CPU usage when compiling on the Librem Mini

Can I do the same for Chromeboxes?

I see this CPU has “Configurable TDP-up” 25 W.
Is there any point to cross that limit in firmware (I mean - is it even possible)?

sure. I run mine at 51/28

depends on your power supply and cooling

1 Like

About power supply, I’m choosing between display models capable to supply power over USB-C Power Delivery. It’s much harder to find suitable 90,100W models than 65,85W ones, and they often cost several times more.

So my question is there any point in chasing 90-100W displays or 65W would be enough for any possible cases for this and more powerful CPUs of the same TDP? I’m going to use TDP “overclocking” trick you suggested.

Note:
CHROMEBOX 4 manual suggests 100W so I’m not sure if it even works from 65W:

Supports power (DC) input when connected to
an external device which is PD (Power Delivery)
compliant and a 20V / 5A output.

I’m solving this puzzle several days already and still don’t have convincible opinion…
Any help is highly appreciated.

it will boot fine with 65W, it’s a 15W TDP CPU after all. But I would go with 100W if that’s what is recommended

1 Like

Uff, that makes my choice really harder, but thanks!
Interestingly CHROMEBOX 3 manual (the device I actually have) doesn’t even mentions these figures so it’s not clear how much it needs from PD…

It has this note about different PSUs, though:

NOTE:
The power adapter may vary between models and territories, please
refer to the following for more information on the different adapters:
65W Power adapter
• Input voltage: 100-240 Vac
• Input frequency: 50-60 Hz
• Rating output current: 3.42 A (65 W)
• Rating output voltage: 19 V
90W Power adapter
• Input voltage: 100-240 Vac
• Input frequency: 50-60 Hz
• Rating output current: 4.74 A (90W)
• Rating output voltage: 19 V

How about 245W GaN Charger for $109 at indiegogo.com?

Thanks but the point is to make uncluttered desktop setup without additional PSUs/wires.

It does mention that: “USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C™/DisplayPort combo port … and supports Power Delivery at 5V, 3A”. This tells me that this particular Type-C port outputs 15W, nothing else.

Yes the manual a bit odd but I still hope it supports Power Delivery for input:

With support for USB Power Delivery, ASUS Chromebox 3 can charge a connected phone or accessory, and can also receive power from a supported display or other device, eliminating the need for a separate power adapter for a cleaner workspace uncluttered with cables.

Yes, I can read now what Asus page wrote there but still doubt that this is possible. I think that actually the E13655_CHROMEBOX_CN65_EM_WEB.pdf manual tells us the truth. This Type-C might be easily the one that blocks any kind of PD input and acts just as normal USB3.1 port (not even as Gen2 port). Please research further on this by yourself (make sure it does support …), I’m just another human, but still unsure that Power Delivery input will work with Chromebox 3 (please note that Chromebox 4 is another generation).

Too late, I already bought it… And I couldn’t find more info so far.
But I’ll report here when it arrives, for sure.

1 Like

WITRN PDC003 20V PD cable with E-Marker will help you survive (keep your idea work with DC power connector on Chromebox 3) anyway (here added just in case you might need such cable). Perhaps related DC input already in 5.5×2.5 size as well?

Q: Is there a monitor that can power this by a usb-c while at the same time receiving the video signal from this computer over the same usb-c?
A: Yes. Philips Brilliance 2728. Have single cable set up and is very convenient

Q: How do I use power and video over usb-c?
A: The easiest way to use power and video is with a USB-C hub that supports PD pass through at >60W, though >=80W is best. ioGear has several that meet this requirement and there are many others that should work. Because USB PD is a specification you can use an Apple 87W USB-C power brick with pretty much any USB-C hub and most have a mini DisplayPort and/or HDMI output to connect to the monitor.

In my experience and apparently others have run into the same issue, newer monitors that supply power and video through a single USB-C cable don’t appear to be capable of supplying power in a way that lets the Chromebox boot. Most monitors that supply power over USB-C are targeting the 60W power draw, this is sufficient for laptops since they have batteries to handle spikes above 60W, but may be too little for the Chromebox. There is a 32" Dell that supplies 90-100W, this may be compatible but I don’t have one available to test with my Chromebox.

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/asin/B07CLQZHF9/2/ref=ask_dp_iaw_ql_hza?isAnswered=true#question-Tx1AP38O7MDRKOP

the 90W is for the i5/i7 (KBL-R models)

Supposedly.
Still I don’t understand math behind this because even in worst case this wattage seems excessive…

From teddit.net: “Haven’t had a lot of time to test this more, but my Dell u4919dw (90W usb-c power delivery) is unable to power up my asus chromebox 3 via usb-c.

that’s weird, because I can power up mine with a Lenovo 65W one just fine. But USB-PD is still the wild west I guess

1 Like

Do you have Chromebox 3?

I have at least one of every generation Chromebox here, including an Asus CB3 with an i7-8550U

1 Like