 13 seconds to spin. Then nothing. No idea what it did until checking the folder. That’l sell a lot of devices I’ll call it a phone when it works, or I need a long extension cord so I can take that picture mentioned, outside. Piece of
~s

1 Like

For your first photo, you might be better off outside in brighter light.

Thanks @dcz, yes I do understand the challenge of the unreachable ideal with camera settings. In terms of snapping a photo, yeah, the one time I tried it last weekend, I didn’t get a picture file. I haven’t really tried using the camera beyond that, so let me test it some more. Where can I find the logs for camera activity?

ETA on when the device camera will work?

BTW - I am NOT trying the reach any unreachable settings Irvine. I would just like to see a decent image from indoors. I tried outdoors, but it’s been cloudy and dull for weeks here and as a outdoor camera, nope. If the light for it is yellow, then it’s not working.

BTW, my first picture was indoors. I hope I didn’t burn out something and your suggestion is to set the camera with a outdoor pic.not if I already sent pics from it.

A stalker device is looking pretty good - privacy in exchange for what my friends have gone without - headaches.

Just run millipixels from the terminal and show us that.

Same answer as before, answering what is “work” would be helpful. For some people it “worked” last year: https://puri.sm/posts/librem-5-photo-processing-tutorial/ For some it might work in maybe a month when we iron out some issues blocking automated settings.

One thing for sure: you won’t take a “working” photo indoors without changing any settings today.

I think what @Sharon is meaning is when will the Librem5 function at the level it was advertised.

Realistically this is infeasible to answer in the forum as it would require a crystal ball as well as acknowledging that the marketing was (still is?) done in a way that set consumer expectations much higher than was practical to achieve by the original launch date.

1 Like

I still haven’t been told if the “Camera (Dev)” is millipixels or not. I hope it is. Here then is a pic taken with device a hour ago. Had to move pic from device to PureOS on a desktop, to Windoze box so I can reply. Using the device took a lot longer due to some buttons offside and unreachable even in landscape. No, it doesn’t swipe left or right, some do, some don’t on this page anyway.

At the top of the image is my Win desktop bottom of monitor screen.