Dogwood, how about some updates on thermals?

Hey everyone :slight_smile: Today marks the end of the first week of july. According to the latest information given by purism, the dogwood batch is supposed to be sent this week. This means we should see some people receiving this second to final batch, and I’m really curious as to how the thermals look for this device.
Since this was one of the major revisions in this specific batch, with the processor being flipped to the other side of the pcb, I would really like to know what the experiences are like for the people that receive it.
This is of course assuming the dogwood thermals reflect that of the mass produced evergreen batch.
Consider this an invitation, if anyone receives their dogwood device in the coming weeks, please don’t hesitate to update us! ^^

4 Likes

The plan for Dogwood is to be as complete as possible so they don’t have to take any risks when they start mass producing Evergreen, so you should not expect any big differences between the two.

2 Likes

Thanks, I hoped that would be the case :slight_smile:

It looks like dogwood has not been shipped after all. According to the current update it seems it is currently going through testing?
No further indication of a possible shipping date. Let’s just hope it’s soon.

1 Like

*verification, sounds more like to check if the phone turn on properly, the switches are working properly and else.
I want to see people reviews about this as well, hopefully they can still improving battery and thermal by software.

1 Like

It sure would be nice to have update on this, both good and bad - as well as unknown, weird, perplexing and frustrating…

Meanwhile, for perspective, its nice to know that there are others that have heating issues as well. Or is it a feature that the user has to account for when using the device…? https://corpseruncomics.com/comic/corpse-run-988-i-mean-really/ At least there is A solution… :cyclone:

1 Like

if ANYBODY decides to keep us posted on the evolution of L5 thermals for the dogwood and evergreen batches, PLEASE do so by specifying what the particular AMBIENT temperature was at the time of taking that measurement and what type of LOAD the L5 was under …

2 Likes

This is now the latest news on Dogwood, from July 10. Sounds like they will be going out soon.

According to the last posts from Purism, when they start shipping, they announce it, so they are still testing the Dogwood batch.
I suppose shipment for next week, since the predefined shipping window of every batch always starts and ends on Tuesday, I bet on 21 July.

1 Like

I add that last shipments always started on Tuesday:
Aspen batch shipped on Tuesday 24 September
Birtch batch shipped on Tuesday 26 November
Librem Mini shipped on Tuesday 23 June
For Chesnut batch there was not an official announcement, it was shipped at the end of December.
So Tuesday is the preferred day because clearly on Monday they take important decisions.

3 Likes

Looks like it’s back to waiting with no idea of what to expect and when to expect it. This is no way to run a business.

1 Like

It seems I chose the wrong Tuesday.
:slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

It was a nice theory. Although… there are a couple of hours left on some timezones if you want to keep hope alive :slight_smile: Or maybe they are sent but the announcement comes later…

Don’t worry folks. We’re working on it as we speak.

8 Likes

And here I thought you all were streaming GUADEC 2020 :slight_smile:
Would have been convenient to have an announcement there…

Non-Purism-employee, non-affiliated customer here: Dogwood on its way :slight_smile:

Edit:
I received my shipping alert email from Purism more than a week ago. From what I understand from previous batches, this means that shipping is imminent. I was so happy that close to three years waiting was coming to an end!

In addition to the phone, I wanted to get a spare battery right from the start, which turns out is currently not an option. I also would have preferred the PLS8 modem over the BroadMobi one. Purism offered me to wait until Evergreen, and I seriously considered doing that. But…I deliberately took a risk on this project in September 2017, and I wanted the phone I backed. So Dogwood it is.

However, because of challenges in my end, I have asked Purism to delay shipment about two weeks. So the phone will not be on its way in the real sense of the word until August, that was just in my enthusiastic mind speaking a couple of days ago. Things can still go wrong, and I’m sorry that I mislead you.

12 Likes

That’s great news :slight_smile:

I’m not sure what to think of this comment, it seems obvious to me that people are working on it. If there weren’t, then that would be an even bigger problem.
It’s good to know nonetheless, but it’s not a lot to go by if you have been waiting for years :slight_smile:
No offense, but having something concrete would be nice.

Depends what “it” is. If “it” is literally, physically getting Dogwood out the door to customers then that’s great - and that is a milestone along the way. Hopefully we can now get some expectations for when Evergreen will go out the door.

Yeah that would be the end goal. What would be great if we would finally get a realistic estimate of how long it takes to ship. Obviously those estimates might change, but if we would at least get notified of such a delay that would be a humongous stride in the right direction. There is a limit to how much patience someone has, and I guess for me personally that has been reached. I’m afraid I have to cancel my order if I don’t hear something soon, because If i wanted to invest in something I’d start buying stocks, not phones I never receive.
I still want it of course, but I want to know how long I need to wait, instead of getting excited every time i hear something, and then get disappointed when purism doesn’t deliver. (I’m talking shipment dates specifically).
Btw if this comes off as angry, then that’s not giving off the right message. I don’t really know of a better way to word my frustration than the way I’ve written it. I’m not blaming anyone, but just frustrated with the way things are going.

2 Likes