Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 tracker-miner-fs : Breaks: rygel (< 0.40.1-3~) but 0.40.0-1 is to be installed
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
purism@pureos:~$
1 Like

I got it!
I had to purism@pureos:~$ sudo apt install chatty tracker-miner-fs and then everything installed.

2 Likes

Great!
Now you could share your experience! :wink:

By the way, I’ve updated the archive again (rygel-related packages have been added to avoid your latest issue).

2 Likes

I really enjoy the updated packages. I haven’t found anything to break yet but I will report back if/when I do.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for your work on this. Outside of a few hiccups these have worked fantastic on my new Librem 5 and really makes me excited for what Crimson has in store.

While almost everything installed smoothly I’ve come across two errors that I’ve been trying to troubleshoot the past couple days. One involving gnome-books and the other involving gnome-maps which were both removed after upgrading everything else.

Here’s what I get when trying to install gnome-books:

purism@pureos:~$ sudo apt install gnome-books Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree... Done Reading state information... Done Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable distribution that some required packages have not yet been created or been moved out of Incoming. The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies: gnome-books : Depends: libgnome-desktop-3-19 (>= 3.17.92) but it is not installable E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

And here’s what I get when trying to install gnome-maps:

purism@pureos:~$ sudo apt install gnome-maps Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree... Done Reading state information... Done Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable distribution that some required packages have not yet been created or been moved out of Incoming. The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies: libfolks25 : Depends: folks-common (= 0.14.0-1) but 0.15.9-2 is to be installed Recommends: libfolks-eds25 but it is not going to be installed E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I’ve tried installing with folks-common and libfolks-eds25 to no success.

I’d appreciate any suggestions. Thanks again for the great work!

3 Likes

Thank you for appreciating my contribution! :slight_smile:

As far as I see gnome-books is deprecated… It is excluded from bookworm and trixie but I will try to rebuild.

gnome-maps has additional dependencies and I need more time to resolve it.

I will keep you informed :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I very much appreciate that. :slightly_smiling_face:
I will continue to use the phone and keep testing while I prepare it for daily use but so far everything else seems to work well. :+1:

1 Like

Finally, I was managed to rebuild gnome-books and gnome-maps too! Please see UPD2 note in the first post :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve just installed these and both appear to be working great! I especially appreciate having the latest version of Maps.

Thank you again for all of your work on this! :grin:

2 Likes

I thought people said “Pure Maps” was a way better product than “Gnome Maps.” I’ve been meaning to download it, but I also heard it was a flatpak and those require determining what flatpak server to download from, and I didn’t spend the time on it yet.

But is there a reason you prefer Gnome Maps over Pure Maps?

2 Likes

Mostly familiarity, I’m not that familiar with Pure Maps so I couldn’t make a real case for or against it yet. Regardless, it’s nice to have multiple options available.

1 Like

Quick instructions for your convenience:
Add the Flathub flatpak repo:

sudo flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://dl.flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo

Install PureMaps:

sudo flatpak install flathub io.github.rinigus.PureMaps
1 Like

Right but do I trust flathub, and maybe more importantly, so I trust rinigus? I know that I trust Purism, but with trust decisions beyond that, I figure it’s worth me investing time to double check.

1 Like

sudo is not needed for Flatpak commands.

You can audit the source code and/or documentation:

The main disadvantage of flathub apps for me is the big overhead in disk and RAM usage. That is why I believe that you daily apps should be built in a native environment.

5 Likes

Flathub is already included in the Byzantium install. At least, it was for me.

3 Likes

Flatpak is installed by default in PureOS on the Librem 5, but only the pureos-store remote is included:

flatpak remotes
Name          Options
pureos-store  system

Flathub and other remotes, such as GNOME Nightly, need to be manually installed.

1 Like

I wanted to report that I also took the plunge here and installed @galilley 's .debs a little over a week ago.
@galilley was also extremely helpful in helping me with a few issues I ran into when (my fault) I followed the steps wrong.

My impressions:

• I really just wanted the fancy new bottom-bar in Phosh, that was my motivation for installing these. I know opinions on this are mixed but I LOVE it. It looks so slick.
  • I’m also a huge fan of the folders on the app drawer.
  • Apps respect the dark theme from GNOME Settings now. Chatty in particular looks really good with the dark theme.
  • Some GTK apps that open separate windows (like Clocks when adding or editing an Alarm) do so in new windows and also open the keyboard. It’s awkward but only a small pain point.
  • Everything else I have tried works about as well now as they did before. It might be me/anecdotal/whatever but the phone does seem to be hotter during calls than before. That’s all I have noticed, though.

I feel that I must still add the disclaimer that installing some random internet strangers packages on your device carries risks. But so far I personally am very happy!

5 Likes

Great! Thanks a lot for the feedback :slight_smile:

I’ve read that it is possible to prevent the keyboard to show up in some specific apps. May be it is valid only for phosh-osk-stub

2 Likes