Boot on SD Cards with a PureOS Image

Hello everybody,

I try to boot with an SDCard (with a PureOS iso) on my new Tinkpad P14S.
I used :

• Easy2boot (don’work)
  • balenaEtcher (don’t work)
  • Ventoy (work with ubuntu 20.10, kubuntu 20.10)
  • command : sudo dd bs=4M if=/path/to/pureos-9.0-gnome-live_20200806-amd64.hybrid.iso of=/dev/sdb status=progress && sync (don’work)

Nothing Work (black screen) excepted a message with Ventoy :
" Not boot file found for UEFI !
Maybe the image does not support X64 UEFI !"

====> Références
Nom : ThinkPad P14s Gen 1
(31P) M/T-Model : 20Y1CTO1WW
Date : 2020-12-23
(Secure boot disabled)

I didn’t know you could do that. Not a choice in old my BIOS, only USB sticks, CDs, DVDs, and discs show up as choices. (We called them Stinkpads btw.)

PureOS doesn’t support UEFI as I recall.
You may find a setting in your BIOS to disable UEFI or turn on Legacy Boot, this may work for you.

try with > https://downloads.pureos.net/byzantium/gnome-oem/2020-11-20/

also try with > https://rufus.ie/

or burn it with Gdisks if you’re on a GNU/Linux GNOME distribution …

It seems impossible for mine P14S :
Intel a précédemment annoncé qu’en 2020, il supprimait progressivement la prise en charge du mode de démarrage BIOS (Basic Input / Output System) hérité. Cela signifie que de nombreux produits Lenovo lancés en 2020 ne prendront plus en charge l’option Legacy Boot dans le BIOS . La seule option de démarrage qui sera prise en charge sur ces produits est l’interface UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface).
Trad : Intel previously announced that in 2020 it is phasing out support for the legacy Basic Input / Output System (BIOS) boot mode. This means that many Lenovo products released in 2020 will no longer support the Legacy Boot option in the BIOS. The only boot option that will be supported on these products is the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI).

Thanks

It’s a developpement (unstable) version I’m ready to try it if the iso is UEFI compatible.
Do you know that ?
I’m waiting for a Librem 5 and I’d have liked to have tried pureos on my laptop.

First, this is dangerous (for your data only) what are you doing over there, please suppose/rethink what would happen by hitting Enter keycap when your /home (data collection) directory indeed lives inside your secondary SATA/USB SSD or of=/dev/sdb, as you have put this within command of “your” (but not only) choice. Therefore please use sudo fdisk -l before (every time, always) you start to copy/paste commands from some Internet site into your Terminal. And, fdisk -l would show you that your SD Card is mounted on /dev/mmcblk[x]p? (usually), and not as /dev/sd[x]?.

Second “thing”, “if=/path/to/” doesn’t exit! This just means you need to cd to that particular /home folder (path) where downloaded amd64.hybrid.iso (doesn’t matter which one) resides. And (to your advantage), that you were in wrong path/directory when executing if=/path/to/pureos-9.0-gnome-live_20200806-amd64.hybrid.iso saved your /dev/sdb data at the first place (needs to be understood well).

Where “the image” name is PureOS, which doesn’t support X64 UEFI indeed (not at this moment), but upcoming pureos-10-gnome-live (without devel) might be tailored up to your request here.

But not UEFI (meaning UEFI isn’t or wasn’t disabled). If P14s Gen 1 (slight chance for Legacy Boot), please disable Secure boot and enable (switch to) what necessary, as @spacemanspiffy recommended already. Also, you should preferably put .iso on USB stick only (of=/dev/sdX), as @tracy recommended already. Also, if this (or any other) support.lenovo.com recommendation doesn’t work for you, by recognizing that you need to bring everything back as it was within your BIOS, as otherwise you wont be able to (re)start your Windows 10 installation. Therefore please rethink carefully your steps or just leave PureOS Live aside, especially aside until you understand well what Legacy Boot means (as prerequisite for this Live image you want to load on your HW). Just don’t rush into copy/paste Terminal commands without knowing exactly what they mean, :pray: (as even Ubuntu community won’t be able to help you after your data is gone).

Please read through this thread as well:

P.S. @BrunoG, don’t get me wrong, please, as otherwise I just wasted my time, and this wasn’t my intention at all.

Hello @Quarnero and thanks for your help.
I use an electronic translator, the wording can be changed

1. When I list the methods used, I do not give the full instructions. It’s just to talk about the methods I’ve already tried so that I don’t get advised what I’ve already tried. (I used fdisk -l well and I knew I was pointing at the SD Card and not the hard drive. I also didn’t say that my SD card is mounted on a USB key supporting SD cards which gives it the path /dev/sdX). Thank you for making me realize that it can be dangerous to leave an incomplete command to a reader in a hurry.
    I don’t have a Window$10 installation and I don’t want it :blush:, but that’s not the problem actually. It’s that the P14S no longer supports the legacy boot.

2. sudo dd: I knew that this command was also called “data destructor” and that it could be dangerous. Again my intention was to list the steps I had already taken (without giving the complete method).

I realized I had to wait for the release of pureos-10-gnome-live
This is not a problem for me. I ordered a Librem 5 in July 2019. I’m patient, (even stubborn) :innocent:
Thank you so much to @tracy, @spacemanspiffy, @reC and you @Quarnero for dedicing your precious time to me

3 Likes

Well my time is not that precious, I’m retired. But when someone mentions my name I’m tickled.

Thanks for your help.
When someone gives me an answer to my questions on a forum, I try to thank him, as a matter of principle (even when the answers do not provide a solution)…

a prayer to JC as gratitude works too …

Being respectful doesn’t mean being a believer. I persist :innocent: