Cell modem failing?

I suspect that what may appear random here is in fact a result of the network communication pattern, that may depend on what your phone has installed and what things in the outside world it is communicating with. Because the issue seems to be “remote wakeup” happening at the same time as autosuspend was just happening. Example: if my phone talks to a chat server that often tries to talk to my phone after a delay of 3 seconds, then autosuspend_delay_ms 3000 ms might be a poor choice for me.

Not just network communication pattern, but also other “random” things like signal strength indications. You may have different results just because you placed your phone in another room where reception is different.

FWIW I have reverted the recent changes, updated package is going to appear in byzantium in a few days.

4 Likes

@dos, will you reset those to the former settings with one of the next versions?

I just reverted to check whether this stops the modem from not functioning without any sign in the gui or in mmcli.

Is there somewhere an open issue for this behaviour: modem does not work, but mmcli and gui show a working state?

What would be the test/check to find out that the modem is in this sad state?

Update: reverting to the old settings made the modem reset a few times and then finally the usb bus fail. Basically the old behaviour. I’ll have to wait whether the state that the modem looks o.k. from the OS, but doesn’t have a connection will return or not.

I don’t see anyone capitalizing on this so I will. This is GREAT NEWS!!! I am drooling for the update!
This combined with the double lockscreen race condition error on resume from suspend will be huge quality of life improvements!

Really excited! I’m just going to wait for this fix to be pushed. I really hope it pans out!

3 Likes

I am following this thread with great interest, because the cell modem on my L5 is unusable more often than not. It very often fails to connect altogether, sometimes it connects briefly just to disconnect the moment after. I am also used to seeing 4 bars + 4G in the indicator and no internet connection. If I am connected to WiFi and then turn WiFi off or leave the house, I also see the 4 bars + 4G and no internet connection very frequently.

I can’t say for sure that the problems have gotten worse lately, but my L5 may have had more of a struggle to keep a cellular connection during the past week or so.

Bottom line is that on WiFi I am mostly fine, but rarely when I leave the house and move about trying to rely on a cellular internet connection. I don’t know what role roaming in Spain may have in this, but the cellular performance is definitely worse than when I am in Sweden connected to my home carrier Telia.

Which logs should I provide to help troubleshoot these problems?

Edit: I use the following .desktop file to reset the modem several times a day:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Modem reset
Exec=gnome-terminal -x bash -c "echo 0 | sudo tee /sys/class/leds/wwan_en/brightness; sleep 5; echo 1 | sudo tee /sys/class/leds/wwan_en/brightness"
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Utilities;
X-Purism-FormFactor=Workstation;Mobile;
Icon=/home/purism/.local/share/icons/modem-reset.png
1 Like

Just to be clear - this is about random USB re-enumerations, so basically modem disappearing randomly and reappearing soon after. It’s completely unrelated to system suspend, and there are also other things that can trigger lack of mobile data connection (but it should be a great improvement on modem’s reliability already).

2 Likes

Yeah, here I am referring to improvements being pushed in the form of Phosh 0.25.

Basically thanking you all for two very important improvements coming down the pipe!

1 Like

I am there again where the modem can’t be recovered. Don’t know if it is related to the above, but here is end of journalctl log:

mar 07 16:25:17 pureos NetworkManager[692]: <warn>  [1678202717.6174] modem-broadband[cdc-wdm0]: failed to disconnect modem: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: No such interface “org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.Modem.Simple” on object at path /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/4
mar 07 16:52:06 pureos ModemManager[6425]: <info>  [base-manager] couldn't check support for device '/sys/devices/platform/soc@0/30800000.bus/30b50000.mmc/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:fffd/mmc1:fffd:1': not supported by any plugin

Edit: After a fresh reboot I get this in the log.

