Firefox is malware?

Ubuntu has a little more Compassion for its Users as far i know than the Evil Fedora, it is possible that Ubuntu would have disabled that option in a mandatory way.

1 Like

Right, I forgot changing that setting does that.

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: Commentary on AweSIM

I think increasing privacy violation is a philosophical problem. You can describe such problems endlessly without finding a solution.

We should focus on solutions intead of problems. We will waste a lot of time if we focus on problems instead of solutions.

Purism cannot offer philosophical solutions to philosophical problems. It can only offer technical solutions.

It’s good to know that firefox will probably increase privacy violation, but it is not productive to describe the problem in lengthy details. Just knowing the gist is sufficient.

The technical solution would be to ship a hardened browser in pure os.

2 Likes

Purism already attempted to do that years ago:

The migration to Epiphany has been less about enlightenment and more about development hell.

1 Like

I have used librewolf for years. It is certainly a lot more private than firefox by default.

If you want to judge a software, at least use it or look into it a bit. That’s like judging a book solely by its cover.

I can recommend librewolf for desktop linux.

2 Likes

As long as you do not mind push notifications being served by Google.

1 Like

So youre meaning that Librewolf could be a hardened browser for Gnu Pure OS? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It can be considered at least. There are other options I haven’t considered, yet.

Maybe, icecat? I don’t know.

2 Likes

I love Gnu Icecat. However for some technical reason i use Netsurf+Wireguard on my PowerPC and Gnu OS.

1 Like

Frequently Asked Questions – LibreWolf says

LibreWolf also maintains an open WebSocket towards Mozilla’s push server to check wether you have received push notifications from websites you have subscribed to.
With that being said, LibreWolf is still committed to removing all privacy invading connections, and to keep all connections to the bare minimum required to maximize and balance privacy and security.

Librewolf connects to mozilla instead of google for push notifications.

I don’t mind push notifications too much. If you don’t personally use it, mozilla won’t get your personal information. The most they get will be your IP address if you don’t use it.

2 Likes

Already addressed in a different topic:

I think this is disabled on Firefox ESR by default while it was not on the normal Firefox when it was released.

3 Likes

Irvinewade said he has Firefox 131, and that number is not ESR

3 Likes

Then Mozilla may disabled it in all versions after initial release (maybe thanks to negative feedback).

2 Likes

Whatever it is, I don’t think push notification enabled by librewolf is a deal breaker for Pure OS.

1 Like

Purism has a strong stance against Big Tech, enough that they changed the default search engine in Firefox ESR from Google to DuckDuckGo in Byzantium. While DuckDuckGo technically proxies queries to Bing, I doubt that any direct connections and references to Google or other Big Tech entities will be tolerated in PureOS due to Purism’s status as a Social Purpose Corporation.