Camera development progress

Hey Purism team,
I just updated my system today and the auto scaling is amazing. You made a very good job!

1 Like

Have you experienced any hangs when taking pictures with the back camera?

Du you btw. have any reproducing steps to provoke this?

1 Like

Not really, it happens most of the times I use Millipixels. It is a bug that devs are still scratching theirs heads over. https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/linux/-/merge_requests/671

2 Likes

Yup, I know that his has been mentioned before. Thanks for the issue-link.
I’ll bring valuable information if I get some.

1 Like

I took several pictures right now and I didn’t recognize any hangings. It took a very long time to save the picture. Between every picture I waited until I saw the picture on the little button at the buttom of the app. I also tried to press the shooting button more faster and there were no problem, until now :wink:

Hmm… nasty little bug this, especially as it doesn’t seem to affect everybody. Good to hear it works for you, though.

Yes the new version of millipixels is so much better! Thank you. Let us see some differences. The next picture is taken with L5:

The next one is how Gimp reads the dng file using darktable:

And finally the same from a lenovo tablet:

Some remarks:

I like a lot the fact that L5 produces more saturated colors. It seems that the algorithm that takes us from dng to jpg has a preference for red, which I do like.

The lenovo picture seems to be crisper, I guess due to higher resolution (?)

4 Likes

The resolution of 15MPix is 4000x3000 px. You pasted a 500x500px picture. No way that the resolution is the culprit here. It’s probably inadequate focus (working on it).

7 Likes

Mine has been hanging every couple pics before I upgraded and after.

I pasted a screenshot of similar on-screen dimensions. Not the original picture. Yes maybe the focus is as you say, not as good as on the android tablet.

In any case I wanted to say that I like the warmth of the colors of L5 and a thank you for your work.

So we expect focus to improve! Great news.

3 Likes

Yes, the culprit here seems the focus, I also noticed that the picture is a bit too much blurry.

This is a picture I took in Venice in december using the old millipixels, after many attempts trying to regulate the parameters correctly, including focus.

9 Likes

To be perfectly honest, I prefer this image over anything anyone can take on a “normal” cam that does everything for you. There is humanity and mystery in this photo that I enjoy.

3 Likes

Humanity, mistery and a bad photographer :smiley: But thanks.

I just encountered the bug. :confused:
I Booted the phone when I got up this morning. Then it was in the charger to it was fully charged and then I tried to take a picture and it hang.

I just noticed the new auto-everything features and the video recording feature. Woo!

However, I also noticed that, while auto-gain and auto-exposure are both enabled by default, auto-focus is not. I wondered if this was because it wasn’t quite “ready”.

Sometimes an audible click sound is heard from the camera’s focus mechanism during auto-focusing. The same sound sometimes happens with manual focusing too, but auto-focusing can cause it to happen repeatedly. Is this normal and safe for the hardware?

I am pretty sure I installed Millipixels from the PureOS store, but it is definitely a “dev preview” version. So, did @tomoqv install an even-more-dev version than the one I have, or is there now a version in the store that is not a dev preview? When I search, I can only find the version I already have.

1 Like

The newest version is the first version with video recording.

3 Likes

I dont have an account on the gitlab instance due to pending approval i think or the email got lost getting to my mail server but i noticed you guys are moving over to a postprocessd like setup. If you guys are interested feel free to take as much as you guys need from my megapixels postprocessing scripts that postprocessd took some inspiration from. I added some more things that improved speed while still keeping everything in python so everything was as fast or faster than postprocessd in some cases. Biggest things being the run through libraw will process all the dng images in parallel which is something i see you guys are already doing but instead of saving them into an image format im actually saving them all in a hdf5 file that way reading them back in is quick if there does need to be multi passes. In my case i do a single photo pass and a burst pass so the single photo will just process the main photo that way the end user has something to look at and then will queue up a the burst photo that does any additional postprocesssing and stacking. My stacking implementation is also way faster than the initial setup that both postprocessd and i used as this one will scale the images down for the estimation and apply a correction to use that in the full res images, i also do it in chunks to avoid any issues where memory was running out especially on larger images. This will massively speed up the stacking especially with how high res the camera on the librem 5 is compared to the og PP. None of my changes for things like stacking is exclusive to python so you guys should be able to implement it in C if you guys want or keep it in python since it uses C in the backend anyways. If you do wish to try my megapixels scripts it uses podman to run things but if the tools are available locally it will use them instead, reason for a container was that i was experimenting with pytorch which did not have a build available in the repos and i didnt want to tell people to compile pytorch. The biggest benefit i think is the fact that i can still use bash scripts for the postprocessing without the performance hit allowing people to quickly make some changes and the biggest one i think is being able to change the externanl extension so people can pick between anything they want that is supported by convert or with what extras i included like jxl and avif though of those two only jxl is really performant but that hopefully isnt always the case.

11 Likes

Please send me your email address in private and I’ll get it on gitlab.

Also please no more C :stuck_out_tongue: It’s already giving me headache.

6 Likes