Can't use L5 after update!

where is the file 5.13.0-1-librem5 ? it shows:
E: unable to locate package 5.13.0-1-librem5

If you are thinking of “5.13.0-1-librem5” as in the command “sudo apt remove 5.13.0-1-librem5” suggested by @mladen above, then I think it is supposed to be a package name, but I suspect that @mladen means “linux-image-5.13.0-1-librem5”, so my guess is that the command should be as follows:

sudo apt remove linux-image-5.13.0-1-librem5

You can use the “apt list” command to list available packages, for example like this to see installed kernels:

apt list | grep linux-image | grep installed

which should give a list of installed linux-image-* packages with different version numbers, then you can compare that to the output from “uname -a” to figure out which one of them is currently used.

Removing kernels can be fun but don’t get too carried away, it’s probably wise to keep at least one. :wink:

2 Likes

@ [Skalman]
thank you very much, now my Librem 5 boot again in regular fashion!

2 Likes

I did try to follow the procedure on my desktop (PopOS) just for testing purposes but I couldn’t do:
./boot-purism-librem5.sh

I had an error:
Failure open usb device,Try sudo uuu

To make it work without sudo I had to add some udev rules:
SUBSYSTEMS==“usb”, ATTRS{idVendor}==“1209”, ATTRS{idProduct}==“4291”, MODE=“0660”, GROUP=“plugdev”
SUBSYSTEMS==“usb”, ATTRS{idVendor}==“0525”, ATTRS{idProduct}==“a4a5”, MODE=“0660”, GROUP=“plugdev”
SUBSYSTEMS==“usb”, ATTRS{idVendor}==“0525”, ATTRS{idProduct}==“b4a4”, MODE=“0660”, GROUP=“plugdev”
SUBSYSTEMS==“usb”, ATTRS{idVendor}==“1fc9”, ATTRS{idProduct}==“012b”, MODE=“0660”, GROUP=“plugdev”

Add my user to the plugdev group and reload udev:
sudo udevadm control --reload-rules && sudo udevadm trigger

Is all this already done on PureOS?

Yes it is already done in PureOS. So that it works without sudo.

2 Likes

If that happens to anyone, just turn the phone off with long power button press and try again. Jumpdrive is using an older kernel which had a bug that made it sometimes not recognize internal storage, but it should work after at most a few tries.

Before launching that script, check lsusb for an entry like:

Bus 001 Device 106: ID 1fc9:012b NXP Semiconductors i.MX 8M Dual/8M QuadLite/8M Quad Serial Downloader

If it’s not there, it means that either your phone isn’t actually in flash mode, or there may be something wrong with USB cable/connection.

3 Likes

I’ve got it working I just wanted to make sure that no one else gets the same issue, do you or @joao.azevedo knows why I had to add 4 different devices to be able to launch the script without sudo?

For those interested: these steps above could actually be replaced with just “turn the phone on while holding volume-up button and plug usb cable in”, so you can try that first before doing the battery dance - however, the phone itself gives no indication that you actually succeeded and there may be some edge cases where it’s not so simple, so the official steps are slightly complicated to make the instructions more bullet-proof (at cost of being a bit annoying)

(just clarifying since I’ve seen people in the past asking about why is taking the battery out necessary :slight_smile: )

4 Likes

Yes. Out-of-the-box on e.g. Ubuntu you will need to do

sudo ./boot-purism-librem5.sh

A udev rule avoids that but for the small number of times I need to boot Jumpdrive …

I am a noob. I need to know clearly what I must do to recover all my phone number and all my appointements… my Librem 5. I still can’t do anything. My terminal say that he don’t detect any folder of that type after I try to run the scrip /boot-purism-librem5.sh

martin@Ephemere:~$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 04ca:300d Lite-On Technology Corp. Atheros AR3012 Bluetooth
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
martin@Ephemere:~$ /boot-purism-librem5.sh
bash: /boot-purism-librem5.sh: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
martin@Ephemere:~$

You are missing the . at the beginning of the command - but also you may need the sudo (can’t hurt anyway, in this case):

is what you need to type at that point in the process.

Thanks to help me but… terminal say that :
martin@Ephemere:~$ ./boot-purism-librem5.sh
bash: ./boot-purism-librem5.sh: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
martin@Ephemere:~$ sudo ./boot-purism-librem5.sh
sudo: ./boot-purism-librem5.sh : commande introuvable
martin@Ephemere:~$

Here some print screen of what I have done before. Does my folder are correctly unpack and save in a good place?

1 Like

No.

Assuming that you start in your home directory, then you should have a directory jumpdrive in your home directory (and you cd to that directory) and into that directory you would download the .tar.xz file and then you unpack the .tar.xz file into that same directory.

You’ve created an extra directory (which is probably OK) and jumpdrive within that but everything else has ended up at the same level as jumpdrive and jumpdrive itself is empty.

Still, OK, you can probably make it work.

cd
cd Sauver\ Librem5
1 Like

cd? How I ask to terminal to write « cd » in blue color?

martin@Ephemere:~$ cd Sauver\ Librem5
martin@Ephemere:~/Sauver Librem5$ sudo ./boot-purism-librem5.sh
[sudo] Mot de passe de martin :
uuu (Universal Update Utility) for nxp imx chips – lib1.2.91

Success 0 Failure 0

1/ 0   [

The colour is not important. It is an artifact of the forum software being used. (Yes, it annoys me too but …) Ignore the colours.

1 Like

You do have your Librem 5 plugged in to a USB port on the x86 host computer (and with the Librem 5 in serial download mode)?

Scroll all the way back to post #14 (the detailed procedure). In step 6 it says lsusb should output

001 Device 106: ID 1fc9:012b NXP Semiconductors i.MX 8M Dual/8M QuadLite/8M Quad Serial Downloader

(although the first part - the bus and device numbers - 001 Device 106 - may differ on your host computer - the rest of the output should be as shown)

1 Like