mar 07 16:59:25 pureos mmsdtng[1339]: ../plugins/modemmanager.c:modem_state_changed_cb() State Change: Old State: 8 New State: 10, Reason: 1
mar 07 16:59:25 pureos mmsdtng[1339]: ../plugins/modemmanager.c:mmsd_mm_get_modem_state() MM_MODEM_GOOD_STATE: 10
mar 07 16:59:25 pureos mmsdtng[1339]: ../plugins/modemmanager.c:mmsd_mm_state() MMSD_MM_STATE_READY
mar 07 16:59:25 pureos mmsdtng[1339]: ../plugins/modemmanager.c:mmsd_mm_state() Setting Bearer Handler
mar 07 16:59:25 pureos ModemManager[804]: <info>  [modem0/bearer2] couldn't start network: QMI protocol error (14): 'CallFailed'
mar 07 16:59:25 pureos ModemManager[804]: <info>  [modem0/bearer2] verbose call end reason (3,2001): [cm] no-service
mar 07 16:59:25 pureos ModemManager[804]: <warn>  [modem0/bearer2] connection attempt #3 failed: Call failed: cm error: no-service
mar 07 16:59:25 pureos ModemManager[804]: <info>  [modem0] state changed (connecting -> registered)
mar 07 16:59:25 pureos ModemManager[804]: <info>  [modem0/bearer2] connection #3 finished: duration 0s, tx: 0 bytes, rx: 0 bytes
mar 07 16:59:25 pureos mmsdtng[1339]: ../plugins/modemmanager.c:modem_state_changed_cb() State Change: Old State: 10 New State: 8, Reason: 1
mar 07 16:59:25 pureos mmsdtng[1339]: ../plugins/modemmanager.c:mmsd_mm_get_modem_state() MM_MODEM_GOOD_STATE: 8
mar 07 16:59:25 pureos mmsdtng[1339]: ../plugins/modemmanager.c:mmsd_mm_state() MMSD_MM_STATE_READY
mar 07 16:59:25 pureos mmsdtng[1339]: ../plugins/modemmanager.c:mmsd_mm_state() Setting Bearer Handler
mar 07 16:59:25 pureos ModemManager[804]: <info>  [modem0] simple connect started...
mar 07 16:59:25 pureos ModemManager[804]: <info>  [modem0] simple connect state (4/8): wait to get fully enabled
mar 07 16:59:25 pureos ModemManager[804]: <info>  [modem0] simple connect state (5/8): register
mar 07 16:59:25 pureos ModemManager[804]: <info>  [modem0] simple connect state (6/8): bearer
mar 07 16:59:25 pureos ModemManager[804]: <info>  [modem0] simple connect state (7/8): connect
mar 07 16:59:25 pureos ModemManager[804]: <info>  [modem0] state changed (registered -> connecting)
mar 07 16:59:25 pureos mmsdtng[1339]: ../plugins/modemmanager.c:modem_state_changed_cb() State Change: Old State: 8 New State: 10, Reason: 1
mar 07 16:59:25 pureos mmsdtng[1339]: ../plugins/modemmanager.c:mmsd_mm_get_modem_state() MM_MODEM_GOOD_STATE: 10
mar 07 16:59:25 pureos ModemManager[804]: <info>  [modem0/bearer3] couldn't start network: QMI protocol error (14): 'CallFailed'
mar 07 16:59:25 pureos ModemManager[804]: <info>  [modem0/bearer3] verbose call end reason (3,2001): [cm] no-service
mar 07 16:59:25 pureos ModemManager[804]: <warn>  [modem0/bearer3] connection attempt #3 failed: Call failed: cm error: no-service
mar 07 16:59:25 pureos ModemManager[804]: <info>  [modem0] state changed (connecting -> registered)
mar 07 16:59:25 pureos ModemManager[804]: <info>  [modem0/bearer3] connection #3 finished: duration 0s, tx: 0 bytes, rx: 0 bytes
mar 07 16:59:25 pureos mmsdtng[1339]: ../plugins/modemmanager.c:modem_state_changed_cb() State Change: Old State: 10 New State: 8, Reason: 1
mar 07 16:59:25 pureos mmsdtng[1339]: ../plugins/modemmanager.c:mmsd_mm_get_modem_state() MM_MODEM_GOOD_STATE: 8

