Can I put Mobile Nividia Graphics Card in Librem 14?

Can I put a Nividia Mobile Graphics Card in a librem 14? Where can I find a list of graphics cards I can buy that would work in a Librem 14? How good is the Librem 14 Intel Core I7 CPU? Would the CPU be a bottle neck for gaming if I put a really good mobile graphics card in the laptop?

I want a laptop that doesn’t draw too much attention. If anyone saw me with most gaming laptops they would think I have an expensive machine. And I just don’t like that. And I also need a laptop that can run a few games on it.

I know Librem’s do work with windows 10. I plan to dual boot windows 10 and Pure OS. I have a Librem Mini with 32gb ram and 512 samsung ssd. That I’ll also be installing in the Librem 14 that I pre-ordered.

Are you buying the librem only for the way it looks?

3 Likes

One of the reasons I’m buying it is for the way it looks. Less chance someone might want to steal it I guess. I don’t want a flashy laptop. Obscure is better for me.

1 Like

If you buy the L14, you are stuck with Intel integrated graphics. It isn’t possible to put a discrete graphics card inside the Librem 14 and it doesn’t have a Thunderbolt port, so you can’t add an external GPU.

1 Like

If your only reason for buying a librem is for the minimalistic design and not the awesome privacy feature then you should really think about getting a thinkpad or system76. I mean you are not even going to use /linux/pure os and install windows instead. Might as well go for a different brand.

2 Likes

You would have the kill switches, then you don’t have to trust the OS on ‘disabling’ the camera, mic, or wifi.

Purism has written its own EC (see latest blog posts) and ‘boot loader’ I don’t know if it’ll work with Windows. Once it’s in customers hands, hopefully some can test out a Windows install.

2 Likes

Wash your mouth out! :smile:

1 Like

Haha, don’t worry, I repented and contributed to some open sources projects for my atonement.

1 Like

I disagree with this. Linux users aren’t the only people who would desire a laptop made to be repairable or open. You might think that they are missing the bigger picture, but the truth of the matter is, there are ways to use Windows that preserve your privacy, and wanting to use that on hardware that attempts to do the same is only logical.

Waiting for the world to love desktop Linux before buying your products, is a path to going out of business.

2 Likes

You mean, never going online or updating the system?

2 Likes

No, never turning it on and using it as paperweight.

1 Like

I mean using the modularity that Windows is based on to thwart or disable the offending systems. (All of this is possible because of the way Microsoft builds it.) I mean do you think enterprise customers have an ounce of telemetry in their builds of Windows?

When you control the registry and the network traffic there is no way for your privacy to be exploited by Microsoft. The reason this isn’t widely known? Because it isn’t just a push of a button. If requires using software like WPD and Tinywall, and then understanding the system such that you unblock necessary things while keeping others blocked.

But to pretend you are just hopelessly at the mercy of MS on Windows when it comes to privacy is a blatant lie. That might make sense to say on Mac OS, but that sort of thing is what most of those customers are paying for. They give up their freedoms for convenience and ease of use.

Furthermore, if the people here who pretend to be so concerned about privacy and security can’t be happy about this being possible for the majority of the world’s computer users who will never use Linux, then this exposes their real agenda.

If people did that, desktop Linux would have never gotten installed in the first place.

Let me just further add, that while individuals on Linux struggle with power management, bluetooth support, and cryptic random terminal verbose crashes, I’m comfortable enjoying all the world’s modern software responsibly and while maintaining my privacy on the best tool for the job. Windows happens to be that for a great many things. Linux has come a long ways, but I laugh at anyone who says there is no reason for Windows or Mac OS to exist. It is like a cave man saying that their cave is the world, and there is nothing bigger.

2 Likes

Good luck with fighting with “your own” computer.

This is a blatant lie (using your wording). Such problems occur on “Windows-certified” hardware, which is used to run Linux, but never on hardware designed for GNU/Linux in the first place. Can confirm that everything is rock-solid and perfectly smooth on my Librem 15.

Same problems occur when you try to run Mac OS on a Windows laptop or vice versa.

1 Like

It’s odd you’d say that. I have felt like I’m fighting my computer more with Linux than I ever did with Windows.

Windows laptops have had 14 hour + runtimes for over a decade at least. Is there even a Linux laptop capable of 14 hours? Don’t answer I already know. I am not arguing this with you. I already know where this discussion goes. and it ain’t helpful.

Perhaps in the past, but in the present?

Once I have my L14 the only way that I will run windows is in a qemu vm.

It’s funny that you say that, since I’m using linux laptops running over 10hrs for over a decade now. Note that they have never been built for linux, actually opposite, by all means trying to prevent linux from running on them. Nevertheless if you know how to code you can easily tame ACPI.

I get what you are saying, but just to be clear 10 != 14.

Expecting your average computer user to tame ACPI is exactly my point.

tbh I’ve never measured it this way, it was enough for me that I could use it on the go the whole day without recharging.

Mine as well, all of that would not be needed if not WHCP and hence OEMs doing dodgy things for windows with ACPI.

seriously? A decade ago we had the original Core CPUs, and there’s no way those devices were getting 14 hour on-battery runtimes without a suitcase-sized battery

2 Likes

While this may be true, Thinkpads had, what was it, 21+ hours of battery life back on the x220 line? If you ran the Linux kernel from then on the same mammoth battery, you wouldn’t see anything comparable.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2011/08/22/i-put-the-lenovo-thinkpad-x220s-24-hour-battery-claim-to-the-test/#:~:text=It’s%20a%2012.5”%20PC%20loaded,will%20run%20for%2024%20hours.