Commentary on AweSIM

On the surface it seems analogous to Purism’s AweSIM service — and some people here are paying a lot extra for that. The cell provider still gets tracking information (and it’s global, i.e. there is a single unique ID for every call … rather than an ID for a single visit) and Purism claims to maintain your anonymity privacy. All for a very high premium. And, make no mistake, since technically Purism owns the number, they could get/keep all of your cell metadata unless they waive that in your contract. Here is their ad ( Purism– Librem AweSIM ).

Major cellular providers are creating unified customer identifiers based on customer account information (name, address, billing information) and unique identifiers on your mobile devices so they can “identify users across multiple devices and serve them relevant advertising. Librem AweSIM adds an extra layer of privacy to your customer data to protect you from targeted tracking. We register your phone number in our name on your behalf and keep your personal and financial data private and out of the hands of companies who would sell it to others.

2 Likes

Right, but I would much rather place my trust in Purism than Mozilla at the moment.

Privacy is the claim for AweSIM, not anonymity.

1 Like

Each to their own. I don’t trust Purism at all. I don’t place a lot of trust in Mozilla, but I trust them more than I trust Purism.

Thanks! Corrected.

2 Likes

At the moment i not trust either Mozilla or Purism. Purism is gaming with us too.

1 Like