This is the 3rd time my cell modem failed today. Below are the logs for the latest one:

mar 09 13:08:10 pureos ModemManager[799]: <warn>  [modem1] port ttyUSB1 timed out 2 consecutive times
mar 09 13:08:13 pureos ModemManager[799]: <warn>  [modem1] couldn't load network timezone from the current network
mar 09 13:08:13 pureos ModemManager[799]: <warn>  [modem1] port ttyUSB1 timed out 3 consecutive times
mar 09 13:08:15 pureos ModemManager[799]: <info>  [modem1] simple connect started...
mar 09 13:08:15 pureos ModemManager[799]: <info>  [modem1] simple connect state (4/8): wait to get fully enabled
mar 09 13:08:15 pureos ModemManager[799]: <info>  [modem1] simple connect state (5/8): register
mar 09 13:08:16 pureos ModemManager[799]: <warn>  [modem1] port ttyUSB1 timed out 4 consecutive times
mar 09 13:08:19 pureos ModemManager[799]: <warn>  [modem1] couldn't load operator code: Serial command timed out
mar 09 13:08:19 pureos ModemManager[799]: <warn>  [modem1] port ttyUSB1 timed out 5 consecutive times
mar 09 13:08:22 pureos ModemManager[799]: <warn>  [modem1/bearer5] connection attempt #1 failed: Serial command timed out
mar 09 13:08:22 pureos ModemManager[799]: <info>  [modem1/bearer5] connection #1 finished: duration 0s, tx: 0 bytes, rx: 0 bytes
mar 09 13:08:22 pureos ModemManager[799]: <warn>  [modem1] port ttyUSB1 timed out 6 consecutive times
mar 09 13:08:25 pureos ModemManager[799]: <warn>  [modem1] port ttyUSB1 timed out 7 consecutive times
mar 09 13:10:25 pureos ModemManager[799]: <info>  [modem1] 3GPP registration state changed (searching -> idle)
mar 09 13:10:25 pureos ModemManager[799]: <info>  [modem1] state changed (searching -> enabled)
mar 09 13:10:25 pureos ModemManager[799]: <warn>  [modem1] port ttyUSB1 timed out 8 consecutive times
mar 09 13:10:25 pureos ModemManager[799]: <info>  [modem1] simple connect started...
mar 09 13:10:25 pureos ModemManager[799]: <info>  [modem1] simple connect state (4/8): wait to get fully enabled
mar 09 13:10:25 pureos ModemManager[799]: <info>  [modem1] simple connect state (5/8): register
mar 09 13:10:29 pureos ModemManager[799]: <warn>  [modem1] port ttyUSB1 timed out 9 consecutive times
mar 09 13:10:32 pureos ModemManager[799]: <warn>  [modem1] couldn't load operator name: Serial command timed out
mar 09 13:10:32 pureos ModemManager[799]: <info>  [modem1] 3GPP registration state changed (registering -> roaming)
mar 09 13:10:32 pureos ModemManager[799]: <info>  [modem1] state changed (enabled -> registered)
mar 09 13:10:32 pureos ModemManager[799]: <error> [modem1] port ttyUSB1 timed out 10 consecutive times, marking modem as invalid
mar 09 13:10:32 pureos ModemManager[799]: <info>  [modem1] 3GPP registration state changed (roaming -> idle)
mar 09 13:10:32 pureos mmsdtng[1350]: ../plugins/modemmanager.c:cb_object_removed() Modem removed: /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/1
mar 09 13:10:32 pureos NetworkManager[671]: <warn>  [1678363832.6616] modem-broadband[ttyUSB1]: failed to disconnect modem: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: No such interface “org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.Modem.Simple” on object at path /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/Modem/1

The most recent one, I was able to recover by the command below, but one of the earlier ones today needed a reboot to come back.

sudo tee /sys/class/leds/wwan_en/brightness; sleep 5; echo 1 | sudo tee /sys/class/leds/wwan_en

@dos Any clue to why this is happening?

