Birch Shipping Email Received

He didn’t imply that the higher cost of this modem is gonna fall onto us. It’s just that at this stage of the process (batch) it’s not financially feasible for them to throw it in the phone. By the time the final batch is off the assembly, all orders will be granted the choice of modem with no extra charge.
What you can argue, is that their shipping announcement - list of the bacthes, lacked details in hardware description. Or perhaps inaccurate and misleading.

1 Like

is this implying that Birch/Chestnut/Dogwood have the option to NOT be delivered and charged for a modem ?

The comma signifies “and” only when it’s used as a seperator in a listing with multiple comma’s and the last seperstor also including “and”. E.g.:
“I like GNU, Vim and Haskell.”
If I were to go crazy and start disliking Haskell, then the sentence would not change to:
“I like GNU, Vim.”
Because in that sentence I am basically telling Vim that I like GNU. (The comma is here to change the meaning from me liking something called “GNU Vim” to me telling Vim that I like Gnu.) Instead the sentence would become:
“I like GNU and Vim.”
and thus the comma’s would be dropped altogether.

And the semi-colon is used as for when comma’s are already being used and using them again for another purpose could create confusion. Take for example this listing of tuples: Brussels, Belgium; Amsterdam, Netherlands; Paris, France. This is kind of how the “’” and ‘"’ (or their proper version) are often used when they need to be quoted.

Or at least this is how I understand it.

2 Likes

Do you include Canada in the “US Market” as it applies to the modem choice of broadmobi?

No, I didn’t think about it much. Though, US and Canada tend to be bundled up together. You should check out their spec sheet, showing all the bands and frequencies it covers. I’m pretty sure, it will have more than Gemalto

1 Like

With all the talk of modems, there is still a batch of Australians with pre orders waiting patiently for news of a suitable modem for our area. Supposedly the more suitable variant was being investigated as per an announcement months ago, but still no word which seems, to me at least, a bad portent. Honestly, if the L5 isn’t going to cut it with the basic ability to make/receive calls here I’d like to know so i can get a refund and move onto an alternative. But this is just another arm of the opaque communication we are all enduring.

1 Like

To be fair, they have quite a lot on their plate at the moment. Give it time.

2 Likes

We have to be more patient. They ran into the big hurdle and now trying to resolve all these issues.what I would suggest, is wait and see what works by Dogwood batch release. Once that batch is out and tested , we’ll know the real modem options, probably with some alternative ones (like Quectel) if some folks give it a try. Just hang in there , folks.

Edit:
For those who are impatient or worried enough, if at any point you want to request a refund, I would suggest to first try and offer your order to someone you know or ppl in this forum.
That way , you avoid hurting the company and making someone happy at the same time. :slight_smile:
In my case , I want this phone to be my daily driver with a few shortcomings. Chances are 50/50. If upon the mass product release (Evergreen), I don’t see it happen (too many cons), I know 2 ppl who will gladly pay me to take it from me.

2 Likes

I’m patient, but I am a little concerned about whether or not (regional) Australia is even in Pure’s plans. Yeh, sure, its tiny I know… Just reading the email on reddit about the Birch email sent out, it appears , at this time, it is US and EU modems that are being offered. I was under the impression that there were some Aussies here that were onboard early and would be in the Birch batch. I may be wrong, but as it stands the L5 would only function in large centres in Australia.

Unless there are some from Australia here that have received a different email? I get that they are flat out elsewhere. My preorder will stand of course. It would be nice to know if there has been progress with modem options that applies to the few Aussies here.

3 Likes

Dealing with thermal and antenna issues will benefit all customers everywhere. It makes sense to tackle those issues first.

Given that it seems like there are delays with the Gemalto modems and making the potentially optimistic assumption that all the BM818 modems are interface compatible, if anything that is a favorable development for you (i.e. since the Gemalto modems weren’t going to be usable for you).

You could try expressing your concerns formally via email. Perhaps that will elicit clarification regarding your specific query.

Being realistic, you most likely aren’t going to get your phone this year (don’t know what date you backed and what batch you could be in and what batches you nominated), so plan a great Christmas and New Year and resume contemplation of getting a Librem 5 next year. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

It looks like you should be covered.

Purism supplied a list of supported bands, as referenced earlier. The BroadMobi modem appears to come in 4 different flavours, Purism’s list only covers 2 of them. What is covered by Purism’s list checks out with coverage in Australia. How well and where exactly coverage extends, undoubtedly varies by carrier, but Australian coverage is certainly there.

1 Like

Thanks for some clarification guys. I only pre-ordered two months ago so I’m not getting mine I’d say Q2 or Q3 next year I’d reckon. But that’s cool.

And yes, it makes sense to iron out the bigger issues of course. I won’t bug them about it. Back to being patient and just observing.

I am with them all the way. Once I get the L5 I will be up for a new laptop so that will be Pure as well.

2 Likes

I am not Australian but to me it sounds like you are offering vanilla ice cream to someone even though you know there is not even a trace of vanilla. From what I understand for Australians is APT700 or 3GPP B28 LTE major ingredient and “adoption of the APT700 band plan by most countries across the Asia Pacific and Latin America represents a major opportunity for global spectrum harmonisation for LTE systems.” @Brad you should be aware of this post:

Sorry @aaronjmorand to interrupt, but I guess that LTE B28 is very important for Australians and believe you understand why.

1 Like

Thanks for that. Yes, I am aware of that post which was a while back now. I was hoping that would lead to a follow up, but I’m not aware of any since then. B28 is the one we need.

1 Like

How would one delay shipping?

You can email support@puri.sm

Maybe this question deserves its own thread, or e-mail to ops, but it is related to the Birch shipping e-mail.

If a shipping address change is required, and the customer supplies the new address in a reply to the “pre shipping alert,” is that new address expected to show up in shop.puri.sm/my-account/view-order/x ?

@Kyle_Rankin It’s been a couple of weeks and still no word from you to clarify your position as per above? I find it a bit suspicious. Your company makes an announcement that there will be two options for the baseband, with no mention of a price difference, then months later your post. So can you please clarify if you mean “later it will be available at a higher price” or “the other option will be available later, at a higher price”. There’s a bit of a distinction there.

I based my decision to back the project on the announcement that there will be two options for the baseband. But now you’re implying that one of those options will be at a higher price.

Depends when you made that decision. If you really backed the project to get to go/no go (i.e. initial funding to make the project happen) then there weren’t two options, or even one option, just certain requirements of the baseband - and “specifications subject to change”. Later there was one identified option, the Gemalto. Later still there were two identified options, the Gemalto and the Broadmobi.

Are you saying that @Kyle_Rankin doesn’t need to clarify his post?