That’s how it works right now. Improvements are on the way.

4 Likes

It definitely works better with this tweak. Thanks

FWIW it’s already made it to a package update in byzantium, so it’s there by default on an up-to-date system.

Further improvements are still coming.

To clarify, is the fix for https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/linux/-/issues/303 contained in phosh 0.25.2-1pureos2, or is it in some other package?

No.

No fix for that has made it to the repos yet. So far only the recent change that apparently made the issue worse on some devices has been reverted, so for now it’s just back where it was a few weeks ago.

The actual improvements will be coming soon in kernel and librem5-base packages. Phosh is completely unrelated to that.

3 Likes

Hopefully the fix will be coming soon. Every now and then I check my phone and even though it says I have reception and working modem I don’t have any internet, calls, or SMS go through. I have to stay vigilant and use the HKS to reset it.

It’s been already there for some time now.

@Dos I have your latest update and while there were some noticeable differences (thanks), I am also still encountering this issue, among others.
In addition to everything looking fine in the status bar, but not having internet:

• not finding a 4G signal when set to 2G, 3G, 4G (preferred), and within range of a strong 4G signal
  • not connecting to any “G” when there is a signal with bars, or also when selecting 4G (preferred)
  • not being able to switch the preference of “G” network
  • not able to manually search for other carriers/bands
  • not finding any signal (no bars) when still very much in full bar range
  • exclamation point still occurs in situations it clearly shouldn’t
  • incoming call sometimes does not allow answering or declining, keeps ringing until voicemail after buttons are clicked (e.g. click answer, button shade increases, string says answering call, but it doesn’t connect, and keeps ringing)
  • APNs not appearing immediately, then ending up with duplicates that can’t be deleted via GUI
  • Inability to send MMS without manually switching to carrier’s MMS APN (loss of internet while doing so), likely due to the fact that internet & MMS are two seperate APNs, but phone assumes everything is routed through one
  • Inability to receive MMS under any circumstance (even small sized images and while on MMS APN)
  • CBS settings (sometimes VoLTE settings) resetting
  • Missing missed call notifications
  • No voice/SMS/MMS over Wi-Fi
  • No icon to indicate a pending voicemail
  • taking up to 10 minutes, sometimes more to connect to the internet, sometimes requiring toggles of swks, hwks, or reboot to solve

I have non-technical people I’d like to recommend the phone to, but only once it’s more reliable than a dumb/flip phone for phone things, and it’s not quite there yet.

1 Like

My phone hasn’t really worked right since this problem started. I actually had to stop using it as my daily driver. The modem still seems like it goes to sleep after a few minutes. When streaming music over mobile data, with wifi turned off, the stream stops between 2 and 5 minutes. Doesn’t come back until I cycle the HKS. When this happens, I check my weather app, just to make sure it isn’t Shortwave that has a problem. The weather app doesn’t populate either, until I cycle the HKS. The last straw was last week, I had an important call coming in from my lawyer, his name came up on the caller id, but when I tried to answer, the screen was unresponsive. After he hung up, I tried calling back, the contacts screen wouldn’t respond when I tried to call his number from that screen. It wouldn’t respond from the recent call screen either. Also, sometimes after being on a call for a couple of minutes, I’ll hang up and try to call someone else, and nothing related to making a call will respond. Nothing call related works until I cycle the HKS. I have people telling me they tried calling and didn’t get an answer, when I know I had the phone with me and had very good cell strength. I have too much going on right now to not be able to use the L5 as a basic phone. I sent in a support ticket on the April 30th, they asked for a log file from when the problem occurs. I sent the log file, the same day, haven’t heard anything from them since.

Did you have suspend turned off in all those scenarios?

Yes,
Never had turned it on.